Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

walter sobchak

Turning the grand final into the Super Bowl.

50 posts in this topic

Would it be a good idea taking the grand final on the road every year by having host cities bid for this showpiece, Just like in the US with the super bowl? You could have the grand final played in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool, Cardiff, London and maybe at potential new stadiums in Sheffield and Birmingham. It could create good publicity for our game by having host cities bid for the final and taking our showpiece event to new areas of the country.

Would it be a good idea taking the grand final on the road every year by having host cities bid for this showpiece, Just like in the US with the super bowl? You could have the grand final played in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool, Cardiff, London and maybe at potential new stadiums in Sheffield and Birmingham. It could create good publicity for our game by having host cities bid for the final and taking our showpiece event to new areas of the country.

Just like the magic weekend?

Or you could continue to play it at one of the most famous stadiums in the world and build up some tradition, prestige and anticipation.

Old Trafford is fine at this time of year ,handy for our fans and Man utd seem to have a good relationship with RL.

Just like the magic weekend?

But with more fans.

The difference is that the Super Bowl has loads of potential host cities that have huge populations and huge stadiums all with a huge interest in the game.

We have Manchester. That's about it. Only Cardiff, Wembley and Twickenham could hold a crowd the size of a Grand Final.

It also works well being at old Trafford because the two finalists are only known the week before.

if it ain't broke etc etc ;)

Fair point but other than your diehard RL fans nobody really knows this game is taking place, maybe a different host city every year would just create a little outside interest with non rugby league fans and the media.

The difference is that the Super Bowl has loads of potential host cities that have huge populations and huge stadiums all with a huge interest in the game.

We have Manchester. That's about it. Only Cardiff, Wembley and Twickenham could hold a crowd the size of a Grand Final.

Celtic park, Hampden, murrayfield, arsenal's ground and the Liverpool FC potential stadium or a revamped villa park.

But with more fans.

Hold your horses,because a lot of people will be holding their breath if Huddersfield get to Old Trafford this year

Hold your horses,because a lot of people will be holding their breath if Huddersfield get to Old Trafford this year

If they did I can see maybe 5,000 hardcore giants fans going and maybe another 5,000 bandwagon(Huddersfield town fans) fans. The grand final is just like the challenge cup final with the majority of the crowd being made up of neutrals.

If they did I can see maybe 5,000 hardcore giants fans going and maybe another 5,000 bandwagon(Huddersfield town fans) fans. The grand final is just like the challenge cup final with the majority of the crowd being made up of neutrals.

No it isn't. Have you been to GFs? If you go on the ticket site half the stadium isn't even on sale yet until the finalists are confirmed.

Celtic park, Hampden, murrayfield, arsenal's ground and the Liverpool FC potential stadium or a revamped villa park.

none of them hold 70k

No it isn't. Have you been to GFs? If you go on the ticket site half the stadium isn't even on sale yet until the finalists are confirmed.

I thought the RFL/ SL usually hold back ten thousand tickets for each finalist?

No problem with the venue, however I'd love to see the build up and media coverage to match that of the Superbowl. Any ideas on how we do that and the financials of TGG would be hugely improved.

No problem with the venue, however I'd love to see the build up and media coverage to match that of the Superbowl. Any ideas on how we do that and the financials of TGG would be hugely improved.

Super league grand final halftime show, complete with adverts for the tv.

I've never seen a Superbowl but I know the adverts are a big tradition each year. It would be great to have a similar situation for Rugby League, something like this idea of exclusive adverts to attract new supporters. I'm simply not sure if the sport and occasion would fit the bill for potential companies looking to advertise.

I've never seen a Superbowl but I know the adverts are a big tradition each year. It would be great to have a similar situation for Rugby League, something like this idea of exclusive adverts to attract new supporters. I'm simply not sure if the sport and occasion would fit the bill for potential companies looking to advertise.

Real world calling.

Fat chance.

super bowl half time = 30 minutes.

rugby league half time = 10 minutes

chance of advertisers falling over themselves + janet jacksons boob making an appearance = slim

I said you buy one, you get one free, I said you buy one, you get one free... Go Compare, Go Compare... Should have gone to Specsavers... Do you need a high cost short term loan...

Now please give a warm round of applause for our half time act, 'Dappy'!

The money's just not there... Yet! 

Old Trafford is an amazing stadium that seems to hit the sweet spot in terms of capacity for the GF, and it's in the perfect location for Super League sides. Quite fortunate really!

Real world calling.

Fat chance.

Never said this would happen at the grand final but that's what is needed to make it the huge spectacle and media hyped event like the super bowl. Unfortunately as good as the action and product on the field is it isn't attracting the media hype it deserves and we(RL) need to figure out how to attract all the show biz and celebrity aspect to the event like a super bowl or a big boxing fight.

I said you buy one, you get one free, I said you buy one, you get one free... Go Compare, Go Compare... Should have gone to Specsavers... Do you need a high cost short term loan...

Now please give a warm round of applause for our half time act, 'Dappy'!

The money's just not there... Yet!

Old Trafford is an amazing stadium that seems to hit the sweet spot in terms of capacity for the GF, and it's in the perfect location for Super League sides. Quite fortunate really!

due to good viewing figures, the ads during RL are generally high end companies.

Who is revamping Villa Park?

Town took 35,000 to a Play Off final at Old Trafford (where I would like to add that the team were outplayed and the fans outshouted by the mighty Posh). That was three times their average gate - surely some of those will make the 45 minute trip to Manchester?