Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sir HaRoLd FaCey

Chokers

246 posts in this topic

Dydo's right Colin. It wouldn't work for the play-offs.  It's a tight schedule as it is - even before you factor in tv games.

Dydo's right Colin. It wouldn't work for the play-offs.  It's a tight schedule as it is - even before you factor in tv games.

Sorry, a bit at cross purposes. I was talking about the play off finals . Didn't make myself clear. The crowds are poorish . How about making this final a curtain raiser to the SL play off final?

Sorry, a bit at cross purposes. I was talking about the play off finals . Didn't make myself clear. The crowds are poorish . How about making this final a curtain raiser to the SL play off final?

Our biggest final as a curtain raiser , it's not under bloooowdy nines !

Didn't we is to play at old Trafford before the main game

Didn't we is to play at old Trafford before the main game

We used to have the double header at Old Trafford in the olden days!!!

And now they can fill it with just the one game.  That's the difference.

43000 there when we played there in 1989, 34000 in 1992.  2013 attendance will probably be more than those two added together.

We used to have the double header at Old Trafford in the olden days!!!

In those days it was just the play-off final, winning the league was the main prize! And If we doubled up with Super League,what would happen to the Championship 1 final, and the amateurs?

Moving the Championship Grand Final to Yorkshire would probably attract bigger crowds, as the favourites to get there would have less travelling, and there would be more neutral fans from Championship clubs on the doorstep.  

Have to agree it needs moving to Headingley. Pubs around the ground easy access to ground and I believe more would turn up.

Forget the Old Trafford pipe dream. It'd be fantastic to see our sides run out there in front of a huge crowd and with massive exposure, but the SL bosses don't want us there. Rugby League outside of SL isn't even mentioned on SKY these days - whatsoever. I realise that the Premier Sports deal marginalised us to an extent, but the fact that SKY made little effort to renew their deal to broadcast Championship games - despite the very decent ratings it attracted, should tell us all we need to know. I'm not even sure they would be able to show a Championship GF curtain raiser at Old Trafford, given the Premier Sports deal.

Its a shame the Beeb don't pick it up or Channel 4. I don't think we recieve money from Premier sport so what would C4 or the BBC lose in showing a Championship (incl Ch 1) game?

Quite a bit of press about Sheffield winning the Championship twice in a row - a record they said. Not a word about OUR RECORD of FOUR wins in a row.

Quite a bit of press about Sheffield winning the Championship twice in a row - a record they said. Not a word about OUR RECORD of FOUR wins in a row.

Thats because it isnt a record - wigan won the league 7 in a row in the early to mid 90's

Forget the Old Trafford pipe dream. It'd be fantastic to see our sides run out there in front of a huge crowd and with massive exposure, but the SL bosses don't want us there. Rugby League outside of SL isn't even mentioned on SKY these days - whatsoever. I realise that the Premier Sports deal marginalised us to an extent, but the fact that SKY made little effort to renew their deal to broadcast Championship games - despite the very decent ratings it attracted, should tell us all we need to know. I'm not even sure they would be able to show a Championship GF curtain raiser at Old Trafford, given the Premier Sports deal.

The important issue is what will happen with TV coverage when Super League splits? If Sky. the tabloids, and the BBC, only give media coverage to SL1, then SL2 will quickly fall apart, and so will the game in general! 

Thats because it isnt a record - wigan won the league 7 in a row in the early to mid 90's

Talking of the Championship.

Isnt that what wigan won? Pretty sure they won the championship

Aye.... wigan are the champions. Just got off the blower to my mate... an ardent fartowner and has been since they were sheeeite!

He is absolutely resolute that Huddersfield need to win the gf if they are to be called champs. All the giants fans he knows are apparently of the same mind set.. e.g. wigan are chamos

He is absolutely resolute that Huddersfield need to win the gf if they are to be called champs. All the giants fans he knows are apparently of the same mind set.. e.g. wigan are chamos

Not necessarily disagreeing with you Robin - we know the rules at the start of each season and the argument has certainly been done to death by our fans - but I wonder how many of those Giants fans would change their tune if they win the Shield but not the GF for the next 3 years as well as this year....

Dunno..... and yes you are correct... its been done to death.

I know a few giants fans having worked at st. Lukes Huddersfield for ten yrs. They seem to have embraced the play off concept much more readily than rovers fans have. All those I know regard wigan as the daddy's!

Time to move on. I can't wait for boxing day. Only 81 days to go.

Mind, the other difference is it's probably easier to embrace the idea of a final at Old Trafford in front of 60,000+ fans & in front of the Sky cameras than the glamour of a 3rd visit of the season to Leigh Sports Village.

But as you say...onwards and upwards. We again had a lot more happy days than grim ones last season, even with all the upheaval. Squad looks strong, one or two exciting newcomers brought in, shiny new stand getting closer to completion and other positive off-the-field developments. Sport is all about hope, isn't it, and there's no shortage of that at the Bigfellas these days.

Although I'll never agree that the champions are not the league winners, It makes a little more sense in SL for the GF winners to be champs, due to the "magic" weekend which means that the playing field isn't quite level, i.e. Huddersfield played Bradford 3 times, but Wigan played Leeds 3 times in the league; I know which one of those I'd rather face 3 times in one season.

In our division though, we play everyone twice so it's same for all so the league system is a fair judge of the best team over the season.