Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bedlam breakout

wally lewis - how good was he?

58 posts in this topic

Wally Lewis was the best out and out 5/8 Captain and leader I have seen.

Brett Kenny was the best pure 5/8 ever IMO that I have seen.

It was 1983 and was captain on  the tour.

It was indeed, and we beat them! Leeds and Wigan got stuffed of course.

simply asking peoples views and memories of wally lewis that's all (since I have been drunk 68 million times since he hung up his boots my memories not that great), its like been asked if you would have rather had hanley or lewis in your dream team, now theres a question

You're not listening mate. I go back to the Frank Myler, Roger Millward, Bobby Futon era. They were great players. I've seen plenty of good 'uns in that time. Hanley was a great player but Hanley or Lewis ? Give me a millisecond to think about that. As a Brit it pains me to say it but Lewis was the best bar none.

Alex Murphy was the best scrum half I ever saw though.

Hanley was the better athlete, Lewis the better player, by far.

The "Scariest" however was Les Boyd! At sheddings he walked past me having come down the pavilion steps and I shuddered, having probably only just got over the sight of the ugliest player in rugby league Brian Hogan! Great memories though!

The "Scariest" however was Les Boyd! At sheddings he walked past me having come down the pavilion steps and I shuddered, having probably only just got over the sight of the ugliest player in rugby league Brian Hogan! Great memories though!

Sir Les, the Baby faced Assassin ;)  

Kenny was alright!

He never ever seemed to single handedly take a tight game by the scruff of the neck and haul his team to a victory in the way that Lewis did time after time for Australa, Queensland and Brisbane.