Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wellsy4HullFC

So... What's Wrong At Hull FC?

39 posts in this topic

Interesting viewpoints. The city certainly produces several great young players. Cooke, Yeaman and Horne were the ones in the mid noughties. Rovers started to produce a couple too. Hull don't seem to be able to find the half backs but Rovers have done quite well there.

Are the coaches always to blame? Easy target but Rovers have had a decent coach or maybe two, the current one has done well despite Wigan picking off Taylor and Blake Green etc. Now Briscoes going so a problem is top players maybe don't see Hull as a place where they are going to win anything. Still there's always overseas players to shore up the gaps and again Rovers have picked some great imports from Vella to Patterson.

Certainly in recent years enough top quality in terms of coaching, young local players, quality imports and creative halfbacks have arrived in the city of Hull but they've been split up with some to the KC and some to NCP and have never come together in one side. In failing to compete with the big four/five, it seems some of the quality then hit the road to go looking for medals. Pearson has the money but so do the successful sides who also offer medals. Anyway to get two sides finishing in the top eight and 18,000 regular Hull/Rovers bums on seats is an achievement of sorts.

simply too many non sl standard players-pitts,watts etc- if the good youngsters don't see quality coming in to the team they will "want away" am sure leeds Salford hudds will have a spot for them.

simply too many non sl standard players-pitts,watts etc- if the good youngsters don't see quality coming in to the team they will "want away" am sure leeds Salford hudds will have a spot for them.

Not just youngsters like Briscoe, but quality imports like Manu. Same at Rovers where young Taylor turned HullFC down for Wigan and quality import Blake Green went with him......

Not just youngsters like Briscoe, but quality imports like Manu. Same at Rovers where young Taylor turned HullFC down for Wigan and quality import Blake Green went with him......

Before he came to England would you have called Blake Green a "quality" import?

I feel like I've given my own view on this enough times to be considered some sort of troll.

There seems to have been a bedrock of players who have been omnipresent through years of underachievement who are basically undroppable. And if they are dropped, as soon as their replacement has a poor game they're rushed back into the side. 

A Hull fan on another forum described Yeaman better than I ever could: like that bloke in work who does ###### all all week, and then turns up on Saturday for the overtime because he's so far behind.

Incidentally, I see Westerman as the next player to join this club.

Before he came to England would you have called Blake Green a "quality" import?

No but he turned out to be quality enough for a top club to take him away from the city of Hull. Watched him live sew up the play off game at Fartown . Equally Willi Manu is a top top player watched him live last night and Saints took him away from the city too. So whether you develop your own stars or whether imports star for you, the top clubs take them away and that's a problem.

So you need a top club in Hull not two mediocre ones don't you? To have a top team you surely need young talent like Briscoe, Taylor, AND imports like Green and Manu staying put.

Hull FC seem to have had a glass ceiling for a long time now.

Is it because they (may) always have half an eye on Hull KR?

There was always a tendency to blame their annual injury crisis, so is there a problem with the quality of the backroom staff?

Certainly in recent years enough top quality in terms of coaching, young local players, quality imports and creative halfbacks have arrived in the city of Hull but they've been split up with some to the KC and some to NCP and have never come together in one side. In failing to compete with the big four/five, it seems some of the quality then hit the road to go looking for medals.

Are you making stuff up again?

Ah yes, definitely making stuff up.

Taylor didn't turn Hull down. Hudgell wouldn't sell him to Hull.

But if it fits the argument...

Is it because they (may) always have half an eye on Hull KR?

HKR have an effect as the always welcome correction states. Hudgell barred a top prospect as far as Wigan were concerned going there. If junior development is the way forward the two Hull clubs will be fighting each other over that. Hull have already tried to milk HKR for talent enticing players to cross over. If Hull succeed in capturing the best they may well rise to the top again, maybe at the neighbours expense. And that's my lot on the growing pains on Humberside.

When I went to watch Leeds at Hull this season I was impressed at how well Hull played and it could have been a landslide first half for Hull if they hadn't blown at least x3 maybe x4 golden opportunities.  As it was the game was won easily by Hull in that first half.

So I left Hull thinking they would be real challengers, especially considering how easily they opened up Leeds.  So ignoring that Leeds had a couple of injuries as in any game it seems odd to me to go from that sort of performance to that at Huddersfield.

If I was a Hull fan I'd be remembering the Leeds trouncing as the real Hull.

When I went to watch Leeds at Hull this season I was impressed at how well Hull played and it could have been a landslide first half for Hull if they hadn't blown at least x3 maybe x4 golden opportunities.  As it was the game was won easily by Hull in that first half.

So I left Hull thinking they would be real challengers, especially considering how easily they opened up Leeds.  So ignoring that Leeds had a couple of injuries as in any game it seems odd to me to go from that sort of performance to that at Huddersfield.

If I was a Hull fan I'd be remembering the Leeds trouncing as the real Hull.

I'm totally confused as to what the real Hull is. Jekyll and Hyde springs to mind.

I think Miller has done very well under the circumstances.

He'll be even better with a good preseason, markmiwerdz.

I like Miller too. He's not the problem in the halves.