Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thehullram

England Squad Announcement

377 posts in this topic

So England will name their squad next week. Here is the 24 I would name:-

1. Tomkins
  2. Hall
  3. Cudjoe
  4. Watkins
  5. Charnley
  6. Widdop
  7. Sinfield
  8. C Hill
  9. Roby
  10. Mossop
  11. Westwood
  12. Hock
  13. O' Loughlin
  14. G Burgess
  15. S Burgess
  16. Crabtree
  17. Chase
  18. Ferres
  19. Houghton
  20. Graham
  21. Ablett
  22. Ratchford
  23. Smith
  24. Kirmond (if eligible)

Sinfield and Ablett must never,ever be in any England squad..

So say the armchair coaches on this forum

I think that won't be far off.

Smith would do a job (esp if it rains).

I'm now of the opinion that Crabtree should not be in the squad. All he really brings to the table is size - he has no explosion and rarely tests the opposition line. I think both Hill and Mossop offer much more.

I think both Hill and Mossop offer much more.

I thought Mossop was immense last night; a must in the squad. So if we are taking six props into the competition, I'd have:

1. G Burgess

2. Graham

3. Crabtree

4. Hill

5. Mossop

6. L or T Burgess

Big S Burgess would be playing in the back three for mine...

Mushy's England 2013 WC

Tomkins

Charnley

Watkins

Cudjoe

Hall

Chase

Smith

Peacock

Sinfield

Graham

S Burgess

Westwood

O'Loughlin

Burrow

G Burgess

Hock

Crabtree

Taylor

Ablett

Kirmond

Roby

Widdop

Ratchford

Hardaker

Not a bad team or squad with most of the team being in great form (but some looking a little dodgy or crocked). You could swap a few of these with little difference I reckon.

Tomkins

Charnley

Cudjoe

Watkins

Hall

Chase

Sinfield

Mossop

Mclorum

Graham

Westwood

Burgess

Oloughlin

Subs

Roby

G burgess

Hill

Hock

Personally wasn't much of a fan of mclorum but believe he's devolving into a very good hooker does alot of the little things very well espcially in defence and is aggressive which we certainly need to be think were a little soft if I'm honest need a bit of grunt which looking at the team I've picked there's a bit in there.

1. Tomkins

2. Charnley

3. Watkins

4. Ratchford

5. Hall

6. Sinfield

7. Widdop

8. Graham

9. Roby

10. Hill

11. S Burgess

12. Westwood

13. O'Loughlin

14. Chase

15. Crabtree

16. G Burgess

17. Hock

Here are my thoughts on my definites:

1s Sam Hardacre

Ws Hall Josh Briscoe

Cs Watkins

1/2s Sinfield Chase Smith Widdop

Ps Graham G Burgess Mossop Hill

9s Roby

2s Westwood S Burgess Hock

13s Lockers

Leaving 5 not so sures:

Ratchford

Cudjoe

Crabtree

Ablett

McIllorum (agree with Binman)

Wouldn't be up in arms at Houghton, Lineham, Faz, Goulding, Myler (lol), other Burgesses or Ferres getting a call. We need a 17 who can defend for 80 and score 16 or more points. With a back 3 of Josh, Hall and Sam, we just need 14 good defenders. Having been rubbish, Smith's defence is no so much better, I've persuaded myself that he would be good bet ahead of Chase in wet weather.

I'm now of the opinion that Crabtree should not be in the squad. All he really brings to the table is size - he has no explosion and rarely tests the opposition line. I think both Hill and Mossop offer much more.

Disagree. Crabtree has always put in a decent performance against the Aussies and has certainly not let anyone down.

Here are my thoughts on my definites:

1s Sam Hardacre

Ws Hall Josh Briscoe

Cs Watkins

1/2s Sinfield Chase Smith Widdop

Ps Graham G Burgess Mossop Hill

9s Roby

2s Westwood S Burgess Hock

13s Lockers

Leaving 5 not so sures:

Ratchford

Cudjoe

Crabtree

Ablett

McIllorum (agree with Binman)

Wouldn't be up in arms at Houghton, Lineham, Faz, Goulding, Myler (lol), other Burgesses or Ferres getting a call. We need a 17 who can defend for 80 and score 16 or more points. With a back 3 of Josh, Hall and Sam, we just need 14 good defenders. Having been rubbish, Smith's defence is no so much better, I've persuaded myself that he would be good bet ahead of Chase in wet weather.

Who on earth are Sam Hardacre and Josh Briscoe?

I think both hill and mossop do seem to give bit more go forward and seem to get quicker ptb then Crabtree but like the previous post he's actually done well against the Aussies and its great to have depth and genuine options, I suppose it depends on how many props were going with and wer the likes of burgess will come under.

