Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wilderspoolmemories

Club Call

169 posts in this topic

Can't help thinkin that hudds have been a bit hard done to. Three Thursday games, for the league leaders?! Not much of a reward for finishing top is it?

They get seven days between matches and an extra day recovery more than their GF opponents if they beat Warrington. Where's the hardship?

I was thinkin more about the fans. They get slated on here regularly for their poor attendance. And I can't help thinkin that Thursday night rugby doesn't help their cause at all. Or anybody's really.

They get seven days between matches and an extra day recovery more than their GF opponents if they beat Warrington. Where's the hardship?

The "hardship" was in the scheduling of the first play off game on a Thursday, after the last regular season weekend, which put the coaching and playing staff in an invidious position. Obviously, it wasn't sh*t or bust, but it could have been organised differently.

Tbf although I don't mind the thurs night games I can't help but feel that the play off semis should be on a weekend

I was thinkin more about the fans. They get slated on here regularly for their poor attendance. And I can't help thinkin that Thursday night rugby doesn't help their cause at all. Or anybody's really.

Sorry mate, I thought you meant from the players' perspective.

That's the only reason to have the clubcall so at least it's worked in that respect

I think on the face of it Club call is a terrible idea but I think it might accidently turn into something good. It certainly has got people talking

I think on the face of it Club call is a terrible idea but I think it might accidently turn into something good. It certainly has got people talking

Thats what it was supposed to do so its not really an accident. Its just taken a few years for anyone not to pick the lowest ranked team left. This is the first year I think its been a hugely difficult decision but its generated publicity and got people talking so this week already has another edge to it with Hudds having an additional motivation to turn over Warrington now.

I read in 'The Guardian' this morning that the RFL may have paid clubs £5k to ensure a good turnout for the televised decision yesterday, plus and extra £5k to Wire for hosting it.

I can perhaps understand paying expenses, but surely that figure is way beyond reasonable. Clubs have a duty to be there and shouldn't need financial incentives.

They may take the £10k back off of Wire though by way of a fine for Smith not turning up.

Thats what it was supposed to do so its not really an accident. Its just taken a few years for anyone not to pick the lowest ranked team left. This is the first year I think its been a hugely difficult decision but its generated publicity and got people talking so this week already has another edge to it with Hudds having an additional motivation to turn over Warrington now.

I agree with you. I just mean that despite everyone saying it was ridiculous and a gimmick, it has definitely increased talk. ...which as you say it was designed to do. Could it in fact build up a mini grudge league of its own? (Assuming it is still here)

I agree with you. I just mean that despite everyone saying it was ridiculous and a gimmick, it has definitely increased talk. ...which as you say it was designed to do. Could it in fact build up a mini grudge league of its own? (Assuming it is still here)

I quite like it although I think id prefer to be picked than to do the picking. It really does, through no real fault of your own, give added motivation to the opposition.

In previous years this has been kept to a minimum with teams saying they are picking the lowest ranked team left etc but its still used as motivation. This year its gone into overdrive and its been great and a real talking point!

And I can't help thinkin that Thursday night rugby doesn't help their cause at all. Or anybody's really.

It Helps Sky fill a slot when there is usually no football going on that they can cover

In terms of club call as a tactical option, I think Wire have done the right thing.

Huddersfield if you take the league table are the clear leaders in the competition. You can start using theories and things like playoff experience and game intensity, but anyone who has seen moneyball will tell you that it's mainly just people guessing. The only thing that does matter is the raw data.  This year the Raw data suggests Huddersfield are the favourites to win as they have been the most consistent side in intense games and easy games over the season.

Given that information, the question is what do you do with it? 

For me if you are a side that thinks they can win the competition you want to make the final more in your favour.

If you are a team that is not confident of winning then you want the easiest route to the final.

The easiest route to the final given the choice of the 2 teams is Leeds, they are carrying injuries and have just had a humdinger of a game.

However if you want to make the final easier to win, you let Leeds go and take Huddersfield on home turf, were 90% of the crowd will be backing you and giving the ref greif and applying pressure to the away side.

Ref's may try to be neutral, but come on home advantage does have an impact on the odd call.  Even if it's just persuading them to make the right call on a forward, rather than letting it go.

Take your biggest threat on home turf, rather than in a final where it's pretty even.

I  think Saints made this mistake a few years back when we had club call.  We took Huddersfield as it was clearly the easier route to the final.  But for me we should have took Wigan.  In the final Wigan won the game in minutes on a wide open pitch with our players flagging we did not stand a chance.  Had we taken them at home, the very last game at KR, with fans pressurising the ref and players on a narrower pitch it would not have been so easy for them.

For me the question is about the team picking, is making the final the achivement or do you want to win the thing.

In terms of club call as a tactical option, I think Wire have done the right thing.

Huddersfield if you take the league table are the clear leaders in the competition. You can start using theories and things like playoff experience and game intensity, but anyone who has seen moneyball will tell you that it's mainly just people guessing. The only thing that does matter is the raw data.  This year the Raw data suggests Huddersfield are the favourites to win as they have been the most consistent side in intense games and easy games over the season.

For me if you are a side that thinks they can win the competition you want to make the final more in your favour.

If you are a team that is not confident of winning then you want the easiest route to the final.

The easiest route to the final given the choice of the 2 teams is Leeds, they are carrying injuries and have just had a humdinger of a game.

However if you want to make the final easier to win, you let Leeds go and take Huddersfield on home turf, were 90% of the crowd will be backing you and giving the ref greif and applying pressure to the away side.

