Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wilderspoolmemories

Club Call

169 posts in this topic

A football fan in my local pub about 2 hours ago said he had seen something about "club call" on Sky news and asked me to explain what it was all about. I told him how it worked and he just couldn't believe it. Others joined in the conversation asking if it brought extra money into the game etc. I just told them that Rugby League was the greatest game on earth but its run by fools and it is living well beyond its means! (Well, at Super League level anyway). Most people in my local pub would struggle to name a team that they don't see on tv, except maybe Swinton and Leigh because they are fairly local.

So who was it who was negative towards it, you or them? It reads as though the RL 'fan' had the bigger issue.

What's your point about not being able to name teams not on TV, I suspect that is the same for all sports that people don't follow.

I could name very few RU, Ice Hockey, Basketball teams etc. other than the teams I will have stumbled across on tv or who are very local to me. No difference.

They may take the £10k back off of Wire though by way of a fine for Smith not turning up.

More like pay us an extra £10k for him not turning up. Eddie Hemmings mentioned it at every opportunity and the whole "coach is boycotting it" helps publicity. Controversy sells papers.

I actually think Poching has the official title of First Team Coach, and he was there. Smith is technically Director of Rugby Operations or something similar.

I'm sure I saw a quote from Adrian Morley which went along the lines of " We think we have more chance of beating Huddersfield"

Morley's quote:

"The board thinks we've got a better chance of getting a victory over Huddersfield," said Morley, who will be making his final home appearance for the club ahead of his move to Salford City Reds. "We've got a very good record against them.

"We've got to concentrate on preparing well and doing our jobs. You can't look back at past records because that will come back to bite you on the backside.

"It's a different game - there's a lot more at stake than there was in the other encounters - so we're going to prepare well and hopefully put a performance in that's worthy of us getting to Manchester."

Anything more to add? Like how your supposed 'quote' was misleading and false?

I didn't say my quote was exact,I said it went along the lines of.Someone was actually helpful enough to post the actual quote.Maybe you could have done that.

A football fan in my local pub about 2 hours ago said he had seen something about "club call" on Sky news and asked me to explain what it was all about. I told him how it worked and he just couldn't believe it. Others joined in the conversation asking if it brought extra money into the game etc. I just told them that Rugby League was the greatest game on earth but its run by fools and it is living well beyond its means! (Well, at Super League level anyway). Most people in my local pub would struggle to name a team that they don't see on tv, except maybe Swinton and Leigh because they are fairly local.

I know, the RFL got an idea which was the ONLY story on the Sky Sports News scrolling bar for a good 10-15 mins. Then people who don't follow the game are interested and start trying to find out about the game.

It's a farce, the RFL should do more to publicise the game...

I know, the RFL got an idea which was the ONLY story on the Sky Sports News scrolling bar for a good 10-15 mins. Then people who don't follow the game are interested and start trying to find out about the game.

It's a farce, the RFL should do more to publicise the game...

Don't worry though, as soon as they showed interest there was a RL 'fan' to put them straight that RL is $hiite

We seem to now have the Four Football Fans of the Apocalypse in our midst, you know the guys, every time a negative quote is required they mysteriously appear in the pub.

Don't worry though, as soon as they showed interest there was a RL 'fan' to put them straight that RL is $hiite

This.

Always, always.  This.

More like pay us an extra £10k for him not turning up. Eddie Hemmings mentioned it at every opportunity and the whole "coach is boycotting it" helps publicity. Controversy sells papers.

Your conspiracy theory is wrong:

http://gu.com/p/3jx6j

We seem to now have the Four Football Fans of the Apocalypse in our midst, you know the guys, every time a negative quote is required they mysteriously appear in the pub.

They related to Jerry and the 4 Kiwis of the apocalypse?

They related to Jerry and the 4 Kiwis of the apocalypse?

Probably the same ones but switched sport.  :biggrin:

I'm not sure how they can withhold Warrington's fee for this.

If £5k was for providing a high profile presence then I'd suggest that your Chairman, First Team Coach and Club Captain (one of the biggest names in the game) is surely enough to show that you have taken it seriously. Especially if they didn't fine Smith for not turning up last year.

If the second £5k was for staging the event, then there can be no justification for withholding this, as they did stage it.

As has been pointed out, Smith has given Clubcall more than its fair share of coverage!

If £5k was for providing a high profile presence then I'd suggest that your Chairman, First Team Coach and Club Captain (one of the biggest names in the game) is surely enough to show that you have taken it seriously. Especially if they didn't fine Smith for not turning up last year.

If the second £5k was for staging the event, then there can be no justification for withholding this, as they did stage it.

As has been pointed out, Smith has given Clubcall more than its fair share of coverage!

Smith's problem may be if he was warned last year about not turning up and he would be expected to be there in future.

I don't know if that's the case or not, but if it is he could be in hot water.  I can't see last years snub going without comment from the RFL.

Smith's problem may be if he was warned last year about not turning up and he would be expected to be there in future.

I don't know if that's the case or not, but if it is he could be in hot water.  I can't see last years snub going without comment from the RFL.

Aye, if he was warned fair enough, nothing was mentioned publicly.

Aye, if he was warned fair enough, nothing was mentioned publicly.

May not have been but he may have been written to, or even just a bit of a word in his ear.

Anything more to add? Like how your supposed 'quote' was misleading and false?

Do the board not count as "we" then?

Wasn't a conspiracy theory, more just a throwaway comment.

I'm sure the RFL will be upset to see the game extending it's media coverage.

I think it would be £5k back because he didn't turn up, and £5k as a fine.

Though knowing the RFL, half would be suspended

Wouldn't worry too much as if your've listened to football fans they never stop moaning about the FA... So its what they themselves are used too.... fans can always run the game better no doubt and no matter what the sport....