Then there's the likes of Tom and Luke burgess, Taylor, Crosby ect were certainly not short of options

My 24 for what it's worth would be:

1. Sam Tomkins

2. josh charnley

3. Kallum Watkins

4. Leroy cudjoe

5. Ryan hall

6. Gareth widdop

7. rangi chase

8. James graham

9. James Roby

10. Lee mossop

11. Sam burgess

12. Ben Westwood

13. Sean o'loughlin

14. Rob burrow

15. George burgess

16. Gareth hock

17. Errol Crabtree

18. Zak hardaker

19. Tom briscoe

20. Stefan ratchford

21. Matty smith

22. Chris hill

23. Danny Houghton

24. Kevin sinfield

My 24 for what it's worth would be:

1. Sam Tomkins

2. josh charnley

3. Kallum Watkins

4. Leroy cudjoe

5. Ryan hall

6. Gareth widdop

7. rangi chase

8. James graham

9. James Roby

10. Lee mossop

11. Sam burgess

12. Ben Westwood

13. Sean o'loughlin

14. Rob burrow

15. George burgess

16. Gareth hock

17. Errol Crabtree

18. Zak hardaker

19. Tom briscoe

20. Stefan ratchford

21. Matty smith

22. Chris hill

23. Danny Houghton

24. Kevin sinfield

That is likely the 1-17 I would like to see, although I think Sinfield will come in at the expense of Burrow with either Widdop or Roby dropping to the bench. Crabtree, Hock and G Burgess would be my bench too. The rest of the squad looks a little light forwards wise especially back rowers. Assuming Burrow drops into the 18-24 squad numbers I would go

18. Rob Burrow

19. Zak Hardaker

20. Stefan Ratchford

21. Chris Hill

22. Carl Ablett

23. Luke Burgess

24. Brett Ferres, although this could be JJB or Jon Wilkin.

Still not convinced by our centres...it's our weakest area

Got to agree not something I was worried about but looking at it now its not certainly not as confident as I was espcially if we were to get any more injuries

Great positive thread and debate on here this far. Must be a sign that we are starting to feel ok for the World Cup.

I agree with a lot of the above, particularly Exiled's comments. NZ 2008 taught us that you start with an aggressive defence and great kick chase game, and build your attack around a few strike players. Personally I would have Smith and Sinfield in the side as the best players we've got for playing good structure and excellent kicking games. With the Sams, Josh and maybe an in-form Chase and Burrow we've also got 20 points vs Aus in us.

Great positive thread and debate on here this far. Must be a sign that we are starting to feel ok for the World Cup.

I agree with a lot of the above, particularly Exiled's comments. NZ 2008 taught us that you start with an aggressive defence and great kick chase game, and build your attack around a few strike players. Personally I would have Smith and Sinfield in the side as the best players we've got for playing good structure and excellent kicking games. With the Sams, Josh and maybe an in-form Chase and Burrow we've also got 20 points vs Aus in us.

That's the key for me against the Aussies and kiwis we've got to be able to play at a high speed tempo and to be aggressive this is an area wer I feel we've struggled, think Matty smith may hav forced himself into the squad possible a good performance on Saturday will only help I suppose but personally I'd go with sinfield and chase, I admit Individually may not be the best but as a partnership along with Tomkins at the back we seemed to hav developed a decent combination here and a bit of consistency.

That's the key for me against the Aussies and kiwis we've got to be able to play at a high speed tempo and to be aggressive this is an area wer I feel we've struggled, think Matty smith may hav forced himself into the squad possible a good performance on Saturday will only help I suppose but personally I'd go with sinfield and chase, I admit Individually may not be the best but as a partnership along with Tomkins at the back we seemed to hav developed a decent combination here and a bit of consistency.

Don't think Matty Smith will be anywhere near the squad. Those who have followed the ETS for the last 2 years will have noticed that McNamara has used Myler, Widdop, Chase and Sinfield as half-back options. All 4 are fit so I anticipate all four being in the final squad.

Myler in before Smith? Isn't a half back supposed to be able to kick, pass and organise in addition to being able to back up line breaks? Myler offers nothing other than the skill to finish off a few tries, if someone else makes the breaks for him.

Myler in before Smith? Isn't a half back supposed to be able to kick, pass and organise in addition to being able to back up line breaks? Myler offers nothing other than the skill to finish off a few tries, if someone else makes the breaks for him.

Didn't say I would run with this but that McNamara has consistently picked Myler, Widdop, Sinfield and Chase as half back options for the last 2 years. Smith is solid and has a decent kicking game but he is not exactly sweeping all before him to make McNamara change his course now.

My 24, for what its worth

1 - Tomkins

2 - Charnley

3 - Watkins

4 - Cudjoe (hope to god he turns up as he was useless against Warrington)

5 - Hall

6 - Sinfield

7 - Chase

8 - Graham

9 - Roby

10 - Hill

11 - Westwood

12 - Burgess

13 - O'Loughlin

14 - Crabtree

15 - G.Burgess

16 - Hock

17 - Burrow

18 - Ablett

19 - Widdop

20 - Ratchford

21 - Briscoe

22 - Mossop

23 - Farrell

24 - L.Burgess

Reserves in case of injury

Smith, Lineham, Hardaker, Houghton, Kirmond, McIllorun, Myler, T.Burgess, Walmsley

Please don't include;

Wilkin, JJB, Heighington, Morley, Tickle, Yeaman.  There are far better, more deserving players.

Clueless.

Myler despite being out injured for a decent number of games has 24 try assists this year, some from the boot, some from his hands.

He has made more clean breaks than the likes of Danny Brough who is touted as a creative genius.

Not sure whether Myler should be in as he hasn't played much recently and he was limping the other night, maybe see how he goes on Saturday.