Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Future is League

Matt Bowen to Super League?

29 posts in this topic

He'd be about the best option for us, to get us through a "transitional" year until the young guns take over.

"England's freezing north", nothing like a good tried and tested cliche.

Surprised at Wigan signing someone so late on in their career when their own youngsters are playing well. I suppose his experience will help the young 'uns though.

One of my favourite all time players. Looks like it may only be a one year contract, which would be ideal for all parties... Wigan get an experienced fullback for their up and coming youngsters Lewis Tierney and Ryan Hampshire to learn from, whilst Bowen gets one last paid day before retirement.

from what i have seen teirney doesn't look the best option, call me a cynic but if his dad wasn't jason robinson would he be there? my grandson has played against and outplayed ellery hanleys lad but i bet hanleys lad gets picked up......my grandson has by warrington.

from what i have seen teirney doesn't look the best option, call me a cynic but if his dad wasn't jason robinson would he be there? my grandson has played against and outplayed ellery hanleys lad but i bet hanleys lad gets picked up......my grandson has by warrington.

Tierney is a very good player. Regular try scored in the 19's comp. He is only 18 and will need time.

From what little I've seen of Lewis tierney he looks a decent prospect and a good potential squad player who may bloom into a regular player for Wigan or another super league team. Comparing him to his dad is just ridiculous and unfair as Jason Robinson in my opinion of watching RL over 25 years is easily in the top 3 best British players I've ever seen alongside Martin offiah and ellery Hanley, these types of players only come around every 10 or 15 years.

Sarginson may play as Bowen's under study.

Hampshire is a 6. And an international within 3 years.

Sarginson may play as Bowen's under study.

Hampshire is a 6. And an international within 3 years.

Sarginson needs a settled position, be it fullback, centre or stand off, all this moving him about is stalling his development and career just like lee Gaskell and johny lomax(before nailing the saints fullback position). As for Hampshire his talent and potential is there for all to see as was Tomkins when he broke into the first team.

Don't think he's about to sign for Wigan at all!

My sauces tell me he's already signed!

Ketchup or Mustard?

Ketchup or Mustard?

My mate Tom K's a good sauce and he reckons that rumours that Bowen has already signed should be taken with a pinch of salt.

My mate Tom K's a good sauce and he reckons that rumours that Bowen has already signed should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Very good. I bet you get a lot more condiments about that post.....

I can see Hull making a move for him. We're used to playing ketchup.

The best we could have hoped for. We just need to get him the best possible medical support to get and keep him on the field.

Good short term signing for Wigan this allowing the likes of Hampshire and tierney the chance to learn from one of the best fullbacks in the game as they are eased into the first team setup.

He's certainly an outstanding talent. Time will tell whether his body can hold up but I don't think he's had too many problems over the last couple of years and he was in sensational form in 2012. 

I suppose this all but confirms Tomkins departure then?

Edit: Just seen the other thread and confirmation on Superleague website.

Good short term signing for Wigan this allowing the likes of Hampshire and tierney the chance to learn from one of the best fullbacks in the game as they are eased into the first team setup.

I think we may have Sarginson lined up for cover at 1.

Hampshire is a half back.

I think we may have Sarginson lined up for cover at 1.

Hampshire is a half back.

With Blake green at the club do you think Hampshire will have a longer wait playing 6 than fullback?

With Blake green at the club do you think Hampshire will have a longer wait playing 6 than fullback?

Green is lucky that Hampshire isn't getting a start at 6 already. I agree with Exiled, Hampshire is a 6, but wouldn't be surprised if he filled in at full back when Bowen gets a knock. If Wigan sign Sarginson I think the aim will be that he plays a utility role in the backs, like a homeless man's Ratchford.