Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gingerjon

Climate change

87 posts in this topic

When I was a kid, towards the end of the long holiday in August we'd be bored, looking for something new to do., and every year someone would come up with the bright idea, "I know let's go BlackBerrying" So along the railway embankment we'd go with our jam jars, and we'd be lucky between the three or four of us to get enough ripe berries to half fill one jar. Plenty of red ones, loads of green ones, but very few ripe black ones. By mid to late September there'd be plenty. But every year it was the same, no matter how good a summer it had been. Now? These same bushes alongside the railway were laden with ripe fruit by mid-August - by September the lot had been picked, and it was the same last year and the year before. The blackberries are ripening about a month earlier than they did 50/60 years ago. Maybe anecdotal, may not be hard evidence of climate change, but something's causing this, and I reckon I know what it is.

Everyone who comes on here will be dead in less than 100 years so why does climate change bother you

What a lovely thought.  Screw everyone else as long as you are happy.  Some people actually have kids and grandkids...

Fear not, all you who have been posting.  I've just got some new light bulbs and have already change 4 of them. I'm sure the ice-cap is starting to re-freeze even as I write this. The planet is saved!!

Fear not, all you who have been posting. I've just got some new light bulbs and have already change 4 of them. I'm sure the ice-cap is starting to re-freeze even as I write this. The planet is saved!!

Those new light bulbs are a complete con and burn out like no one's business. Longer lasting my arris.

Those new light bulbs are a complete con and burn out like no one's business. Longer lasting my arris.

very true. Bulbs are now 3 times as expensive and last half the time. 

Its all relative. Trust me, warm in Lincoln is cold anywhere else!

And that's just the people and the welcome!