Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

19/09/13 - SL Prelim SF: Huddersfield Giants v Hull FC KO 8pm (Sky Sports)

Who will win?   26 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Huddersfield Giants by 13 points or more
    • Huddersfield Giants by 7 to 12 points
    • Huddersfield Giants by 1 to 6 points
    • Hull FC by 1 to 6 points
    • Hull FC by 7 to 12 points
    • Hull FC by 13 points or more

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

261 posts in this topic

No T either ;)

Tsk. Typical Leeds education on show :P

Maybe its the PC out of order.I didn't get to live where I do from a bad education.Is that why you are always sniping at Leeds?its not about RL is it?its about a rundown town 3 or 4 train stops from Leeds

Must admit I fear the Gnats are going to get to OT.For the sake of the game and attendance I hope they don't. I'll go with my heart again and plump for Hull by 4.

I wonder if Mr Davy has ever considered relocating to a city with real RL potential like Wakefield or maybe even Halifax?just a thought

Now! Its constant sniping

Sorry to be on your case but It would appear you started it.

Sorry to be on your case but It would appear you started it.

No After months of it from this mush I decided to give of his own.

To be honest I think Hull will win this one, just cant see the Giants winning this game. What do you think?

I think the sheet fact that so many people think Hull can win and Huddersfield are on a downer ultimately means Hull will put on a stinker and get battered.

I think Hudds will pip us by upping their game. I just hope we put up a decent fight and it's a close game.

I think fieldofclothofgold needs to get some perspective, and a sense of humour

Aaaaaaanyway

It's sudden death footie, anything is possible (who'd ever have though Wire would have choked in the CC semis v Hull for example)

As I keep saying, I've seen the Giants play the same way they did v Wigan half a dozen times this season. Each time they have they've turned it round and come out to put a string of wins together in very good fashion

Hull, like Catalans, looked very flat in defence and won thanks to a piece of outstanding individual work from Shaul and eventually a weary Catalans defence

Am I confident for Thursday? Yes

Am I very confident? No

Am I confident for Thursday? Yes

Am I very confident? No

Rain forecast for Thursday.  :ph34r: Let's hope it has stopped long before kick off.

Rain forecast for Thursday. :ph34r: Let's hope it has stopped long before kick off.

Met office says it'll stop by mid day

I would personally say champion teams wouldn't be looking at the weather to help them.

Some of them just look to the ref. :ph34r:

Some of them just look to the ref. :ph34r:

I wouldn't look to them, they're more inconsistent than the weather ;-)

Sewn all hull games this year and giants are owed one by us but as usual it all depends on the brough factor and weather or not dj can outplay him like he did breirs in the cup.

Brough will need to keep his head or he will cost them the game.

Lynch is back for hull fingers crossed its a good game.

Apart from brough I dont see another match winner for them.

Hull in form win but we aint!

Surprised so many tipping Hull to be honest, I think the Giants might win big tonight. Hope it's a close one and it may well be, but I think Giants will step it up.

It's playoff footie so anything can happen, but if it follows form from this season then the Giants will kick into gear and win this one

Mainly because we just won't play as badly as we did against Wigan (I hope!)

Surprised so many tipping Hull to be honest, I think the Giants might win big tonight. Hope it's a close one and it may well be, but I think Giants will step it up.

I must admit so am I. The records of the two teams over the course of the season make Huddersfield the clear favourites and they are the only team to have beaten Hull home and away this season. They really seem to have had the measure of us over the last few seasons, apart from the drubbing in last season's play offs.

For all that, as things stand this morning they're no nearer to Old Trafford than we are and all the pressure is on them. Here's hoping we can make it an uncomfortable evening for them.

Hull FC’s Ellis wants more fighting spirit

By Joe Smith

Hull FC captain Gareth Ellis wants his side to show more fighting spirit as they prepare to take on Huddersfield Giants at the John Smith’s Stadium on Thursday in the first of this weekend’s preliminary play-offs (8.00pm).
Ellis admits his side have endured some patchy form at times during the 2013 season but he believes that as long as Hull play with the correct character in Thursday’s crucial encounter they can enjoy further success in the play-offs.
“The key for us, when we play well, is that we have a real fighting spirit and that willingness to work really hard for each other,” said Ellis.
“Obviously that now has to continue going into the next round against Huddersfield.
“We’ve played in patches of form this year. We’ve had spells of brilliance and spells of the opposite but hopefully now is the time for a spell of that good form.”
After reaching the Tetley’s Challenge Cup final, Ellis thinks that his side can call upon their knockout Rugby League experience to help them reach a first Grand Final since 2006.
“Getting to Old Trafford is what it’s all about now. It’s a bit like a mini Challenge Cup now, with us having knockout rugby from now on,” he said.
“We just need to keep showing that fighting spirit and desire, and hopefully we can get on the good end of some positive results.”

