Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

XIII

Luckiest and unluckiest

70 posts in this topic

ratchford is by far the unluckiest, the best utility player in super league by a country mile.

Next to Richard Whiting you obviously meant! ;)

Double post - but Richard Whiting, whilst unfortunately too slow, is the most versatile player in SL by a country mile :)

Double post - but Richard Whiting, whilst unfortunately too slow, is the most versatile player in SL by a country mile :)

Whiting is like Kevin Sinfield, but he's actually good.

Whiting is like Kevin Sinfield, but he's actually good.

Blasphemous that is. You can't criticise royalty like that. You are referring to a player that is truly world class.....

I'm a fan of Whitjng but the difference between him and KS is that he's not quite good enough in any position he plays for his club to get an international cap...........

Definitely the luckiest player is Sinfield, he has this aura about him that is totally manufactured when it comes to his offerings as an international player, good club player yes, international no. He has never caused problems to the big two and they will not need any special or particular instruction to nullify him.

McNamara sees him as the savior of English Rugby League for some reason, His kicking game is nowhere near the best in SL, he has never been blessed with great pace - and certainly not with the passing years - his tackling is adequate, and his distribution OK, in total, quite an average player, no wonder there were jeers from all corners of the globe when he was nominated the Worlds Best -

I will challenge anyone to tell me who he is better than if he is selected at 6,7,9 or 13 than other members of this current squad, in fact I would go as far to say that he has never been the best that could have been selected in any of those positions in any Rep game he has played.

Hope I am totally wrong but even accounting for our weak centers I think he will prove to be "The Weakest Link"

This is not a Kevin Sinfield assassination, it is just pointing out reality.

You've nailed that....

Definitely the luckiest player is Sinfield

I will challenge anyone to tell me who he is better than if he is selected at 6,7,9 or 13 than other members of this current squad,

When it comes to goal kicking and tactical kicking, all of them.

His tactical kicking against Wigan was awful, no where near as good as Matty Smiths. I would also challenge it isn't as good as Widdops.

A player should not be picked on how good his kicking is either, it should be how good a player he is inclusive of kicking. He is not as good at hooker as Roby, he is not as good at half back as Matty Smith, Rangi Chase, Gareth Widdop, Richie Myler etc, he is not as good at loose forward as Sean O'Loughlin and Sam Burgess. All these players should be starting ahead of Sinfield and if it's only his kicking keeping him in the team then that is wrong.

How did Sinfield ever make the grade as a pro player with poor distribution skills,no pace or vision and a terrible kicking game?

His tactical kicking against Wigan was awful, no where near as good as Matty Smiths. I would also challenge it isn't as good as Widdops.

A player should not be picked on how good his kicking is either, it should be how good a player he is inclusive of kicking. He is not as good at hooker as Roby, he is not as good at half back as Matty Smith, Rangi Chase, Gareth Widdop, Richie Myler etc, he is not as good at loose forward as Sean O'Loughlin and Sam Burgess. All these players should be starting ahead of Sinfield and if it's only his kicking keeping him in the team then that is wrong.

Your basing Sinfields game on one playoff game where his team were beaten all over the park, what about last years playoffs where he was outstanding in every single one of them?

He does one thing better than all of the players you mention and that is lead the team and organise, look how the team practically fell apart against the exiles when he went off injured.

We get it you don't rate him but don't make stuff up to try prove your point.

How did Sinfield ever make the grade as a pro player with poor distribution skills,no pace or vision and a terrible kicking game?

Obviously he's just lucky as he was when he's won and captained a team to 6 grand finals, won the HS trophy in two of them won the lance Todd trophy, golden boot, WCC etc etc, all pure luck.

Your basing Sinfields game on one playoff game where his team were beaten all over the park, what about last years playoffs where he was outstanding in every single one of them?

He does one thing better than all of the players you mention and that is lead the team and organise, look how the team practically fell apart against the exiles when he went off injured.

We get it you don't rate him but don't make stuff up to try prove your point.

I haven't made anything up. Played off the park by Matty Smith in a high pressure game. Fact.

Isn't as good as good as all the players I mentioned in there positions. Fact.

You could easily find another captain to lead and organise the team.

You really do love him don't you!!

Straws, clutching, at.

He does the ordinary things consistently quite well. No more than that.

I haven't made anything up. Played off the park by Matty Smith in a high pressure game. Fact.

Your first point is a fact (although I didn't realise England selection was based on one game) the second is subjective and not a fact, you writing it doesn't make it so I'm afraid.

You really don't like him do you?

So your selection criteria is based on one game.

Opinion,not fact.

C'mon Terry, no one has said that he isn't a super league player that isn't worth is salt in any team you could name, it his selection in the International team, let alone the jack of all trades he is purported to be, don't forget that we who are criticising his inclusion have observed him in many many matches over the years - curtesy of TV - we are not watching our own and favoured players we are taking an abject view of his skills/performances as you know doubt do yourself when watching games and players other than the ones Leeds are involved in. 

Your first point is a fact (although I didn't realise England selection was based on one game) the second is subjective and not a fact, you writing it doesn't make it so I'm afraid.

You really don't like him do you?

