Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

South Wakefield Sharks

James Graham - shoe in for England?

48 posts in this topic

Sam Burgess still plays like a prop. Packing down at 13 is essentially the same as packing down at 8 or 10 these days. I think big George needs to be used as impact off the bench. After 20 mins when defences are starting to tire a bit, someone like him running onto a ball from 10 15 yards out is really gonna test any defence.

in the pack I'd go for

8. S Burgess

9. Roby

10. Graham

11. Ellis

12. Hock

13. O'Loughlin

Bench

Crabtree
Westwood
G Burgess

Hasn't Crabtree made more yards this season than any other prop bar Peacock?..

Stop letting facts cloud your judgement, they have no place on this thread!

Shame the WC has come a year early for Walmsley - he's been absolutely immense for Saints this season.  I would imagine his stats are better than a lot of the SL props being mentioned on this thread, and he offers genuine impact.

Shame the WC has come a year early for Walmsley - he's been absolutely immense for Saints this season.  I would imagine his stats are better than a lot of the SL props being mentioned on this thread, and he offers genuine impact.

I'd still consider him anyway, his size and power could be real handy coming off the interchange bench.

Maybe we should create separate threads where we discuss the various positions for the England squad?

Anyway, I'd say Jammer should be an absolute certainty for a starting role for England. If O'Loughlin is fit then I'd have Sam Burgess as the other starting prop with George Burgess and Chris Hill coming off the bench.

I'd challenge anyone to watch Warrington's games against Huddersfield this season and then reassess Hill's position in the pecking order relative to the admittedly likeable Crabtree. Hill has owned 'the cuddly prop' three times this season, just as Mossop did on Thursday.

Though In his defene, Wigan's entire forward rotation was based on bashing Crabtree, so he has earned a fair bit of respect. He's always looked good at international level and would have top quality support around him.

Looking at this another way I would lose no sleep at all about a pack based around any of these props - burgesses, Graham, Hill, Crabtree or Mossop. Too early for Taylor and Walmsley for mine and I wouldn't be worried to see them in the mix.

Given the front row strength, I would look at Sam in the back row, with Ellis as work horse, Westwood off the bench and lockers if fit we'll be we'll set. Happily, no one has got injured yet. Fingers crossed they get through the next few weeks unscathed.

Sam Burgess still plays like a prop. Packing down at 13 is essentially the same as packing down at 8 or 10 these days. I think big George needs to be used as impact off the bench. After 20 mins when defences are starting to tire a bit, someone like him running onto a ball from 10 15 yards out is really gonna test any defence.

in the pack I'd go for

8. S Burgess

9. Roby

10. Graham

11. Ellis

12. Hock

13. O'Loughlin

Bench

Crabtree

Westwood

G Burgess

My problem with Westwood coming off the bench is he doesn't bring that instant spark that the change is meant to. He's far more effective starting and giving 60/70 great minutes. Hock gives that initial "oomph" off the bench

My problem with Westwood coming off the bench is he doesn't bring that instant spark that the change is meant to. He's far more effective starting and giving 60/70 great minutes. Hock gives that initial "oomph" off the bench

I'd agree with that.

Great pack but McBanana's selection of half backs will ultimately let the England side down.

More to the point, what programme is Graham on, now that his Australian season is over, the World Cup is still a fair way off. Any other Bulldogs player or one from other eliminated clubs who is at or near WC level will be in the Aus or NZ train-on squad. Where is Supermac's train on squad?

More to the point, what programme is Graham on, now that his Australian season is over, the World Cup is still a fair way off. Any other Bulldogs player or one from other eliminated clubs who is at or near WC level will be in the Aus or NZ train-on squad. Where is Supermac's train on squad?

He needs to fly back to the UK, now, surely.

Watching the Bulldogs v Knights match on Premier Sports today and it got me thinking about Graham and the England squad. He's generally considered an automatic for England, but I wonder how people think he has gone this year.

Haven't seen many Bulldogs matches this season, but when I have seen them, Graham doesn't seem to have had the same wow factor as last season. Can't think he's done owt wrong mind!

He obviously had the big suspension at the start of the season, but how has he been going generally this season?

Is he likely to be as devastating as usual for England in the World Cup this year, or is he not currently playing his best footy?

Last season Graham could easily have been awarded the 'Best Prop in R/L' title and easily too. He was simply superb and surprised me as to how differently he could play the game.

I have high lighted your last line because as you may have deduced from my previous comment, I never considered his England form at even close to being described as devastating.

Relentless, of course, but for all he put in I always thought that he achieved so little especially against the top two S/Hemi sides, who habitually handled him with comparitive ease.

This term he has not been so effective but again, considering the decline that his team has displayed he has still managed to sustain a high regard and possibly, has also even enhanced his own reputation too. 

He certainly is going to be a shoe in and rightly so, however it depends on how he is directed to play that matters. If MacNamara insists that he carries out those old bulldozing tactics with which he was utilised for previously, for England, then I contend that his presence will not be fulfilled to anywhere close to what he displays in the NRL. 

Forwards will not dominate enough in this World Cup to dictate the play.

A team that can hold their own in the forwards will have done enough if their Backs cut loose in attack.

Not many teams have Forwards that good to win a game nowadays, the Halves set the play and the backs decide the score.

Forwards will not dominate enough in this World Cup to dictate the play.

A team that can hold their own in the forwards will have done enough if their Backs cut loose in attack.

Not many teams have Forwards that good to win a game nowadays, the Halves set the play and the backs decide the score.

Is that more of a hope than a belief?

This is possibly the first series for the past 40 years that Australia on paper at least, are not seeming to have the most dominant pack.

They are very likely, possibly going to field the oldest pack and again, possibly the least mobile one within a similar 40 year period, something of a change as the same old personnel look likely to be there again in force.

Australia with the backs they have are favourites understandably but the maxim still applies that if the pack fails the backs will flounder.

Maybe this time they will not outlast all opposition, hen their backs will need to be doing more defending than their opponents, that will be a distinct change for them and could easily tip the balance in a tight match, who know's then what the outcome will be?    

Hope he gets picked for England it will be good to see the mighty Jamma play.

It's a pretty good choice on props.  How about we just pick 8 props each match????

Only if Nathan Brown is coach.

i would go with:

sam burgess

roby/lunt

graham

westwood

ellis

o'loughlin

george burgess

hill

morley

roby/lunt