Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wilderspoolmemories

Club Call

169 posts in this topic

Is there any reason why Tony Smith couldn't put two balls in a bag and pick the team Warrington will play that way?

I don't like the gimmick and there would be no better way than for him to hold a press conference and do exactly that in order for him to show it up for the silly gimmick it is

I don't like the gimmick and there would be no better way than for him to hold a press conference and do exactly that in order for him to show it up for the silly gimmick it is

And if they lose, everyone blames him for showboating and not picking the other team.

What would happen if he refused to make the call?

What would happen if he refused to make the call?

The chairman did it last time because he refused to.

And if they lose, everyone blames him for showboating and not picking the other team.

Yep - I do understand why the RFL put Club call in place, it does technically give the highest ranked team an advantage, but in reality that advantage is eroded by the fact that it can be used as extra motivation by the chosen team.

Even at the moment where it has never really been used and they have always gone with the lowest placed team, people will still state that Leeds were motivated to beat Wire and Wigan due to the fact they selected them.

Now it's easy for somebody like Smith to manage this emotion as he is an intelligent bloke who knows that he hasn't made a choice - the issue is that in sport emotions are very important players and doing things like this can absolutely give Leeds players some motivation, and add more pressure to Warrington players (to use these teams as an example).

Like I say, good in theory, in reality I don't think it's an advantage, and based on that I'm not sure why they should have it.

Maybe one solution would be to give Warrington the Clubcall and they can opt to pass it on to Wigan, so basically the top ranked team always genuinely has the advantage.

Why doesn't he pick who Wigan play instead? That way the team left cant be motivated because he didn't pick them, they were the only ones left ;)

Why doesn't he pick who Wigan play instead? That way the team left cant be motivated because he didn't pick them, they were the only ones left ;)

I was worried until I saw the wink.

Club Call - nobody likes it, but everyone seems to be talking about it!

Everyone I meet seems to think Wire should pick the Giants, but I'm going for Leeds. 

Its a genuine conundrum for Warrington and perhaps the first time its been a 50-50 call.

Wire would be daft not to pick Leeds,a team that have just played a hard fought game,a team who will have picked up a few knocks.A team they took to the cleaners a week earlier.

I think it's been a conundrum every year. We should just pick the lowest placed team, which was Leeds.

If Leeds beat is so be it.

Yep - I do understand why the RFL put Club call in place, it does technically give the highest ranked team an advantage, but in reality that advantage is eroded by the fact that it can be used as extra motivation by the chosen team.

Even at the moment where it has never really been used and they have always gone with the lowest placed team, people will still state that Leeds were motivated to beat Wire and Wigan due to the fact they selected them.

Now it's easy for somebody like Smith to manage this emotion as he is an intelligent bloke who knows that he hasn't made a choice - the issue is that in sport emotions are very important players and doing things like this can absolutely give Leeds players some motivation, and add more pressure to Warrington players (to use these teams as an example).

Like I say, good in theory, in reality I don't think it's an advantage, and based on that I'm not sure why they should have it.

Maybe one solution would be to give Warrington the Clubcall and they can opt to pass it on to Wigan, so basically the top ranked team always genuinely has the advantage.

I don't usually chime in on Rugby threads, but why should the highest ranked team need any extra advantage?

I have said for a few years now, when talking sport, that seeding in any sport is stupid.  Put all the names in a hat and draw them out and you play whoever is drawn.

I agree with Nigel Wood, its for once a very difficult decision whoever wins this week is probably capable of winning the comp, even Hull who lets be honest cant play as bad as the CCF

Psst willy, a little tip for you mate. Don't ever set yourself up as a clairvoyant.

I don't usually chime in on Rugby threads, but why should the highest ranked team need any extra advantage?

I have said for a few years now, when talking sport, that seeding in any sport is stupid.  Put all the names in a hat and draw them out and you play whoever is drawn.

That's a terrible idea when this is still part of the Super League comp. You may as well not have the 27 rounds.

