Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mick Carroll

USA World Cup Squad / Coaching (merged threads)

82 posts in this topic

There are more USA based rugby union players in there than rugby league players and the USARL has been completely ignored.

For those of us who don't know much about the USA team, why are people peed off?

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=427872

Don't read if you don't want to have a downer put on the World Cup though. Basically the Tomahawks side is run by Australians, and they've included a bunch of park players from Australia ahead of domestic Americans of equivalent quality. No surprise given the shocking actions of the AMNRL in the past, but there was some hope that they would do the right thing because the administration seemed to have changed and they've been picking USARL players for recent matches with Canada.

Mark Cantoni (Dalby), Andrew Durutalo (USA Eagles), Bureta Faraimo (Mackay Cutters), Gabriel Farley (Southampton Dragons), Kristian Freed (Connecticut Wildcats), Mike Garvey (Ipswich Jets), Roman Hifo (Mangere East Hawks, New Zealand), Danny Howard (Wentworthville), Stephen Howard (Tuggeranong Vikings), Luke Hume (New York Knights), Judah Lavulo (Cabramatta), Joel Luani (Wests Tigers), David Marando (Belrose), Ryan McGoldrick (Salford City Reds), Clint Newton (Penrith Panthers), Mark Offerdahl (Connecticut Wildcats), Joseph Paulo (Parramatta Eels), Junior Paulo (Parramatta Eels), Craig Priestly (Southampton Dragons), Matt Petersen (Cudgen Hornets), Tui Samoa (Redcliffe Dolphins), Matt Shipway (Newcastle), Les Soloai, Lelauloto Tagaloa (Hawaii Chiefs)

In Detail:

http://rlsquads.weebly.com/usa-world-cup-2013.html

That squad is a joke. How can the likes of Apple Pope and Curtis Cunz miss out yet someone like Soloai who appears to be a rugby union player get picked? The whole running of the USA side has been a mess for a while now, really wish Jamaica had qualified instead.

That squad is a joke. How can the likes of Apple Pope and Curtis Cunz miss out yet someone like Soloai who appears to be a rugby union player get picked? The whole running of the USA side has been a mess for a while now, really wish Jamaica had qualified instead.

It is a joke isn't it.

Interesting discussion involving players and coaches in the USA on LU going on

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?p=9656852

Was so looking forward to Apple Pope signining a picture of a Pope and an apple after the game at Bristol. :(

Mark Cantoni (Dalby), Andrew Durutalo (USA Eagles), Bureta Faraimo (Mackay Cutters), Gabriel Farley (Southampton Dragons), Kristian Freed (Connecticut Wildcats), Mike Garvey (Ipswich Jets), Roman Hifo (Mangere East Hawks, New Zealand), Danny Howard (Wentworthville), Stephen Howard (Tuggeranong Vikings), Luke Hume (New York Knights), Judah Lavulo (Cabramatta), Joel Luani (Wests Tigers), David Marando (Belrose), Ryan McGoldrick (Salford City Reds), Clint Newton (Penrith Panthers), Mark Offerdahl (Connecticut Wildcats), Joseph Paulo (Parramatta Eels), Junior Paulo (Parramatta Eels), Craig Priestly (Southampton Dragons), Matt Petersen (Cudgen Hornets), Tui Samoa (Redcliffe Dolphins), Matt Shipway (Newcastle), Les Soloai, Lelauloto Tagaloa (Hawaii Chiefs)

In Detail:

That's confirmed it. I'll be cheering on Cook Islands in Bristol

In Detail:

Matt Petersen has scored 2 tries in 13 games for a team that finished 6th out of 8 in the Gold Coast League (which I have only just found out exists!

The United States squad is in disarray only weeks out from the start of the rugby league World Cup after head coach Brian Smith reportedly quit.

Fairfax Media is reporting on Thursday night that former NRL coach Smith has resigned due to a family matter.

He is the second coach to withdraw from the job after current Warriors coach Matthew Elliott left in August.

"There's just been something come up that I really couldn't miss, unfortunately," Smith said.

I don't expect them to do much at the world cup but this will only make it harder for them.

Also disappointing that one of their better known players is not included in their squad, I wanted the opportunity to tweet "as American as Apple Pope."

whats the issue with this squad? genuinely I know little about the usa team

What have the AMNRL done this time?...

Probably the usual story.... They've fu**ed him about somehow.

whats the issue with this squad? genuinely I know little about the usa team

Out of all the boys that have played their Colonial Cup games this year only 3/4 have been selected the rest have been shunned and replaced by guys who had played their whole seasons in Rugby Union competitions.

No USARL players are included either.

I find this news, and the news about the Tomahawks squad generally, really disappointing.  I don't think anything bar family crisis could justify what Brian Smith has apparently done, frankly.  (And no family crisis has been reported)  I do hope an alternative coach is found but I wouldn't be surprised if the USA pulled out of the comp as I'm not sure how they could possibly perform without a coach.

As for the squad, Steve Mascord said on Twitter that one of the pacific island teams ahead of one international comp (can't remember which one, although he did mention it) threatened to sue the rugby league authorities for allowing amateur players to play against fulltime professionals.  That is a good point.  Players like the fabulously named Apple Pope are amateur players.   We wouldn't allow amateurs versus full timers in this country; we can't really justify it at international level.  The risk of serious injury would be too high.  However, it is still disappointing not to have some real live Americans in the team or at least coming over with them, perhaps to promote the side while they are over here.

Either way, rugby league seems to shoot itself in the foot no matter where it is played in the world!

I find this news, and the news about the Tomahawks squad generally, really disappointing.  I don't think anything bar family crisis could justify what Brian Smith has apparently done, frankly.  (And no family crisis has been reported)  I do hope an alternative coach is found but I wouldn't be surprised if the USA pulled out of the comp as I'm not sure how they could possibly perform without a coach.

As for the squad, Steve Mascord said on Twitter that one of the pacific island teams ahead of one international comp (can't remember which one, although he did mention it) threatened to sue the rugby league authorities for allowing amateur players to play against fulltime professionals.  That is a good point.  Players like the fabulously named Apple Pope are amateur players.   We wouldn't allow amateurs versus full timers in this country; we can't really justify it at international level.  The risk of serious injury would be too high.  However, it is still disappointing not to have some real live Americans in the team or at least coming over with them, perhaps to promote the side while they are over here.

Either way, rugby league seems to shoot itself in the foot no matter where it is played in the world!

Not sure the amateur versus full-time pro thing is an issue. Happens all the time away from league fixtures eg Challenge Cup, domestic internationals.

Tonga?

About the amateur v professional - what about the Challenge Cup?

Not sure the amateur versus full-time pro thing is an issue. Happens all the time away from league fixtures eg Challenge Cup, domestic internationals.

Amateur teams don't play full time professional teams in the Challenge Cup.  They may play the lower echelons of the semi-pro game but not the full timers.  The full timers don't join the comp until well after the amateurs have been knocked out.

Which domestic internationals take place between full timers and amateurs?