Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bedlam breakout

SO.... picking england players on form

149 posts in this topic

Tomkins has captained Wigan a few times and always done a fine job. Burgess has also had a leadership role at Souths. I think Graham was captain at Saints the year before he left for Aus as well. All great leaders on the field and each would do a fine job.

I'm sure they'd go OK but not as good as Sinfield in that role IMHO of course.

Don't know why they bother with all that, surely they should just ask people on here, I mean they know best don't they ;-)

By the way that stat for Peacock shows what a machine he is!

Name me a player that has done that against the Southern Hemisphere sides.Same old arguments,round and round in circles.

Thats a fair comment and I respect what you are implying, however if you like: Sculthorpe, Farrel (A), Peacock, I will leave it there if you please.

Now to boringly make the same old, same old argument again, how many players over a ten year span? Have been given repeated opportunities to prove themselves following what can best be described mainly, as a very large proportion of their rep games amounting to being categorically described as inept?

Sinfield has been awarded that priviledge and on, IMHO, far too many occasions to date.

Agreeably he has the ability to organise and, I would also concede, better than most we can call upon presently.

But, his methods so successful in S/L, coupled with his lack of pace is his achilles heel when facing the top echelon of R/L players, consequently and without rancour he quite simply rarely delivers against such company.

I (although I deplore the realisation) am certain that KS will lead England and no matter the quality of his performances or barring injury, will continue doing so throughout the W/Cup comp too, and that I absolutely disagree with.

PS: I hope that my criticism turns out to be misplaced and KS goes on to give the performances of his career and lifts the World Cup aloft in an England shirt, should that occur I will be cheering himon and will eat all the humble pie available, and gladly ;) .

Very interesting insight into how England backroom team monitor their players and the opposition to know who is in form can be found here.

http://iota.ecommzone.com/lz/RFL/0085F6/06a85db8a97fec8b9477314d8d50294ca9/story1.htm

George Burgess has broken 74 tackles this year, which is the most in both the NRL and SL competitions. Sam Tomkins has used deception and footwork to cause 58 missed tackles this year, the second best in both competitions.

“The 43 line breaks made by Josh Charnley are the best in both competitions. The 3,763 metres picked up by Jamie Peacock is the best in both competitions. Behind him in second place with 3,631 is Ryan Hall, third is Charnley with 3,266, and fourth is Billy Slater with 3,258.”

I heard Jamie Peacock has signed up to be a part of BBC's Rugby League World Cup team - surely he would be an asset to the England squad for leadership and/or player reasons. I don't understand why he would not want one last swan song? http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/23992833

Scunthorpe, Farrell and Peacock still never won anything for GB or England.

The problem with all this is all I can see is supporters trying to set up a scapegoat before a ball is kicked I've said all along its a win win for the people constantly sniping at McNamara and Sinfield, if they succeed well great They'll be happy we will have won, if they bomb whatever the reason they'll be happy, they can say I told you so.

Thats a fair comment and I respect what you are implying, however if you like: Sculthorpe, Farrel (A), Peacock, I will leave it there if you please.

Now to boringly make the same old, same old argument again, how many players over a ten year span? Have been given repeated opportunities to prove themselves following what can best be described mainly, as a very large proportion of their rep games amounting to being categorically described as inept?

Sinfield has been awarded that priviledge and on, IMHO, far too many occasions to date.

Agreeably he has the ability to organise and, I would also concede, better than most we can call upon presently.

But, his methods so successful in S/L, coupled with his lack of pace is his achilles heel when facing the top echelon of R/L players, consequently and without rancour he quite simply rarely delivers against such company.

I (although I deplore the realisation) am certain that KS will lead England and no matter the quality of his performances or barring injury, will continue doing so throughout the W/Cup comp too, and that I absolutely disagree with.

PS: I hope that my criticism turns out to be misplaced and KS goes on to give the performances of his career and lifts the World Cup aloft in an England shirt, should that occur I will be cheering himon and will eat all the humble pie available, and gladly ;) .

Also just to pick up in your last paragraph, are you saying the only way Sinfield will look good in your eyes is if they win the whole comp? If not he's failed? Are you applying that to the rest of the players or just the ones you dislike?

