Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gazza77

September Photo Comp "Open theme" - Closed

September photo comp: Open theme   22 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your favourite(s)

• Bedford Roughyed: Urban Landscape
    • Bleep1673: The Fully Monty
    • Bulldog Paddy: Seafront
    • Exiled Townie: Butterfly
    • gazza77: Guy Martin
    • Gingerjon: Bexhill
    • Kenilworth Tiger: Owned!
    • My missus: Storm
    • Padge: Kos Harbour

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

45 posts in this topic

I tend to always vote on the basis of technicality and "like", if there are two that I think are equal technically, then my choice will be based on which I just prefer. I also will only ever vote for one, but that's just my personal choice. So in order of posting...

Gingerjon - well composed, nice lead in lines and the single person in the shot adds to the scale nicely. I agree with Padge however that the sky lacks a little drama given that it is such a large proportion of the image.

Exiled Townie - nicely framed with good colours, however sadly the focus point seems to be on the leaf rather than the butterfly, meaning that the leaf looks sharper than the main subject. 

Bulldog Paddy - nicely composed, and a shot that would be difficult to expose because of the contrast between the light sky and the darker ground. The person at the right of the shot in the front is however a little distracting.

KT - nicely framed and sharp. It looks a little contrived to me, I appreciate it probably isn't however possibly means more to those who know the subjects personally. Shame the top of the head and arm have been lost.

My missus - sadly not as sharp as it could have been and also some parts of the dog have been cropped out. It is however taken from a good angle to get a good image, just could have done with being a touch further back and focused on Storm's eyes.

Bedford Roughyed - nicely composed, focused and exposed. I particularly like the light reflecting from the buildings. Well spotted and shot, my vote went here.

Padge - well exposed in difficult light, sharp and composed using the good old rule of thirds. Would have been my second choice, personally I'd have preferred it had it been taken when the sky was a touch lighter, but that's just my personal preference.

Bleep - nicely composed, exposed and framed, though would have been better imo without the distractions at the edge of the frame.

Mine was selected as I felt it to be one of the best of a bunch shot on that particular day, sharp, good colours and of a subject that is one of the best in his chosen field (road racing). Whether I'm right with my views on my own shot however is up to others to decide!

I actually think that providing constructive feedback on the entries is a good idea, perhaps we ought to do this every month!

Edit: I actually think that the standard of entries is great this and most months. To me, the more that we get the better, and it's good to see a wide range of reasons for voting, as I feel it would potentially put people off if just became a competition based solely on technique. 

Great to have the feedback. Never occurred before but right on all points. Something to note next month!

gingerjon, though an interesting mono study I find the sky too flat and since it dominates more than half the photograph I feel it should be more dramatic. Also the feeling of isolation of the single figure is let down by the couple of shadows in the bottom left. They could be cropped out.

Why must the sky always be dramatic?  I like GJ's photo. Sometimes the sky is bland so why not have that?

Why must the sky always be dramatic?  I like GJ's photo. Sometimes the sky is bland so why not have that?

Its when it dominates so much of the photo, my personal preference is in cases like that the sky should have some interest.

I decided to go with Bedford Roughyed's Urban Landscape.

Its when it dominates so much of the photo, my personal preference is in cases like that the sky should have some interest.

I decided to go with Bedford Roughyed's Urban Landscape.

Well I liked it because it didn't have the dramatic sky that almost always seems to be there in such shots.

bump

We're keeping going until it's appreciated that if you're taking a picture of a dull morning with nothing happening you need a dull sky.

This may take some time.

We're keeping going until it's appreciated that if you're taking a picture of a dull morning with nothing happening you need a dull sky.

This may take some time.

With added dullness behind the camera.

With added dullness behind the camera.

There was the distant sound of a fictitious band.

There was the distant sound of a fictitious band.

Casting aspersions on others will not help you gain votes.

Casting aspersions on others will not help you gain votes.

I'm taking the Bleep approach MORON.

Is it time to close this poll?

Quite probably. I'll give it until tomorrow night for any last minute votes.

Well congratulations to Bedford Roughyed on a well deserved win! Over to you for November's theme.

Any sign of Bedford Roughyed giving us a theme for November?

And thank you for the votes.

It was the new World Trade Centre in New York if anyone wondered.

OOps sorry. 

World Cup?

With slight extension to include October matches?

Well that should provide loads of people with opportunities who don't normally post.

Remember posters, people tend not to vote on the technical aspect of the photograph, they vote for what they like.

So if your out there taking pictures of the World Cup matches/events then if you have a a cracker (in your mind) enter it. You never know you may win the fantastic prize of nothing except bragging rights.