People see Huddersfield lose and think "wobble has started" still

Hell some people would say it if we had Leeds record in grand finals but hey.

It's all about perception - people think Hull should be higher in the league than they are because it's Hull, big club, big city, big fan base - well below par performances

Then they look at Huddersfield and think the opposite.

/paranoid mode on

It's almost like people are personally insulted that Huddersfield might actually be a good team

/paranoid mode off

Well the bookies are backing the Giants to win

If you fancy Hull Are at 3/1, Giants 1/3

The Giants weren't far off last week, they just played a team playing better. I think they'd win if both teams play as well as they did last week. The concern I would have as a Giants fan is that when FC click, particularly in defence, they are absolutely superb. Even at Wembley, they kept us down to 2 tries. They can beat anyone on their day. FC have really missed Lineham and a fully fit Crooks, as they were good for a try or 2 a game, which would be pretty much all they need when they are in the zone. Should be an excellent match.

People see Huddersfield lose and think "wobble has started" still

Hell some people would say it if we had Leeds record in grand finals but hey.

It's all about perception - people think Hull should be higher in the league than they are because it's Hull, big club, big city, big fan base - well below par performances

Then they look at Huddersfield and think the opposite.

/paranoid mode on

It's almost like people are personally insulted that Huddersfield might actually be a good team

/paranoid mode off

I don't think it's anything to do with perception of Hull being a big club neccesarily, it's judged - mainly - on the recent past in similar games - specifically the playoffs. It's the same reason people think Leeds might do well based on their recent playoff history regardless of where they finish in the league or any situations at their club.

I think any club who get to the top of the game who haven't been there in the past 5 years, people are automatically skeptical of because they are yet to prove themselves - it's nothing against Huddersfield (in general I think you're a very reasonable poster, but some of you're recent musings occasionally tread tin foil hat territory), it's part of sport - or at least RL.

And guess what, lots of Leeds fans think they don't enough credit*/Warrington fans think they don't get enough credit/Saints/Wigan/Every team that has won a game of RL since the dawn of the game. At the end of the day, there is only one thing that will stop the doubters and that's winning the GF. I don't say that out of any malace, I say that as cold hard fact from a fan who's seen his team do it - and face similar accusations until they actually won a final - and come all the way back down. Chill out a bit, because believe me your day will come.

*(incidentally you're comparison with Leeds's final record is interesting, because after last year there were still some Leeds fans going on about them not getting their dues!)

Totally fair post.

One thing that cannot be denied is Leeds recent record in the playoffs lol

(Incidentally, a star that amuses me is Championships won - Leeds 9, Giants 7 - and we've had 40 years off;) utterly meaningless but makes me chuckle )

As EW posted the Giants were close last week, but well undercooked, Baloo has commented this week the out last high tempo game was Wigan away, since then it's been low key stuff - we put 40-0 on Wakey with a not much better performance than against Wigan for example.

Yes Hulls defence is mighty impressive when it clicks - but so is the Giants, and our attack is better when it kicks in too (which last week it very much didn't)

Sure look at previous playoffs, but as they've been doing all year the 2013 Giants are trying to write a new history.

It could all depend on how Huddersfield recover from last weeks match.

It was one of the most intense matches of the season and they faced a Wigan squad with 6 props in the game. That had a massive effect on the Giants.

Crabtree went off after 16 minutes and looked absolutely shattered. He was off for a very long period.

That was after on 12 mins he fell off a tackle on Flower and looked tired then.

Lunt was off for a very long priod as well. Were they not fully fit to start with, did they get injured? Usually both play long minutes and are quality players.

If they are ok then Hudds will win by a reasonable margin, if not and Hull raise their intensity then it could go Hull's way.