Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

New-look TotalRL.com (launching 11th Oct) - Suggestion Box

How should we organise World Cup threads on the forum?   59 members have voted

1. 1. How should we organise World Cup threads on the forum?

• Keep all World Cup discussion in the General Rugby League Forum.
    • Rename the International Forum as the World Cup Forum for the duration of the tournament.
    • Have a separate new section for World Cup discussion.
    • I'm not bothered.
    • I have a different suggestion (please post details below).

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

36 posts in this topic

The TotalRL.com website will be relaunching with a new look, new features and a new forum on Friday 11th October 2013.

Before the new site goes live, we are open to any suggestions existing users might have to make the forum a better and more engaging place for its members.

One area under consideration is to split the Community Rugby League Forum. Please click here to read and comment in the thread specifically relating to that if you have a view on that particular point.

With the World Cup starting soon after the relaunch, I'd be interested to canvas your opinions on how we should accommodate that on the forum. Please vote in the poll!

Any other comments or suggestions can be posted here. Keep it sensible. Please don't drag this thread off topic by suggesting the forum could be improved by banning certain people, etc.

If you're interested in becoming beta-tester for the new site before it goes live, or a moderator on any part of the forum in future, please send me a PM, as we're always on the lookout for willing volunteers.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I think a new subforum would be the best way to do it, maybe sub to the International board.

EDIT:

Part of me would quite like it to just be renamed (for the duration) to something like RLWC and other international discussion, which would hopefully drive more people there to see the stuff that's happening in other countries, but I get the feeling they would all just get lost

I think the pinned threads on the weekend matches work well on the main forum, do that for the World Cup games please.

Sub forums simply stop readers from reading it.

I think rename the Int forum for the duration, with pinned matches - each first match for a nation having a full squad linked/listed

Could you have an ask the ref and rfl section. The twitter feed for the refs is excellent.

I think the pinned threads on the weekend matches work well on the main forum, do that for the World Cup games please.

Sub forums simply stop readers from reading it.

Indeed, the fewer forums the better.

It would be nice to know when someone "likes" one of my posts exactly which one they liked.

Also I've seen forums where hovering over a thread link brings up the first few lines of the first post. Sometimes I want to know if a thread is going to interest me before I open it and thread titles can be very misleading.

It would be nice to know when someone "likes" one of my posts exactly which one they liked.

Also I've seen forums where hovering over a thread link brings up the first few lines of the first post. Sometimes I want to know if a thread is going to interest me before I open it and thread titles can be very misleading.

If you click the "post you made" link in the notification, it takes you to the post

When you mouse over the topic, there is a little arrow appears at the right hand side of the title. Click that and you see a snippet of the first post, the most recent post and (if you've read the post before) the first unread post

I think a separate WC forum is a good idea as there are a lot of threads popping up on it now.

how about realising there are more than the top 8 clubs in super league when organising polls......eg the rookie of the year poll...

If you click the "post you made" link in the notification, it takes you to the post

When you mouse over the topic, there is a little arrow appears at the right hand side of the title. Click that and you see a snippet of the first post, the most recent post and (if you've read the post before) the first unread post

Thanks. I shall try these suggestions.

Please don't ghettoise the World Cup - belongs in general as its the only thing going on over the winter

Just a question to help me with my computer illiteracy.

When I am replying to another post and I only want to reply to a paragraph or a small part of a big post how do I quote only the part of the post that I am replying to and not the whole long article?

how about realising there are more than the top 8 clubs in super league when organising polls......eg the rookie of the year poll...

How about a quota on how many times Widnes and their players can be unnecessarily mentioned in a day?!

:P

When I am replying to another post and I only want to reply to a paragraph or a small part of a big post how do I quote only the part of the post that I am replying to and not the whole long article?

What I do is simply delete all the rest that I don't want to reference.

Just highlight the stuff you don't want and delete it.

You mean some people actually like your posts Sol? ;)

As for the new layout, please don't do what the new superleague website has done and turn it into a Windows 8 look-a-like for the tablet pandering.

These new whizz bang gizmos should be able to adapt and not need a whole new world.

What I do is simply delete all the rest that I don't want to reference.

Thanks to you and deluded pom. I shall try that.

If you're interested in becoming beta-tester for the new site before it goes live, or a moderator on any part of the forum in future, please send me a PM, as we're always on the lookout for willing volunteers.

We definitely need more beta-testers to come forward, so please don't be shy!

In case you're wondering what it involves, basically you'll be given access to the new site  - all of it, not just the forum, for approx 1 week - before it goes live and tasked with trying to break it, then reporting anything you manage to break - or don't easily understand - back to us so we can fix it/make it easier to use before the live launch date.

You don't need any technical knowledge and you can spend as much or as little time as you have available any time of the day/night using your own computer/tablet/smartphone to do it.

Just PM me if you're interested.

Thanks

Can we have a seperate forum for discussing new forums ?  :sclerosis:

As for the new layout, please don't do what the new superleague website has done and turn it into a Windows 8 look-a-like for the tablet pandering.

These new whizz bang gizmos should be able to adapt and not need a whole new world.

Here, here! Ever since, many years ago now, having to try to move files from Digital Equipment's CP/M operating system to Microbloat's first O/S, I have a tendency to break into a cold sweat whenever anybody says upgrade.