Ref's may try to be neutral, but come on home advantage does have an impact on the odd call.  Even if it's just persuading them to make the right call on a forward, rather than letting it go.

Take your biggest threat on home turf, rather than in a final where it's pretty even.

I  think Saints made this mistake a few years back when we had club call.  We took Huddersfield as it was clearly the easier route to the final.  But for me we should have took Wigan.  In the final Wigan won the game in minutes on a wide open pitch with our players flagging we did not stand a chance.  Had we taken them at home, the very last game at KR, with fans pressurising the ref and players on a narrower pitch it would not have been so easy for them.

For me the question is about the team picking, is making the final the achivement or do you want to win the thing.

That's superb analysis.

One thing I would say is that this year it has worked in Wigan's favour, in that there is so little between the 2 options, but only one team has given another "motivation".

A football fan in my local pub about 2 hours ago said he had seen something about "club call" on Sky news and asked me to explain what it was all about. I told him how it worked and he just couldn't believe it. Others joined in the conversation asking if it brought extra money into the game etc. I just told them that Rugby League was the greatest game on earth but its run by fools and it is living well beyond its means! (Well, at Super League level anyway). Most people in my local pub would struggle to name a team that they don't see on tv, except maybe Swinton and Leigh because they are fairly local.

That's a great read. I completely agree about Saints messing up with the club call in 2010.

I would contend your post a little bit though.

Going solely off this season then the data certainly does suggest that Huddersfield are the biggest threat in the competition. But you have to balance that against the fact that Leeds still have the core of the same side which has won this trophy 5 times in the last 6 years, data which should never be overlooked. As such which team should we consider to be the bigger threat? For me it's Leeds without a shadow of a doubt. I think Huddersfield have done superbly this year and deserve everyone's respect, but I just can't look past the track record which Leeds boast.

Therefore, whilst I absolutely agree with your logic that it's best to pick the biggest threat now, while Huddersfield have been the better team on the evidence of this season, it would still be Leeds that I'd be wanting to put out as soon as possible. I just can't see how a Grand Final against any other team could possibly be a harder prospect than playing the Rhinos.

I wonder which way Warrington viewed the situation when they made their choice...

A football fan in my local pub about 2 hours ago said he had seen something about "club call" on Sky news and asked me to explain what it was all about. I told him how it worked and he just couldn't believe it. Others joined in the conversation asking if it brought extra money into the game etc. I just told them that Rugby League was the greatest game on earth but its run by fools and it is living well beyond its means! (Well, at Super League level anyway). Most people in my local pub would struggle to name a team that they don't see on tv, except maybe Swinton and Leigh because they are fairly local.

Ask the football fan what he thinks about only teams spending a billion pounds being able to have a chance of winning the PL. Ask him what he thinks of Ronaldo and Bales wages while you are at it.

That's a great read. I completely agree about Saints messing up with the club call in 2010.

I would contend your post a little bit though.

Going solely off this season then the data certainly does suggest that Huddersfield are the biggest threat in the competition. But you have to balance that against the fact that Leeds still have the core of the same side which has won this trophy 5 times in the last 6 years, data which should never be overlooked. As such which team should we consider to be the bigger threat? For me it's Leeds without a shadow of a doubt. I think Huddersfield have done superbly this year and deserve everyone's respect, but I just can't look past the track record which Leeds boast.

Therefore, whilst I absolutely agree with your logic that it's best to pick the biggest threat now, while Huddersfield have been the better team on the evidence of this season, it would still be Leeds that I'd be wanting to put out as soon as possible. I just can't see how a Grand Final against any other team could possibly be a harder prospect than playing the Rhinos.

I wonder which way Warrington viewed the situation when they made their choice...

I'm sure I saw a quote from Adrian Morley which went along the lines of " We think we have more chance of beating Huddersfield"

I'm sure I saw a quote from Adrian Morley which went along the lines of " We think we have more chance of beating Huddersfield"

Morley's quote:

"The board thinks we've got a better chance of getting a victory over Huddersfield," said Morley, who will be making his final home appearance for the club ahead of his move to Salford City Reds. "We've got a very good record against them.

"We've got to concentrate on preparing well and doing our jobs. You can't look back at past records because that will come back to bite you on the backside.

"It's a different game - there's a lot more at stake than there was in the other encounters - so we're going to prepare well and hopefully put a performance in that's worthy of us getting to Manchester."

Ask the football fan what he thinks about only teams spending a billion pounds being able to have a chance of winning the PL. Ask him what he thinks of Ronaldo and Bales wages while you are at it.

He'll struggle, because the 'football fan' doesn't exist.

Morley's quote:

"The board thinks we've got a better chance of getting a victory over Huddersfield," said Morley, who will be making his final home appearance for the club ahead of his move to Salford City Reds. "We've got a very good record against them.

"We've got to concentrate on preparing well and doing our jobs. You can't look back at past records because that will come back to bite you on the backside.

"It's a different game - there's a lot more at stake than there was in the other encounters - so we're going to prepare well and hopefully put a performance in that's worthy of us getting to Manchester."

Cheers.

Cheers.

Anything more to add? Like how your supposed 'quote' was misleading and false?

Morley actually said "we have all been laughing at the Giants, and couldn't believe our luck when they were an option. Frankly, we may as well all go on the lash all week - we'd still beat them. Brough for England? Scotland, more like..." and that's a FACT.