Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bedford Roughyed

Plastic Pounds - 2016?

26 posts in this topic

Bank of England are consulting at introducing polymer bank notes.  Could be as 'soon' as 2016!

The future is coming!

I think they had this on Tomorrows Worlds donkeys years ago. Possibly they have better knowledge today of making such a substrate that could do the job.

I think they had this on Tomorrows Worlds donkeys years ago. Possibly they have better knowledge today of making such a substrate that could do the job.

They're a lot more commonplace these days. Other nations have done the groundwork for GB.

Did the Isle of Man not do this years ago???

Early Learning Centre have been doing this forever.....

Doesn't Oz have plastic money?

What Oz doesn't have is copper coins.   Prices are given to a cent, but they round the total up or down to the nearest five cents.

Strictly speaking,  we don't mint any either. We have-copper-plated steel ones, though some of the original bronze ones are still in circulation. You can pick a 2p piece up with a magnet.

Strictly speaking,  we don't mint any either. We have-copper-plated steel ones, though some of the original bronze ones are still in circulation. You can pick a 2p piece up with a magnet.

True.  Someone told me once that a few years back the value of the copper in the old bronze 2p was more than 2p.  You could turn a profit by melting them down.

I think the copper price has fallen now though.

Us old un's remember when Access was our plastic friend.

Wasn't the tag line "Flexible Friend"?

Wasn't the tag line "Flexible Friend"?

Agh yes. That's the trouble with getting old, the memory plays tricks

Agh yes. That's the trouble with getting old, the memory plays tricks

Write your PIN on the back of your Access card, that'll save you having to remember....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25427663

Plastic banknotes that can survive a spin in the washing machine are to be brought into circulation by the Bank of England in 2016.

The Bank argues that the polymer notes stay cleaner and are more secure than cotton paper notes, which have been used for more than 100 years.

The £5 note featuring Winston Churchill will be the first plastic banknote

The future is no actual money at all. All done on cards. Or phones. It'll be sooner than we think

The future is no actual money at all.

I'm already there then.

This will not effect the pound in your pocket!

What Pound, in what pocket, ah!

The Pound in my missus pocket, very important.

I wonder what we'll call them.  There was an attempt to call the pound coin when it came out the "Maggie," because it was hard and brassy and thought it was a sovereign.  I remember speculating that the reason the pound kept falling was that Isaac Newton was pictured on the last of the pound notes.  Don't Scotland still have paper pound notes BTW?