I don't mind Sinfield at all. I've not said he isn't a good player, just that he isn't as good as the ones he is potentially keeping out of the squad. I don't believe he is international class. He has a decent kicking game, nothing more then any other decent kicker in superleague.

C'mon Terry, no one has said that he isn't a super league player that isn't worth is salt in any team you could name, it his selection in the International team, let alone the jack of all trades he is purported to be, don't forget that we who are criticising his inclusion have observed him in many many matches over the years - curtesy of TV - we are not watching our own and favoured players we are taking an abject view of his skills/performances as you know doubt do yourself when watching games and players other than the ones Leeds are involved in. 

Yet it seems odd that he keeps getting selected and is now captain despite  been such an average player,in the eyes of some.Funny how other players who continually got selected were above criticism.Never mind as TMFISL says "Haters gonna hate".I shall leave it at that.

I don't mind Sinfield at all. I've not said he isn't a good player, just that he isn't as good as the ones he is potentially keeping out of the squad. I don't believe he is international class. He has a decent kicking game, nothing more then any other decent kicker in superleague.

Fine that's your opinion, no need to state it as fact though.

My personal opinion is you will see a difference in Sinfield now he has been given the same role as he has for Leeds, something which prior to last years internationals he's not had for England.

I tend not to look at the game as black and white, we need a good team to beat the Australians and agood team is made up of many components and isn't just a case of selection people because they outplayed other people in one game at the end of the season.

McNamara has been building this squad for 3 years trying to build a team environment and one where players know each other's games and know there roles within the team, this is the best approach IMO, and to say Sinfirld is lucky to be I the side because Matty Smith had a better game in a playoff series is just stupid and seems a bit petty to me.

Fine that's your opinion, no need to state it as fact though.

My personal opinion is you will see a difference in Sinfield now he has been given the same role as he has for Leeds, something which prior to last years internationals he's not had for England.

I tend not to look at the game as black and white, we need a good team to beat the Australians and agood team is made up of many components and isn't just a case of selection people because they outplayed other people in one game at the end of the season.

McNamara has been building this squad for 3 years trying to build a team environment and one where players know each other's games and know there roles within the team, this is the best approach IMO, and to say Sinfirld is lucky to be I the side because Matty Smith had a better game in a playoff series is just stupid and seems a bit petty to me.

I didn't say Sinfield is lucky to be in because Matty Smith had a better kicking game though. I was replying to someone saying no one has as good a kicking game as Sinfield. I was making the point that other players do, i.e Matty Smith last week.

Yes one game, last week, look at the bigger picture.

Lot's of players have as good a kicking game though. Matty Smith's has been outstanding all season, a lot more then one game. Gareth Widdop has a very good kicking game and is also a goal kicker. Rangi Chase is another, the list goes on.

Lot's of players have as good a kicking game though. Matty Smith's has been outstanding all season, a lot more then one game. Gareth Widdop has a very good kicking game and is also a goal kicker. Rangi Chase is another, the list goes on.

And apart from Matty Smith those other players will feature in the team, as I said look at the bigger picture, this England squad is 3 years in the making.

I don't think your ever going to fully get what people are trying to explain to you as your love for Sinfield is so great you cannot see past it.

The bigger picture is that Sinfield is not good enough regardless of how long the England squad has been in the making. Morley has been there for the last 3 years but isn't now as he is no longer good enough. Wilkin and JJB are another 2. They have been there but aren't now. Sinfield falls into this bracket. He is simply not as good as the players he is keeping out but you can't see that obviously.

I don't think your ever going to fully get what people are trying to explain to you as your love for Sinfield is so great you cannot see past it.

The bigger picture is that Sinfield is not good enough regardless of how long the England squad has been in the making. Morley has been there for the last 3 years but isn't now as he is no longer good enough. Wilkin and JJB are another 2. They have been there but aren't now. Sinfield falls into this bracket. He is simply not as good as the players he is keeping out but you can't see that obviously.

I don't have any great love for a Sinfield no matter how many times you and Ant bang on about it.

It's not me who is blind, you are stating he is not good enough as though it's fact, it isn't it's your opinion and not one which the England coach shares. He's also not keeping most of the players out he will he playing along side them why you keep stating he's keeping them out I don't know.

What I can see is McNamara has built his team over 3 years to compete in this World Cup, you and I may disagree with some if his selections but you seem to want to rift them off before a game is played.

My prediction is we'll be the second best team in this WC, not because McNamara has picked the wrong squad it will simply because the Australian side is a far better team than we can put out. I think we'll beat them in the opening game, meet them in the final and get beat, and I'm sure you'll be on here if that happens saying 'I told you so' Sinfield was rubbish when in reality things aren't as black and white as you seem to think.

You also don't seem to take into account a point I made earlier about this being the first time in a proper series Sinfield will be given the same role as he has held very successfully at Leeds let's see how he goes.

I also get the feeling you'd prefer the SL dream team to be the England team? I'm not sure using a made up team selected by journalists is the best way forward do you?

I don't have any great love for a Sinfield no matter how many times you and Ant bang on about it.

It's not me who is blind, you are stating he is not good enough as though it's fact, it isn't it's your opinion and not one which the England coach shares. He's also not keeping most of the players out he will he playing along side them why you keep stating he's keeping them out I don't know.

What I can see is McNamara has built his team over 3 years to compete

DELETED