Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ckn

UKIP and Guido Fawkes

34 posts in this topic

Oh dear... Guido Fawkes posted a bit of a side-swipe dig, as he does, at UKIP for having a front cover of their conference full of hundreds of people, all white.  It's obviously got the UKIP people a bit frothy mouthed as the comments are quite amusing to read.  Linky to Guido Fawkes blog

The most sensible comment on there is:  Vote UKIP... get Miliband.  Very true and something many UKIP voters really just don't seem to get.

The comments on that site - dear me, there are some incredibly stupid/pompous/revolting people on the internet.

The comments on that site - dear me, there are some incredibly stupid/pompous/revolting people on the internet.

Unfortunately those same people live in the real world aswell

Unfortunately those same people live in the real world aswell

Thankfully most of them don't get out much...

Ignore for a minute that it is UKIP. The big 2 parties always come out with this 'wasted vote' line. What they really mean is they don't want their respective positions challenged and the status quo changing.

Ignore for a minute that it is UKIP. The big 2 parties always come out with this 'wasted vote' line. What they really mean is they don't want their respective positions challenged and the status quo changing.

There is that but, rare and very unusual coalitions aside, protest votes generally are wasted.  In this case though, each Tory that votes UKIP is a bonus for Labour.  There are UKIP members from all aspects of society but there are a disproportionate number of people I've seen saying "I used to vote Tory but now UKIP".  I suppose it's the same as those, like me, who gave up Labour and voted Lib Dem only to see my vote essentially go to create a Tory government.

It's ironic that they peddle the "wasted vote" but still claim that the voting system is fair.

It's difficult to work out who's worse - UKIP, Guido Fawkes, or the people commenting on Guido's website.

Vote UKIP... get Miliband.  Very true and something many UKIP voters really just don't seem to get.

Vote Tory and get Clegg; it's the flip side of the same coin.

It's difficult to work out who's worse - UKIP, Guido Fawkes, or the people commenting on Guido's website.

They are all worse.

I have just heard the Geoffrey Bloom 'sluts' comments. I may be the only one who thinks this but I think there has been a ludicrous over reaction. It was clearly a joke and IMO it is a worrying sign if hysteria like this occurs.

I have just heard the Geoffrey Bloom 'sluts' comments. I may be the only one who thinks this but I think there has been a ludicrous over reaction. It was clearly a joke and IMO it is a worrying sign if hysteria like this occurs.

If you or I said it in front of our mates, definitely. But for a politician at a public meeting no, not at all. Put it this way, f I said such a thing while at work I'd expect to be disciplined. And if I said it a meeting with a client possibly the sack.

Its an interesting problem for me that I can't vote for either of the two major parties.

I can't vote labour because of their record of fiscal irresponsibility and lack of business sense.

I can't vote conservative because of their socially conservative pro religious outlook, not to mention that the fringes like to change leader whenever possible. (OK labour can go in for that last one at times too)

Going smaller I can't vote lib dem because they've proven they can't negotiate or stick to their guns.

I can't vote UKIP because I don't agree with any of their major beliefs.

The only answer for me is smaller political parties that actually know what they stand for, and a better electoral system. Neither is likely to happen. OK it would mean more coalitions but I honestly don't think that would be a disaster. Germany seems to manage quite well.

PS isn't there a day coming up when its fitting to burn Guido Fawkes?

If you or I said it in front of our mates, definitely. But for a politician at a public meeting no, not at all. Put it this way, f I said such a thing while at work I'd expect to be disciplined. And if I said it a meeting with a client possibly the sack.

Whilst I know what you mean, it was definitely done in a jokey style and not malicious. It isn't even like he said it in private behind anyone's

back.

And how long until someone is reported for something similar in a private conversation?

Its an interesting problem for me that I can't vote for either of the two major parties.

I can't vote labour because of their record of fiscal irresponsibility and lack of business sense.

