Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

29/09/13 - Championship Grand Final: Sheffield Eagles v Batley Bulldogs KO 4.30pm (Premier Sports)

Who will win?   28 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Sheffield Eagles by 13 points or more
    • Sheffield Eagles by 7 to 12 points
    • Sheffield Eagles by 1 to 6 points
    • Batley Bulldogs by 1 to 6 points
    • Batley Bulldogs by 7 to 12 points
    • Batley Bulldogs by 13 points or more

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

59 posts in this topic

12 - 12 68 mins nail biter

the momentum is with Eagles but Batley have it in them if they can get possession

and Eagles go in again QLT try

It could be game over if Batley don't find their mojo again - their fans are very loud, they need to be their 18th man now and get their lads back in this

Game over with Eagles giving Batley some of their own medicine with a DG - talk about a game of two halves

Lets remember whoever threw a bottle is one idiot and not a whole fanbase

Game over with Eagles giving Batley some of their own medicine with a DG - talk about a game of two halves

Lets remember whoever threw a bottle is one idiot and not a whole fanbase

Batley fans aren't like that - must be a "cup final hanger-on".

Who lets glass bottles inside the stadium in the first place? When I went to the milennium stadium I wasn't allowed to take a bluddy can of coke! I hope they find the culprits and ban them, disgrace.

Other than that it was quite an enjoyable game.

Batley fans aren't like that - must be a "cup final hanger-on".

No club's hardcore week in week out following are 'like that', doesn't stop opposition fans from point scoring over every incident though!

Well, I'm emotionally drained after that! Batley were superb for the first 55/60 minutes - dominated us down the middle, slowed down our play the balls, kicked well… basically, they did everything right. Once Brambani and Walker found their weakness down the right side they kicked there mercilessly and the game swung in our favour. Once we got that first try we looked unstoppable. Batley's discipline went, and their ability to keep hold of the ball vanished as well.

Fantastic to be Champions again and win back-to-back grand finals. Amazing scenes! That's why we're Champions  :biggrin:

The finals day produced some really good games.  Well done Sheffield.  They dug themselves out of a hole and showed their champion credentials by doing so.  Batley were great for most of the game but at the end of the day it's who goes for 80 minutes and the Eagles did that, in spite of their kicker having left his kicking boots on the other side of the Pennines!

Who lets glass bottles inside the stadium in the first place? When I went to the milennium stadium I wasn't allowed to take a bluddy can of coke! I hope they find the culprits and ban them, disgrace.

Other than that it was quite an enjoyable game.

They were plastic bottles.

Batley as a town must be rolling in money if they can afford to waste ale at LSV prices!

We were stood in the North Stand with the Batley fans in a bit of a Leyth colony at the front and it was a cracking atmosphere, bottle throwing numpties apart. Batley were superb the first half but it was a big ask to maintain such intensity and they didn't really convert their possession and territory in to tries when they had the chance. Fair play to Sheffield, they've had a marathon of a season.

They were plastic bottles.

Batley as a town must be rolling in money if they can afford to waste ale at LSV prices!

We were stood in the North Stand with the Batley fans in a bit of a Leyth colony at the front and it was a cracking atmosphere, bottle throwing numpties apart. Batley were superb the first half but it was a big ask to maintain such intensity and they didn't really convert their possession and territory in to tries when they had the chance. Fair play to Sheffield, they've had a marathon of a season.

Fair enough, I stand corrected. Still, if it was full it could still cause quite a bit of damage.

Fair enough, I stand corrected. Still, if it was full it could still cause quite a bit of damage.

Very much so, but there's only so much you can do to legislate against the odd few idiots.

Careful.... I know you can take the the boy out of Cas but you..... and all that!!

I just think their enthusiasm is great and it affects people around them in a positive way

The last three finals have been between Cas lads.

on the pitch i was gutted for the dogs, they were brilliant but ran out of steam on 60 minutes, didn't see the bottle throwing as i was in the west stand, but there were a few leeds united fans flags in the north stand...

Fair play to Batley, they kept us from using what little ball we got in the first half, once Dom and the gang worked out what to do we just needed a bit of luck and it all came together.

It's been a rollercoaster of a season, but we got the big one again.

Now then, where did I leave that spare ground?

what it did prove was that a return to promotion and relegation will sound the death knell for some clubs who under no circumstances would be able to survive and compete in the top flight. no offence to sheffield but they would get promoted with crowds of a few hundred and most probably get mullered every week. what good would that do for the club??

what it did prove was that a return to promotion and relegation will sound the death knell for some clubs who under no circumstances would be able to survive and compete in the top flight. no offence to sheffield but they would get promoted with crowds of a few hundred and most probably get mullered every week. what good would that do for the club??

Well they managed to win the CC last time they were in "big league" so that wasn't so bad was it?

They might even match up to massive clubs like Widnes.

Well they managed to win the CC last time they were in "big league" so that wasn't so bad was it?

Yeah - when we had a bloke sinking a million a year in, johnny.

Got a spare one of those you could lend us ?

Congratulation to Sheffield on winning the Grand Final and hats off to Batley who were superb for 55/ 60 minutes.  The Batley fans created a superb atmosphere (with the exception of the bottle thrower) and stood and cheered their team right to the end.  A great game to end a really enjoyable day.

so you think eagles would do well in super league? and i know all about the 1998 cup win because i was at wembley to watch it.....a john kear master class in coaching by lobbing the high ball at jason robinson who was up against the six foot plus nick pinkney......

Their crowds are poor partially because there is no promotion

Nothing will be proven until there is a chance for it to happen.

Eagles crowds are the biggest frustration as a Sheffield fan. As strange as it seems, moving to a small, compact stadium like Owlerton (when it's been tarted up to the necessary standards) could actually help Sheffield's crowds. Think about it: better atmosphere, good off-field facilities if you're after food and drink (apparently a better standard than you'd expect for he money), and a capacity of around 3,000 (with the seats put in, and terracing elsewhere). Plus, Owlerton is in Hillsborough, an area that's one of the more densely populated in Sheffield (Hillsborough and the areas closest to it have a population of about 60,000 apparently). The Eagles now have an area to heavily target their marketing into. Sunday afternoon kick-offs, perhaps, with Owlerton's restaurants offering lunch beforehand for a reasonable price. Even if you're only a casual sports fan you could be persuaded to give it a go.

Of course, Owlerton isn't a long-term solution if the club have higher aspirations at some point (we're a long way off that, I'll hasten to add), but it could be an ideal place to build some interest over the next year or two.

Or, it might be like it was first time round, with small crowds and struggle. But at least it's worth trying, and I'll always live in hope more Sheffielders will wake up to the fact that they have a top club right on their doorstep. I won't hold my breath, though.