Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ckn

Tourists only come to the UK for London - London Deputy Mayor

42 posts in this topic

A Tory arguing for more state spending on his pet project?

I'm stunned.

I was in York in June at the Railway Museum and it was seething with Americans.

Why? What had they done? ;)

The Japanese certainly like the Lake District.

They seem to like Howarth too.

I met up with some mates in Cardiff at the weekend and just as we arrived to check into the hotel a whole coach full of Americans arrived...I can only assume they were lost.

Bradford gets thousands of tourists every year.

Unfortunately, mainly of the Benefits variety.

;)

Bradford gets thousands of tourists every year.

Unfortunately, mainly of the Benefits variety.

;)

Just for you

Liverpool gets plenty of tourists from around the world. If ever I go there at a weekend the place is crawling with them.

When I was working in Inverness last summer every hotel I stayed in was like a meeting of the UN each breakfast time. Always lots of Spaniards and Scandinavians amongst the usual Japanese and Americans.

One thing I would say however; lots of foreign tourists visit many parts of the UK, but I suspect a vast majority include London at some stage of their itinerary no matter where else they have decided to visit. 

The French, Dutch and Scandinavians seem to like Cornwall and when we go for a winter break down there it seems to always have South Affricans and Japanese tourist  knocking about.

Go to the Lake District anytime and there is every nationality under the sun walking around.

Scotland is a massive attraction to overseas visitors from anywhere and everywhere, in fact in Edingburgh it some times hard to find someone who is Scottish.

London is a key destination for inbound visitors to the UK.  In 2012 15.5 million visitors spent time in the capital, spending over £10bn.  This represents 54% of all inbound visitor spending.

The rest of England attracted 12.8 million inbound visitors who spent an estimated £6.2bn, representing 33% of all inbound visitor spend.  

Some figures here: http://www.visitbritain.org/insightsandstatistics/inboundtourismfacts/index.aspx

The idiots argument could easily be turned on its head by using the simple reasoning that London should spend more on advertising the rest of the UK as people seem to take London in as a bit of a sideshow to our beutiful landscapes,  seascapes and great sporting and musical heritage elsewhere.

London is a key destination for inbound visitors to the UK.  In 2012 15.5 million visitors spent time in the capital, spending over £10bn.  This represents 54% of all inbound visitor spending.

The rest of England attracted 12.8 million inbound visitors who spent an estimated £6.2bn, representing 33% of all inbound visitor spend.  

Some figures here: http://www.visitbritain.org/insightsandstatistics/inboundtourismfacts/index.aspx

Wasn't there a rather large sporting event in London in 2012?

Err aren't the two major airports for the UK in London, with direct connections to alsmost every major city in the world. That would make it pretty hrad not to vist London if you were travelling to the UK

Err aren't the two major airports for the UK in London, with direct connections to alsmost every major city in the world. That would make it pretty hrad not to vist London if you were travelling to the UK

One of the major 'London' airports is in Crawley but thankfully most people have the sense to catch the first train away from there.

Wasn't there a rather large sporting event in London in 2012?

The Challenge Cup Final wouldn't account for all of those visitors, though.

I've written to Bradford Council about the state of the paintwork on Five Rise Locks at Bingley ... it's a disgrace.

It may well be British Waterways' responsibility to maintain the facility but it's a major tourist attraction of national importance and the Bradford Council Tourism Unit should keep a watching brief..

Needless to say, the Bradford Council website does not offer an e-mail address for people to contact the Tourism Unit.

:dry:

Go to the Lake District anytime and there is every nationality under the sun walking around.

I find this very difficult to believe.

I've written to Bradford Council about the state of the paintwork on Five Rise Locks at Bingley ... it's a disgrace.

It may well be British Waterways' responsibility to maintain the facility but it's a major tourist attraction of national importance and the Bradford Council Tourism Unit should keep a watching brief..

Needless to say, the Bradford Council website does not offer an e-mail address for people to contact the Tourism Unit.

:dry:

On 2 July 2012, British Waterways ceased to exist in England and Wales