Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mick Carroll

USA World Cup Squad / Coaching (merged threads)

82 posts in this topic

This worldcup is a big joke !

Italia, USA, Tonga, Samoa are australian team !

you are if course welcome to go to the Samoan, Tongans and Fijian teams and tell them how you feel. We'll hold a memorial service for you.

So after being selected for NZ then playing for Samoa earlier this year, Eddie Pettybourne is now going to play for USA in the WC.

So after being selected for NZ then playing for Samoa earlier this year, Eddie Pettybourne is now going to play for USA in the WC.

Not sure how they've managed this, as he was in the NZ squad for the 2009 4 Nations, albeit he never played a match, and then switched allegiance to play for Samoa against Tonga earlier this year. Given that players are only allowed to switch once in any WC cycle, I can only assume that because he never played for NZ this latest switch is OK.

Not sure how they've managed this, as he was in the NZ squad for the 2009 4 Nations, albeit he never played a match, and then switched allegiance to play for Samoa against Tonga earlier this year. Given that players are only allowed to switch once in any WC cycle, I can only assume that because he never played for NZ this latest switch is OK.

So he was born in NZ, does he have one American parent and one Samoan parent? Seems odd that they'd then have a child in NZ..

So he was born in NZ, does he have one American parent and one Samoan parent? Seems odd that they'd then have a child in NZ..

I could be wrong, but I think he qualifies through American Samoa descent, which is how the Paulo brothers come to be in the US squad as well. Joseph Paulo has played for both Samoa and the US.

Seem to recall American Samoa used to be regulars in the old Pacific Cup of the 80s and 90s. Maybe Mr Pettybourne could play for them as well...

How many of the USA squad are "American Samoan"?

There's a few Samoans and NZ born lads, but the only one (other than Pettybourne and the Paulos) who I can find to be definitely of American Samoan descent is Bureta Faraimo:-

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/mackay-cutters-winger-bureta-faraimo-on-cusp-of-realising-unlikely-nrl-dream/story-fni3fbgz-1226721339087

Faraimo, who has earned comparisons to Auckland Warriors champion Manu Vatuvei, hopes to represent the US at the World Cup if only he can find the paperwork that shows his father was born on Swains Island, a coconut plantation with a population of 17 which is nominally part of American Samoa.