See England take on the best at the 2017 Rugby League World Cup

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gazza77

September Photo Comp "Open theme" - Closed

September photo comp: Open theme   22 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your favourite(s)

• Bedford Roughyed: Urban Landscape
    • Bleep1673: The Fully Monty
    • Bulldog Paddy: Seafront
    • Exiled Townie: Butterfly
    • gazza77: Guy Martin
    • Gingerjon: Bexhill
    • Kenilworth Tiger: Owned!
    • My missus: Storm
    • Padge: Kos Harbour

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

45 posts in this topic

A thread for people to start posting potential entries. Open theme this month, so whatever you want to enter. Hopefully this will encourage a good number of entries. :D

Thanks again gazza for picking this up whilst I'm suffering in the 35 degrees of coolness in Greece.

IMG_1648.jpg

Haven't thrown my hat in the ring for a long time ( no, not a plea for sympathy votes :tongue: ) Heres one from last week in Sandown, IOW

It's good that. Bexhill looks like it's behind the iron curtain.

It feels like it.

Bexhill-on-Sea has the highest average age in the UK, there are so many Retired people there.

OK Folks, what am I doing wrong this time?

Why can I copy the link, but the photo doesn't appear?

In general I'd suggest it's self pity.

You;re posting the HTML code and you need to post the BBCode - just tick the button next to BBCode

You;re posting the HTML code and you need to post the BBCode - just tick the button next to BBCode

thanks

Kos harbour by night

0W1C7059_zps34d649f4.jpg

BBCode sorted

9759052132_6b56a787e7.jpg

Hawkhurst 014 by Bleep1673, on Flickr

3 Bacon, 2 Sausages, 2 slices Black Pudding, 2 of toast with real Sussex butter, Egg from next door, Sussex Mushrooms. Kent Tomatoes, & Heinz Beans, & a big mug of tea, **WARNING** This could harden your arteries just by looking at it

Well keeping it nice and simple, no-one appears to have posted more than one entry to this thread, so I'll just start a poll from here. Quantity and quality this month.  :)

had to go for padge it is a stunning shot, and ET for second choice.

For everybody who has voted can I please ask what you look for in a photo and what sways your vote?

I'm genuinely dumfounded that certain photos have received votes yet gingerjon gets nowt (and no this isn't about my efforts)

I went for -

Gazza - The feeling of speed, the framing, the clarity in the bike and the blurring of back ground.

Padge - The colours, depth of colour/darkness and the lighting.

Don't have a clue about being technically correct but those were my 2 faves this month.

Nothing wrong with gingerjons, just those 2 connected more.

For everybody who has voted can I please ask what you look for in a photo and what sways your vote?

I'm genuinely dumfounded that certain photos have received votes yet gingerjon gets nowt (and no this isn't about my efforts)

I take it you've not voted yet then?

I'm always a sucker for a bit of B&W and I love the single person in shot which makes the photo. So GJ and Padge for me.

I look at a photo and something 'inside' either likes it or doesn't, nothing to do with the 'technicality' of the shot.  Very hard to put into words, and I don't mean this as a criticism of anyone photos, but as you asked, very briefly - Gazza, Padge & Bedford Roughyed probably the three best photos, but all look like they have come from a glossy brochure.  Gingerjohn - a bleak b/w urban landscape does nothing for me.  Bulldog Paddy - almost voted for that one, just not quite sharp enough.  Kennilworth T - great shot, but I have dozens of my grandsons playing like that.   

The two I voted for, My Missus and Bleeps both made me smile when I first saw them, I 'enjoyed' looking at them, in other words they got some emotional response from me, so that's why I voted for them.

(Explanation about as clear as mud I suppose.)

gazza77, technically spot on, bike and rider sharp, motion blur on tyres and pan blur on background, maybe lacks a bit of drama, could be a practice run, maybe needed something to make it look like its in a race.

gingerjon, though an interesting mono study I find the sky too flat and since it dominates more than half the photograph I feel it should be more dramatic. Also the feeling of isolation of the single figure is let down by the couple of shadows in the bottom left. They could be cropped out.

Exiled Townie, unfortunately most of the leaf is sharp and only a little of the butterfly is in focus. If the wings had been and focus instead of the leaf than  it would have been very good.

bulldog_paddy, good composition let down slightly by the half figure on the right and the foreground dominated by the stack of chairs.  Maybe a different viewpoint could have helped but that may have lost the couple sat on the beach.

Kenilworth Tiger, Excellant exposure in difficult light, crop slightly off, better with less turf at the bottom and getting the top of the head in. Focus spot on with great use of depth of field giving us the slighly blurred observer in the background.

mymissus, potentially great pet portrait, crop a little too tight top and bottom and too much of the bin on the right in the shot. What lets it down the most though is the focus is on the door behind storm, this leaves the dog being a little soft. Sharp eyes are the key to this sort of shot, good that it was taken from a low vantage point another must for animals on the ground.

Bedford Roughyed, another technically excellant shot, sharp, well exposed and good composition but with one small, very small gripe from me. I would have like the whole of the top left middle corner to have been in the shot, this would have given a nice balance to the right hand side.

Bleep1673, good foodie shot, the bits of paper are a bit of a distraction, a knife and fork on the table would have added to it. Sharp and well exposed.

Padge, no comment.

Technnically its between gazza77 and Bedford Roughyed for me, artistically gingerjon as usual has put up something to think about and bulldog_paddy's is in there.

I am leaning towards Bedford's has it has technical and artistic merit, though I still haven't made up my mind.