Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

19/09/13 - SL Prelim SF: Huddersfield Giants v Hull FC KO 8pm (Sky Sports)

Who will win?   26 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Huddersfield Giants by 13 points or more
    • Huddersfield Giants by 7 to 12 points
    • Huddersfield Giants by 1 to 6 points
    • Hull FC by 1 to 6 points
    • Hull FC by 7 to 12 points
    • Hull FC by 13 points or more

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

261 posts in this topic

The Giants weren't far off last week, they just played a team playing better. I think they'd win if both teams play as well as they did last week. The concern I would have as a Giants fan is that when FC click, particularly in defence, they are absolutely superb. Even at Wembley, they kept us down to 2 tries. They can beat anyone on their day. FC have really missed Lineham and a fully fit Crooks, as they were good for a try or 2 a game, which would be pretty much all they need when they are in the zone. Should be an excellent match.

And therein lies our biggest problem for the game tonight. We have the defence to keep us in the game but I think we're missing too many strike players to win it.

I don't think Hudds will have too much of an issue stepping up after a defeat, Warrington did it last year, and the year before after battering Hudds in Rd 1 we lost to Leeds.

Similarly last year Wigan romped the first round and lost the semi.

It's all open at the moment, I don't think last week is too much of an indicator tbh.

That said, whilst Hudds should be able to step up, Hull's defence can be very good when they get it right, and I think that is the main reason why people think they can do something. They frustrated Warrington in the Cup semi, kept Wigan at bay for long periods of the Cup Final and defended very well against Catalan last week.

Whether they can score enough points to take Hudds down, I'm not so sure, so my vote goes to Hudds.

A lots been said about Hulls win in the cup semi, but I thought they were lucky to come up against a Wire side that were well below their best

Either way I'm hoping Cup Final Hull turn up ;)

It could all depend on how Huddersfield recover from last weeks match.

It was one of the most intense matches of the season and they faced a Wigan squad with 6 props in the game. That had a massive effect on the Giants.

Crabtree went off after 16 minutes and looked absolutely shattered. He was off for a very long period.

That was after on 12 mins he fell off a tackle on Flower and looked tired then.

Lunt was off for a very long priod as well. Were they not fully fit to start with, did they get injured? Usually both play long minutes and are quality players.

If they are ok then Hudds will win by a reasonable margin, if not and Hull raise their intensity then it could go Hull's way.

This more or less says it for me, when fans say how bad their team were ( after a defeat ) they don't usually bother to say that the other team were so good, but It's more often than not the case. I have seen the Giants play a lot better this season, I've also seen them play worse, Wigan turned up on the night and in the second half particularly were just too good everywhere on the field, especially in the forwards.

I can't call tonights match, i just think it will be who turns up on the night, If we turn up and play like we have against Leeds for eg it could be our night ,If Hull put in a show like against Wolves theirs, If they both turn up it should be a cracker, I just think they are well matched in quality, maybe last weeks defeat and home advantage could just swing it ,I hope so but i just can't call it.

A lots been said about Hulls win in the cup semi, but I thought they were lucky to come up against a Wire side that were well below their best

I can almost smell the tension.

The last time Huddersfield topped the league in 31/32 they lost to Saints in the Championship final so Giants tonight and Saints to beat them at OT.

whilst we werent at our best, they also did us in the league in a similar style. Defend for all their worth and hope for some points.

Totally fair post.

One thing that cannot be denied is Leeds recent record in the playoffs lol

(Incidentally, a star that amuses me is Championships won - Leeds 9, Giants 7 - and we've had 40 years off;) utterly meaningless but makes me chuckle )

As EW posted the Giants were close last week, but well undercooked, Baloo has commented this week the out last high tempo game was Wigan away, since then it's been low key stuff - we put 40-0 on Wakey with a not much better performance than against Wigan for example.

Yes Hulls defence is mighty impressive when it clicks - but so is the Giants, and our attack is better when it kicks in too (which last week it very much didn't)

Sure look at previous playoffs, but as they've been doing all year the 2013 Giants are trying to write a new history.

Well that was always part of the legend never won title up to 1961"curse of the Bambino "etc.It is suggested that if not for Leeds Parish Church disbanding and Leeds getting the pick of their players Association Football was ready to move In at Headingley.Leeds were the weakest of the 5 clubs in the city.The championship eluded Leeds for over 60 years not even the first great side of the 30s could win the title  ,but by 1957 they had won the cup 7 times 1 more than the great team of all talents.Era's change and now its gone full cycle the club don't seem to be able to win the cup.

Hence my "utterly meaningless" comment, trust me I am all too aware that era's change

Fortunately I'm getting to finally (hopefully) enjoy a good one for the Giants

It could all depend on how Huddersfield recover from last weeks match.

It was one of the most intense matches of the season and they faced a Wigan squad with 6 props in the game. That had a massive effect on the Giants.

Crabtree went off after 16 minutes and looked absolutely shattered. He was off for a very long period.

That was after on 12 mins he fell off a tackle on Flower and looked tired then.

Lunt was off for a very long priod as well. Were they not fully fit to start with, did they get injured? Usually both play long minutes and are quality players.

If they are ok then Hudds will win by a reasonable margin, if not and Hull raise their intensity then it could go Hull's way.

Well now Ted, I'd agree with a lot of this. Hudds followers know they are a bit light in the forwards, following losing O'Donnell and Fielden and Crabtree and Kopczak are having to do more than their fair share as props  and the Giants were overpowered last week after a promising start. Larne Patrick doesn't really hack it as a conventional prop. I agree about Lunt; he seems to have been carrying a knock for a few weeks. Hudds need his skills as a hooker and his try scoring threat.

No doubt they have been looking at making more metres than last week and controlling possession more effectively.

Just can't see Huddersfield having another poor game... I think Anderson will turn the forwards back on to the straight and narrow...

Could go one of four ways.

Either we turn up and Hudds don't, which will be a shock Hull win.

Hudds turn up and we don't, which will be a big win.

We both turn up, which will be a great game but Hudds pull away in the end.

Or neither turn up and it ends up being another Wembley dullfest, with ultimately a boring Hudds win.

As long as Hull turn up, it should be a close contest no matter what.

Rain seems to have done one now in HD1, but humid though

Starting to feel confident about this one - which means should we lose I will be firmly blaming the ref ;)

Rain seems to have done one now in HD1, but humid though

Starting to feel confident about this one - which means should we lose I will be firmly blaming the ref ;)

I have not read one Leeds fan who blamed the Briers incident for their defeat.

I have not read one Leeds fan who blamed the Briers incident for their defeat.

Who even suggested that?

Hull FC don't have a chance without Richard Whiting.

Hull FC don't have a chance without Richard Whiting.

Oh ######. I hope these first ten minutes don't set the tone for the whole game.