Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

19/09/13 - SL Prelim SF: Huddersfield Giants v Hull FC KO 8pm (Sky Sports)

Who will win?   26 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Huddersfield Giants by 13 points or more
    • Huddersfield Giants by 7 to 12 points
    • Huddersfield Giants by 1 to 6 points
    • Hull FC by 1 to 6 points
    • Hull FC by 7 to 12 points
    • Hull FC by 13 points or more

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

261 posts in this topic

Ellis wont play for England this year after that, and I think he has a problem with his foot?

Lets hope he doesn't play for England. He has had an awful season.

After watching the playoffs so far I have to doubt the wisdom of McNamara sticking with players in the ETS anyway

Cudjoe was outstanding tonight, admittedly his opposition wasn't up to much but he tore them to shreds

As for club call - Wire will pick the lowest qualifying club and make the Giants go to Wigan, after all it means then they get to play the Giants at OT and the know that ones a banker...

Leeds/Huddersfield GF :)

Lets hope he doesn't play for England. He has had an awful season.

Player of the year at Wests for 3 years running and barely makes an impact in Super League. Just goes to show how poor the competition is in Australia :tongueincheek:

Leeds/Huddersfield GF :)

Yes, please. Out of curiosity, who would the Hull supporters like to replace PG who, if he's got any pride or self respect, should fall on his sword ASAP.

Andy Wilson is not an RL fan, he certainly takes every chance he gets to put the boot in to the game

He can be overly critical and negative at times, to the point where anyone reading an article of his could be forgiven for thinking RL is a load of rubbish.

I think he should stick to reporting on cricket. After all that is now his primary job at the Guardian.

I've given Wilson plenty of stick in the past, but that article is on the money.

It seems certain to spell the end of the road for the club's Australian coach, Peter Gentle, who had already presided over a hapless defeat by Wigan in the Challenge Cup final in August. The pitiful lack of first-half resistance suggested that the Hull players and Gentle himself may well already have been fully aware that major changes are afoot.

I think Andy is right in the paragraph above, it was a god awful display. I have to say though, most teams where Sean McRae has been have struggled at the back end of the season since he left Saints, don't know if that's a factor but poor conditioning may be up there as well

He may not be far off. After about 10-15 minutes I was sitting there thinking something must have gone on before the game. If there's one thing we haven't lacked this season it's fighting spirit but for some reason the players raised the white flag last night.

I've given Wilson plenty of stick in the past, but that article is on the money.

Pretty much

Andy Wilson uses the article to make a number of general comments about the state of RL and the playoff system.

Last night's result wasn't simply a reflection of the impact of the format though; there are other factors involved. Bradford beat Hull 71-0 in the playoffs in 2005. I wonder if as Andy Wilson was criticising the format and bemoaning the state or RL then? He may well have been doing the latter! ;) At least in last night's game Hull scored 18 points, unlike the 0 in 2005.

Hull were playing a side that have had a good season. Hull have had a lot of injuries this season. They have played two more games than Huddersfield and their recent performances have been based on busting a gut in defence. Hull had already lost twice to the Giants this season. Hull had hammered Hudds in last season's playoffs. Hudds were at home. Hudds had one day more to recover after the first round of games. Hudds started strongly and Hull seemed to have run out of gas.

Considering the disruptions they have experienced, I think Hull have done ok this season. Hudds followers are familiar with the Giants getting battered. It's not great to watch but things can improve in time.

Ian Laybourn takes a different approach from Wilson in his report.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyleague/10321238/Huddersfield-Giants-76-Hull-FC-18-match-report.html

Blowouts happen. Nobody saw this coming - the bookies and the fans certainly didn't.

The issue imho would be if people in advance think games will be a cake-walk. I didn't - I was looking forward to it, and I know the vote here was relatively close. Sometimes these things happen.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't want the Top 8 system anymore, I don't think we want our season to finish with a load of games where the fans won't turn up - but using a blowout to argue against this isn't a great argument imho.

One thing I thought was a very perculiar thing was just after the teams warmed up the Hull players all kicked their training balls into the Hull fans - presumably as souvineers

But I couldn't help but wonder why - wouldn't they need them next week if they won v Hudds? Or did they already "know" they'd be done this week?

As I said, a very odd thing to do IMO.

Blowouts happen. Nobody saw this coming - the bookies and the fans certainly didn't.

The issue imho would be if people in advance think games will be a cake-walk. I didn't - I was looking forward to it, and I know the vote here was relatively close. Sometimes these things happen.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't want the Top 8 system anymore, I don't think we want our season to finish with a load of games where the fans won't turn up - but using a blowout to argue against this isn't a great argument imho.

I agree.

Hull put 44 points past Hudds in the playoffs last year when the Giants had a squad that was not radically different, although admittedly the from of the Giants last year was different in the back end of the season.

Player of the year at Wests for 3 years running and barely makes an impact in Super League. Just goes to show how poor the competition is in Australia :tongueincheek:

He got ruined by injuries in the NRL. Looks to be done as a top level player now unfortunately.

He got ruined by injuries in the NRL. Looks to be done as a top level player now unfortunately.

Better we find out now than be 36 nil down after 20 minutes in Cardiff.

Don't be daft McBanana will still pick him, and bloody Ablett & JJB too I bet

Don't be daft McBanana will still pick him, and bloody Ablett & JJB too I bet

Usual anti Leeds ###### I notice.change the record for s sake.

Where's Briscoe going then?

No idea but I noticed he went over to applaud the Huddersfield fans before he came to the Hull fans at the end of the game. Looked as if he was saying goodbye to Super League.

Either that or he's off to Huddersfield. 

Lol you really are paranoid

No disrespect to Huddersfield,but if they get to OT there will be an awful lot more paranoid about the size of the gate.Another nail in the coffin they will all say

Usual anti Leeds ###### I notice.change the record for ######s sake.

Take it as a compliment from a fan of an expansion club that is looking up to the flagship club