Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bedlam breakout

SO.... picking england players on form

149 posts in this topic

Didn't he make it clear that he wanted to be first choice selection for England and when the coach said no,he chose Scotland.

What's he supposed to do? If Mcnamara says he's not going to pick him for England is he supposed to just sit back and wait and see if he changes his mind?

I was a good runner back in the 80's but was never going to be good enough to go to the Olympics because I was up against Steve Ovett, Seb Coe, Steve Cram and Peter Elliot. But my Grandfather was Italian, and if somebody had said to me back then that I could go to the Olympics to run for Italy I would have bitten their hand off. All sports people want to compete at the top level of their chosen Sport. You can't blame Danny Brough for choosing to play for Scotland in the World Cup when he had been rejected by the England coach.

What's he supposed to do? If Mcnamara says he's not going to pick him for England is he supposed to just sit back and wait and see if he changes his mind?

I was a good runner back in the 80's but was never going to be good enough to go to the Olympics because I was up against Steve Ovett, Seb Coe, Steve Cram and Peter Elliot. But my Grandfather was Italian, and if somebody had said to me back then that I could go to the Olympics to run for Italy I would have bitten their hand off. All sports people want to compete at the top level of their chosen Sport. You can't blame Danny Brough for choosing to play for Scotland in the World Cup when he had been rejected by the England coach.

The demanding to be first pick is the type of attitude that isn't needed. I don't think Mcnamara said he wouldn't select him, ,just that he had to earn his place like everyone else.If Brough wants to stomp off and have a tantrum,does he really want to play for England,or just play in the world cup?

Anyway,he's made his choice (again).

Hardaker deserves to be in the squad at least although he is no where near the class of Tomkins. JJB should be no where near the squad, he works hard but never seems to make any yards.

Is this thread about who should be in the England squad or just the Leeds players who should be in the England squad?

Didn't he make it clear that he wanted to be first choice selection for England and when the coach said no,he chose Scotland.

I think it's more a case of Brough wanting to be first choice if his form deserved him that status and Macnamara publicly set about humiliating him by such things as not naming him in a 40 train on squad. This was the same Brough that had humiliated Sinfield, McGuire et al and was tearing up SL. The same Brough who's won the Albert Goldthorpe medal, is a front runner for Man of Steel, has steered Huddersfield to the LLS, is 80 minutes from a Grand Fial and has just re written the history books by scoring more goals in a game and more points in a season than any other past Huddersfield player.

All this yet McNamara in his wisdom thought Brough wasn't worthy of a place in the top 40 Engand eligible players in SuperLeague.

The blokes delusional

I was a good runner back in the 80's but was never going to be good enough to go to the Olympics because I was up against Steve Ovett, Seb Coe, Steve Cram and Peter Elliot. But my Grandfather was Italian, and if somebody had said to me back then that I could go to the Olympics to run for Italy I would have bitten their hand off. All sports people want to compete at the top level of their chosen Sport. You can't blame Danny Brough for choosing to play for Scotland in the World Cup when he had been rejected by the England coach.

Spot on fella. The incident sums up the coach's mentality and inability to manage a player. It is petty & embarrassing.

Wrong coach at the wrong time.....

I think it's more a case of Brough wanting to be first choice if his form deserved him that status and Macnamara publicly set about humiliating him by such things as not naming him in a 40 train on squad. This was the same Brough that had humiliated Sinfield, McGuire et al and was tearing up SL. The same Brough who's won the Albert Goldthorpe medal, is a front runner for Man of Steel, has steered Huddersfield to the LLS, is 80 minutes from a Grand Fial and has just re written the history books by scoring more goals in a game and more points in a season than any other past Huddersfield player.

All this yet McNamara in his wisdom thought Brough wasn't worthy of a place in the top 40 Engand eligible players in SuperLeague.

The blokes delusional

His of depth out.

What was the question if this is the answer? Harrison, Powell, Kear, McDermott, Agar, Anderson or Cummings

He's rubbish.

Not just me then.

Is this the new forum accusation of disagreement. "I don't concur so you must be inebriated".

Is this the new forum accusation of disagreement. "I don't concur so you must be inebriated".

That's a gem of a post that made me chuckle.

"You Sir, being so indifferent to my theory and unable to comprehend that mine is the only standpoint available to all, must be suffering from the effects of cheap mead and the smile of a buxom serving wench. Go sleep it off and return to my gate in the morning when we can discuss the error of your ways..."

That's a gem of a post that made me chuckle.

"You Sir, being so indifferent to my theory and unable to comprehend that mine is the only standpoint available to all, must be suffering from the effects of cheap mead and the smile of a buxom serving wench. Go sleep it off and return to my gate in the morning when we can discuss the error of your ways..."

I could always counter with "and you Sir are ugly but I will be sober in the morning". Thanks Winnie. ;)

Brough is a non starter so people should stop wasting time and effort, more importantly is Ellis's lack of form and

if Mac goes for unfit players we could waste a golden opportunity. Fit and in form should be the criteria not past reputation.

Brough is a non starter so people should stop wasting time and effort, more importantly is Ellis's lack of form and

if Mac goes for unfit players we could waste a golden opportunity. Fit and in form should be the criteria not past reputation.

What's your view on Peacock then?

Peacock still has a big engine and the physical presence to take on the Kangaroos,linked to Graham and the Burgess Brothers. At least this time he will not have to carry the burden on his own.

I consider him a great personality and a great servant of the game. He should be Sir Jamie.

On form Peacock would be a must BUT after watching the way Wire pack stopped him from rampaging forward to expect him to have a top world cup against the best may be a bit too much too ask. There are plenty of front row options from form props both here and in aus (4 Burgess to pick from,Graham,Crabtree,Hill,Mossop) So as good as JP has been it would be another error from Mac to pick him.

I'd pick Jamie peacock over the likes of Chris hill, lee mossop, Luke burgess and Tom burgess everyday of the week but he's part of the BBC's world cup team, isn't he?

Is this thread about who should be in the England squad or just the Leeds players who should be in the England squad?

its about players who are hitting form in the period leading up to squad selection

In form over what period, the season or last few games....  as we know players don't hit top performance every game.  Also whilst considering form and injury should we not also consider which players complement each other best too.. Even if the one not chosen has shown a little more form but doesn't complement as much... given the restricted period and hence limited time to ensure cohesion.

The blokes delusional

well said!

The blokes delusional

You're delusional, when was the 40 man training squad announced?

well said!

It's not well said, it's a load of tosh, all the things that Broughys best mate mentioned hadn't happened when the 40 man squad was announced and also happened after Brough had spat his dummy out.