Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bedlam breakout

wally lewis - how good was he?

58 posts in this topic

having watched many repeated soo matches on premier sports it left me asking the question was "the king" really that good? or was it a aura built up by the queensland press and public?  to be fair there never seemed to be any electric pace, jinking or sidestepping or anything out of the ordinary, sure he was a good passer grafter and leader but I think there have been much better half backs than him to come fron down under.

Having watched him play for Wakefield, he was playing a different game to every other player on the field, he could think faster than anyone else, pass further and amaze you with his skill. If you think of Darren Lockyer and Andrew Johns combined you get Wally, he had to be seen to be believed, way ahead of his time..

Having watched him play for Wakefield, he was playing a different game to every other player on the field, he could think faster than anyone else, pass further and amaze you with his skill. If you think of Darren Lockyer and Andrew Johns combined you get Wally, he had to be seen to be believed, way ahead of his time..

how many games did he play for wakey?

He played twelve, IIRC, costing Wakey £1,000 a match.

I saw his debut when Wakey played Hull at. Belle Vue around 1985. Also debuting was Peter Sterling for Hull. Certainly a game to reflect back on with an "I was there" kind of smugness.

Hull won 16-32.

I saw his debut when Wakey played Hull at. Belle Vue around 1985. Also debuting was Peter Sterling for Hull. Certainly a game to reflect back on with an "I was there" kind of smugness.

Hull won 16-32.

The first half of that game was one of the best I have ever seen, certainly the best I had seen to that point as I was only 10! Wakefield and Wally tired in the second half and Hull pulled away..

and it was ten games he played for Wakefield http://richarddelariviere.co.uk/?p=825

Hull won 16-32.

Wally played ten games.  The money (£1000) per match was put up by local businessman Barry Hough.  Oh for two similar men today.

and it was 1983  :D

Fair play, I didn't do any pre post homework. I presume I got the score correct though?

a very good player. as there are other very good players. I do not think he is as good as some other players I have seen e.g ellery, however, he was still a class player.

It was 1984 ;)

Wally Lewis played ten times for Wakefield Trinity in the 1983/84 season having signed on 3rd December 1983.

It was 1984 ;)

Wally Lewis played ten times for Wakefield Trinity in the 1983/84 season having signed on 3rd December 1983.

I stand corrected ; )

to be fair there never seemed to be any electric pace, jinking or sidestepping

I tend to associate those traits with an old school scrum half rather than an old school stand off.

Fair play, I didn't do any pre post homework. I presume I got the score correct though?

Even with Wally in the team, however, Wakefield couldn’t prevent the Airlie Birds from walking away with a 32-16 victory, and unfortunately that would be the story in half the games Wally would play.

I don't think Trinity won another game all season when he went back home.

For all his skill and mastery, he managed to spend most of his time in Yorkshire on the lash, and turned up at Wheldon road half cut and played.

I tend to associate those traits with an old school scrum half rather than an old school stand off.

and when you can pass the ball 30 metres across the field into somebodys chest, you dont need to scoot or jink or electric pace. For me he is the best player I have ever seen because he could see things nobody else could see or nobody else could do, he was light years ahead of his time compared to players in this country at the time..He was strong, tough and didnt know when he was beaten..

That ties in the Cas game (the engagement as I think it was a boxing day game).  I think the pub was on the left hand side just before the big bend to the right on Aberford road.... on the way to Newmarket.  

An amazing player, but in terms of benefit to the team, Colin Maskill and Nigel Bell to name but two put some bloody fine shifts in for Trinity and deserve some of the nostalgic recognition that Lewis gets.