Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

David Wild

Wow! - RL Good News Story on Front Page of Daily Mirror

45 posts in this topic

Just got today's Daily Mirror and couldn't believe that RL had made the front page!  Not only that, it has a double page spread in the front section all about the Burgess brothers and the RL World Cup. 

Usually, this type of treatment is reserved purely for bad news RL stories.  Well done Daily Mirror.

Can only be good for the game and the profile of the World Cup.

Their dad Mark used to coach me years ago and was a top bloke - he would be extremely proud.

I can't help but picture the headline

Heartbroken mother Lukes on as McBanana picks Burgess brothers. Farce.

Ohhh it's the Daily Mirror, ahh.

;)

In my opinion for what its worth,  the Daily Mirror and the Daily Star are the best national newspapers for Rugby League

In my opinion for what its worth,  the Daily Mirror and the Daily Star are the best national newspapers for Rugby League

Has the story been given the same prominance nationally though.

Is it front page news in the London version.

Just got today's Daily Mirror and couldn't believe that RL had made the front page! 

This wouldn't be International RL news would it?

Maybe the quicker we get Toulouse in and England playing France the better eh?

Whoops I hadn't spotted this thread when I posted ahoy today's a Daily Mail.

The Burgess Brothers are now one of the top trends on twitter.  Just behind Barack Obama

I've seen the picture of the 4 of them and their mother in a few of the papers today

Mrs Burgess was on 5Live this morning chatting about her sons.....she did a great job talking about the world cup, how big RL is in Sydney, how the media treat it like the English media treats Football, she came across very well

Julie is on the front page of the BBC website talking about her upset at Luke not being picked. There' a link to an interview in there too so I'm guess it's the 5 live interview.

Has the story been given the same prominance nationally though.

Is it front page news in the London version.

I'll buy a copy tonight

Mrs Burgess was on 5Live this morning chatting about her sons.....she did a great job talking about the world cup, how big RL is in Sydney, how the media treat it like the English media treats Football, she came across very well

Julie Burgess was also on BBC Radio 2 with Chris Evans this morning too.

International RL generating publicity, who'd have thought it?!

The whole Burgess family are great ambassadors for the game

It was on pages 16/17 in all editions nationally and also featured on the front page in Yorkshire and Lancashire. Bit of a result I'd say...

A few people (myself included) question Tom Burgess' inclusion in the squad. However, given the unprecedented coverage of this story today, is there a case that for the media boost alone this has been a good decision? Particularly given that the likelihood is that Tom Burgess (or Crabtree, Carvell or whoever else missed out in his place) are unlikely to get a game ahead of Mossop, Hill, Sam Burgess, George Burgess, and Graham anyway?

A few people (myself included) question Tom Burgess' inclusion in the squad. However, given the unprecedented coverage of this story today, is there a case that for the media boost alone this has been a good decision? Particularly given that the likelihood is that Tom Burgess (or Crabtree, Carvell or whoever else missed out in his place) are unlikely to get a game ahead of Mossop, Hill, Sam Burgess, George Burgess, and Graham anyway?

I doubt this would have been a factor in deciding the squad but its definitely a great story. We have characters in our sport with great stories and if we can inch further and further into the minds of the nationals then these players can become household names. Its always going to take time but for once I feel positive that with this world cup we will see an improvement. 

You cant knock the media boost and in some way, Lukes omission will have helped that giving both the family pleasure and pain, desperately sad however that is on a personal level.

Havent seen enough NRL to make a call on Tom's call up though.

Havent seen enough NRL to make a call on Tom's call up though.

He's been good when he's played but he's not had a huge amount of game time. He's not made the impact George has but George has an extra year in the bank at Souths.

This is a prime example of how international profile is the only way to get the media interested.

I don't like to be negative, but there is one negative with this publicity - all the people being talked about will be off back to Australia after the tournament ends.

We need some good news stories surrounding the English based players if this media love-in is going to continue past the WC.

Hopefully the likes of Sinfield and O'Loughlin, as well as others, will get some publicity as well

Julie is on the front page of the BBC website talking about her upset at Luke not being picked. There' a link to an interview in there too so I'm guess it's the 5 live interview.

The sports guy on radio 2 this morning was hoping to interview her at about 8:45 on Chris Evens' show. Do know if he did, I was in work by then.

The sports guy on radio 2 this morning was hoping to interview her at about 8:45 on Chris Evens' show. Do know if he did, I was in work by then.

Voila, as they say in Upholland.