Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wellsy4HullFC

So... What's Wrong At Hull FC?

39 posts in this topic

Well, I'm completely puzzled by this. Great stadium. Large fan base. Recognisable club steeped in history. Owner who can splash the cash. Good juniors coming through.

How can a club like that produce a 76-18 loss in a play-off game?! What's going wrong? It's easy to just blame the coach but surely there must be more to it than that?

I'm hoping someone looking from the outside can offer some insight that maybe myself and the other Hull fans aren't seeing! It's just completely deflating.

The same problem that has plagued Hull for a few years,the lack of a consistent creative halfback.

Did you lose any other games by a similar margin? I don't recall any.

Perhaps you are putting too much emphasis on one game (even if it was a shocker).

Well, I'm completely puzzled by this. Great stadium. Large fan base. Recognisable club steeped in history. Owner who can splash the cash. Good juniors coming through.

How can a club like that produce a 76-18 loss in a play-off game?! What's going wrong? It's easy to just blame the coach but surely there must be more to it than that?

I'm hoping someone looking from the outside can offer some insight that maybe myself and the other Hull fans aren't seeing! It's just completely deflating.

Hull got hammered in the playoffs in 2005 but they also won the Challenge Cup that year. Sometimes there are very mixed fortunes in a season. Hull got to the CC Final this season. Hull have some decent young players. Things can improve.

Recovery from having Kath Hetherington as the Chair Person will take a while.

They had problems before that,any excuse eh!

I don't see why this result should be a shock when their recruitment policy consists of bringing in average players from bottom-half teams.

don't fret...it was a one off. Happens to all clubs.

don't fret...it was a one off. Happens to all clubs.

Sometimes it's a lot more than a one off, I can swear to that . I'm not suggesting this is the case with Hull, I don't know what happened last night but their defence has been winning them games, I've only seen them 5 or 6 times this season and i've been waiting for them to click and give someone a right beating themselves, It looks like the aussies have seen the best of Ellis, Brisco going and Lynch, and for me Holdsworth has not really done the business yet, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gentle go.

There are often threads about the Giants deserving better support, at Hull it's more the other way round at the moment, They do get to finals and win things from time to time, remind me a lot of Warrington before they hit it big with T Smith and the new stadium,

Hull have all the right things in place to be a big club, sooner or later it will come right .

I wasn't suprised players like Pitts,Johnson and Crookes are barely SL standard. Gareth Ellis seems to be there only to earn his pension.

Then there are Arundal and Thompson very average Cas players at best. Feki seems another crazy signing. Hull will never ever be anything

other than a bottom half club if they continue to sign bottom half players.

I may well report Wellsy for plagiarism.

There was a thread with exactly the same title and sentiments before as he no doubt knows, surely there's no justification for another one?

Or maybe there is.

Perhaps I'll just shut up.  :(

Loads of cash but always employ a hopeless coach and hopeless 'director of rugby' who in turn signs hopeless players. That simple, really. Must be ridiculously frustrating to support them.

Bloody hell, some clubs / fans would kill for what the FC fans have had in the last decade.

Cc winners in 2005, saints, Wigan and wires only winners since.

fc like wires are the only clubs other than bulls, rhinos, saints and pies to play in a grand final.

Brand new stadium

Cheer up gentlemen.......

See I can think and be respectful !!

keep buying players from cas, and eventually you will become..........cas

Bloody hell, some clubs / fans would kill for what the FC fans have had in the last decade.

Cc winners in 2005, saints, Wigan and wires only winners since.

fc like wires are the only clubs other than bulls, rhinos, saints and pies to play in a grand final.

Brand new stadium

Cheer up gentlemen.......

See I can think and be respectful !!

No disrespect but Hull FC should be doing more than the occasional cup final appearance

If anyone had said before the start of the season we'd get to Wembley *and* make the second round of the playoffs I'd have laughed and told them where to go.

The manner of both high profile defeats is what makes it hard to be pleased with the season's achievements.

If anyone had said before the start of the season we'd get to Wembley *and* make the second round of the playoffs I'd have laughed and told them where to go.

The manner of both high profile defeats is what makes it hard to be pleased with the season's achievements.

I'm shocked if any Hull FC fan would be happy with this season when you consider The club's set-up, their potential and financial well being. Manager must go for them to move forward.

keep buying players from cas, and eventually you will become..........cas

Ouch! Those scratches sting....

Some of the other posts in the thread do capture it more eloquently.

A few eyebrows were raised at Cas when they came in for Arundel. Westerman has not developed as planned & to me looks like he is coasting.

They look desperate for a Dobsonesque type half and a coach who can get some devil & mongrel into them

I'm shocked if any Hull FC fan would be happy with this season when you consider The club's set-up, their potential and financial well being. Manager must go for them to move forward.

I didn't say I was happy. However, if we'd have gone down in the manner of St Helens in both the CCF and last night's game, we probably would be. On the whole, Hull FC have improved on the last few seasons. Rome wasn't built in a day and all that. Perhaps Gentle has taken us as far as he can. I woukd be looking at stengthening tue back room staff, personally. As nice as Andy Last and Lee Radford are, I'm not convinced theyre the best people for those positions. I'd like to see them prove themselves elsewhere and then come back when they've climbed the ladder of coaching experience. Some new blood in the backroom, people who haven't been slowly institutionalised at the club, could work wonders for the culture of Hull FC.

I disagree with a lot said about Hull's squad, i think it is reasonably strong and should never be having 70 point on them. For example, compare the back row of both teams yesterday:

If you compare the teams on paper, Hull should have been competitive at the least.

I look at teams game plans and if the players know their roles and it is apparent Hull have no plans and the players haven't got a clue, that boils down to the coach.

Hull have actually gone backwards under Gentle, he may be a nice bloke but he can't coach. A good coach can make any teams improve and individually the players have gone backwards as well, i can't believe the role which he has had Westerman playing.

Crooks, Lineham and Shaul offer hope for the future but they will need a better coach to take them forward.

They look desperate for a Dobsonesque type half

The problem is we've wanted a good halfback for the last fifteen years and it's like nobody at the club can see it. I was hoping Miller might fit the bill but I'm not impressed so far. Maybe he might prove me wrong with a good pre season under his belt where he can impose his game onto the team and take it into the new season

I think Miller has done very well under the circumstances.

He'll be even better with a good preseason, markmiwerdz.