I can't vote conservative because of their socially conservative pro religious outlook, not to mention that the fringes like to change leader whenever possible. (OK labour can go in for that last one at times too)

Going smaller I can't vote lib dem because they've proven they can't negotiate or stick to their guns.

I can't vote UKIP because I don't agree with any of their major beliefs.

The only answer for me is smaller political parties that actually know what they stand for, and a better electoral system. Neither is likely to happen. OK it would mean more coalitions but I honestly don't think that would be a disaster. Germany seems to manage quite well.

PS isn't there a day coming up when its fitting to burn Guido Fawkes?

You could vote Green.  They seem a sensible bunch on many issues.    Depending where you live you might even have a local party string enough to win council seats.

You could vote Green.  They seem a sensible bunch on many issues.    Depending where you live you might even have a local party string enough to win council seats.

Until the Greens become sensible on nuclear power (eg support research in to fusion and MSR's) instead of this blanket 'everything nuclear is bad' idea I have problem with how they look at science. I just can't seen any other realistic way of reducing our carbon emissions.

In fairness though they are probably as close as I'll get at the moment without starting my own party, which would undoubtedly only get one vote, possibly two if my wife was feeling generous.

Until the Greens become sensible on nuclear power (eg support research in to fusion and MSR's) instead of this blanket 'everything nuclear is bad' idea I have problem with how they look at science. I just can't seen any other realistic way of reducing our carbon emissions.

In fairness though they are probably as close as I'll get at the moment without starting my own party, which would undoubtedly only get one vote, possibly two if my wife was feeling generous.

I think it's not so much science that is their problem but technology.  I think they're still too anti-technology to get my vote and support, but they are at least a realistic alternative to the big 3.     If I didn't vote Labour I would almost certainly vote Green.

I'd agree that there's been an over-reaction but in this day and age you can't make jokes and use loaded terms like that. There are certain words that you just can't use no matter what the situation, take the N word for instance.

I'd feel slightly sorry for the guy but Bloom is a clown and he is living in the past. I first came across him in an interview where he was arguing that people not being able to sack staff for getting pregnant was 'like the Soviet Union' and 'just maaaaaaaadness.'

I'd agree that there's been an over-reaction but in this day and age you can't make jokes and use loaded terms like that. There are certain words that you just can't use no matter what the situation, take the N word for instance.

I'd feel slightly sorry for the guy but Bloom is a clown and he is living in the past. I first came across him in an interview where he was arguing that people not being able to sack staff for getting pregnant was 'like the Soviet Union' and 'just maaaaaaaadness.'

I aren't saying I agree with him or even have any time for him. I just think people are too quick to get carried away and over react. The way I heard it presented was that he called all women sluts when in reality it was just a throwaway remark about cleaning behind the fridge.

I aren't saying I agree with him or even have any time for him. I just think people are too quick to get carried away and over react. The way I heard it presented was that he called all women sluts when in reality it was just a throwaway remark about cleaning behind the fridge.

Exactly. However, he deserves to go for not anticipating the storm. Plus sadly, the fewer clowns in UKip , the better they will do. There is, though still some way to go.

Exactly. However, he deserves to go for not anticipating the storm. Plus sadly, the fewer clowns in UKip , the better they will do. There is, though still some way to go.

So basically we end up with a load of politicians who only say things on a pre prepared script. Then people will complain about soulless politicians reading to a script :rolleyes:

I'm happy that Bloom's gone and Farage showed decisiveness in removing the whip.  Anything that makes UKIP more credible is good stuff as far as I'm concerned, the more credible they are then the more Tory voters they get.  Every extra Tory defector reduces the chance that there's going to be a Tory majority next time around.  I acknowledge that they have a wider appeal than just Tories but the largest proportion of new voters will come from Tory ranks.

Also, the democrat in me is happy that there's a substantial party out there for people who are strongly anti-EU.  The Tories despite their occasional rants are secretly quite happy that we're in the EU and most people know that, UKIP gives them a different option.