What you are talking about is a cup comp - the Challenge Cup!

He needs to man up and take responsibility, slopey shoulders and excuses already and they haven't even played yet!

He's an Aussie. Were you expecting anything else?

The purpose of Club Call was to generate media interest in the latter stages of the play-offs. It's certainly worked this year!

So Wire have a tough call to make. Wow! It's a tough sport. Just get on with it, and to be honest, Tony Smith getting all stroppy about it, just adds to the column inches. Whatever happens tomorrow, it will generate interest and we're always moaning that no one pays any attention to our sport.

Should be fun. Just enjoy!

Smith ain't daft, he's distancing himself from the decision. Nothing to do with me, not the coaches choice, chairmans choice for financial reasons. No motivation for the other team as its a financial and not playing decision.

He also knows his stance and comments will generate column inches.

chairmans choice for financial reasons. No motivation for the other team as its a financial and not playing decision.

So he'll pick leeds as they'll bring more fans?

So he'll pick leeds as they'll bring more fans?

Not necessarily so, Leeds may bring more fans, they may not. It isn't the only factor. Only the bean counters at Warrington will know which is the more financially rewarding. 

Not necessarily so, Leeds may bring more fans, they may not. It isn't the only factor. Only the bean counters at Warrington will know which is the more financially rewarding.

Leeds or Huddersfield and you think Huddersfield may or may not bring more supporters!!! It's not personal Padge, honest. You just keep posting contentious stuff.

I may have missed something, but Smith has never mentioned that the decision will be made on financial grounds. He has said, he wants nothing to do with it, he'll leave it to others and if he has to do it he'll flip a coin.

I'm pretty sure the club is more ambitious than picking a club which will deliver a bigger crowd - especially when we don't get the gate receipts in full - so with all due respect Padge, I think your comment on that was a red herring.

Leeds or Huddersfield and you think Huddersfield may or may not bring more supporters!!! It's not personal Padge, honest. You just keep posting contentious stuff.

I don't know how many either team will bring. There are however other financial considerations. Leeds last week attracted about 1.000 more for the play-off game than Huddersfield did for the league game. So at first glance you would say, financially its Leeds. The problem is you don't know the in stadium spend. Do Leeds supporters not bother with the bars etc so much, do Huddersfield supporters have a better spend per head ratio. The bean counters will have a finger on what each bar takes for each visiting team, and since the visitors mostly occupy one end and they know how many are in that end they have an idea how much they pull out of their wallets.

If its Leeds are the corporate's more likely to be filled with people watching the game than with free loaders buying extra drinks in the bar.

As the gate money is split evenly for play-offs the financial benifits of 1,000 people is far less than for a league game so you want the ones who are spending in the ground.

I don't know the figures, and my proposition is only based on reasoning it out as to why one club could be more beneficial financially than the other. 

Of course there could also be another big incentive financially, getting to and winning the Grand Final is a massive financial incentive, maybe the bean counters may just look at that.

I may have missed something, but Smith has never mentioned that the decision will be made on financial grounds. He has said, he wants nothing to do with it, he'll leave it to others and if he has to do it he'll flip a coin.

I'm pretty sure the club is more ambitious than picking a club which will deliver a bigger crowd - especially when we don't get the gate receipts in full - so with all due respect Padge, I think your comment on that was a red herring.

I never said that Smith said that, I said he was distancing self from the decision and leaving it to the business to decide. As a business you will decide what financially is the best decision.

Read my previous post, especially the last line.  ;)

Get hudds picked. They'll bring fewer fans, which should keep the atmosphere subdued. We seem to have the measure of them.

Let Leeds and wigan belt each other all over the park.

Smith's been told to change his mind.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/24185944

Strange if its just down to on-field stuff that the other three are involved.

:biggrin:

He was very quick to say we'd pick the lowest placed team without actually looking at what the possible outcomes could be. Its a slightly more awkward choice than the complete no brainer if sts had won.