Scunthorpe, Farrell and Peacock still never won anything for GB or England.

Peacock won the 2007 test series against the Kiwis.

Also just to pick up in your last paragraph, are you saying the only way Sinfield will look good in your eyes is if they win the whole comp? If not he's failed? Are you applying that to the rest of the players or just the ones you dislike?

Definitely NOT!

That is demeaning and I hope you are intelligent enough to be making a nuisance of yourself, rather than meaningfully being obnoxious.

What I stated is what I mean. That being that should KS lift that trophy my cheers for him and his team will equally be as loud as anyone's.

I also implied that I hoped he gives the performances of his life and makes me (with others too) in that case look silly.

Should that occur I will take all the flak as it comes and deservedly so.

If he does not do those things yet still holds the cup aloft I will also stand and accept that as part of the team he must have contributed something worthwhile.

That also goes for the other character involved as well, the coach.

I am and presently remain critical of both, but if there is a successful outcome to the proceedings then I will be among the first to admit I was wrong.

I do hope that clears the matter for you ?

With Sinfield in the side ;-)

Sinfield only played 1 match I believe. The 2nd match, then he was dropped again.

Sinfield only played 1 match I believe. The 2nd match, then he was dropped again.

Sinfield was ill for the first game where they scraped home with a 20-14 win, he then played the second when they nilled the kiwis in an emphatic 44-0 win, he then didn't play in the 3rd where they could only manage a 28-14 win, shows what a difference he made ;-)

Just like the world cup in 2008 when he played all the matches and they only won 1.

Just like the world cup in 2008 when he played all the matches and they only won 1.

I know but you can't blame Peacock, I mean you wouldn't be daft enough to blame the whole England's team failure on one player would you?

Peacock? I thought we were talking about Sinfield.

Peacock? I thought we were talking about Sinfield.

Oh sorry I thought we were talking about England captains and their success rates? Oh but of course you're right the failure of the England team in the WC and the fact that the whole team played like a sack of spuds is solely down to Sinfields inclusion in the team ;-)

Oh sorry I thought we were talking about England captains and their success rates? Oh but of course you're right the failure of the England team in the WC and the fact that the whole team played like a sack of spuds is solely down to Sinfields inclusion in the team ;-)

Exactly, I think you are starting to get it!! :tongue:

For the record, I don't mind Sinfield, I think he is a very good clubman, but not international class. My opinion only though.

Very interesting insight into how England backroom team monitor their players and the opposition to know who is in form can be found here.

http://iota.ecommzone.com/lz/RFL/0085F6/06a85db8a97fec8b9477314d8d50294ca9/story1.htm

Nice to see they are using such in depth analysis, but I suppose we'll never know how much McNamara makes of it in selecting his teams. I can't imagine that the 13 players selected are always the stat toppers in that position.

I know but you can't blame Peacock, I mean you wouldn't be daft enough to blame the whole England's team failure on one player would you?

No we'd be clever enough to make an assessment of each player based on the evidence in front of our eyes.

No we'd be clever enough to make an assessment of each player based on the evidence in front of our eyes.

Clever and assessment aren't two words I'd apportion to you Omega ;-)

How many times Versus S/Hemi sides, especially OZ?

I do agree that KS is a very excellent player in Super League and vying for the title of probably, 'as good a clubman that has ever been in the RFL'. Yet and this can also be relayed to many other former players, who also gave many seasons of outstanding service to their clubs, sometimes more than one club also, Mickey Higham would easily come to mind and gain praise for the latter.

But the gripe that many have is the insistance that KS is as good at rep standard when the evidence is plain to see and absolutely contradicts that assertion. Sinfield has played in numerous games at this level and yet I can only recall three games myself that I thought he fully justified his selection, after the final whistle.

That he has repeatedly gained selection despite so many mediocre performances is probably the reason that ever so many R/L fans do argue that he is not anywhere near to being the player he is domestically, when up against the best that the S/Hemi can put against him.

PS; those games V the Kiwi's are not really very good ones to use when crediting MOM to someone when considering the shenannigans going on in the Kiwi squads then, I would lay odds and confidently, that this WC squad will pose a very different proposition from those sides back then.

Petero has only gone. & completely nailed it with that there post.