Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doghead

MPs call on Virgin Media to show RLWC13 on Premier Sports

28 posts in this topic

If I had a pound for every work colleague who's asked me in the last two or three weeks where they can watch the RLWC only for me to have to advise them it's on a  subscription sports channel that they as not regular RL fans have probably never heard of, I'd have about £13.. (you get the point)

I still insist that selling the rights to Premier Sports for the whole RLWC package (I know the England games are on BBC) is the biggest mistake of this event. Especially considering the interest it seems to have generated in this past week or so with friends and colleagues who wouldn't otherwise be that interested in Rugby League but will follow the International game in an event such as this.

I'm not on Virgin myself, but I really hope they manage to show it for free for the duration, but as other posters have quite rightly stated, they're under no obligation to do so.

I agree, showing it on Premier Sports guarantees tiny viewing figures. Also, it doesn't make it seem like a big event to be on such an obscure channel. At least the biggest games are on the BBC.

This is a difficult one for me. It seems to be a balance between everything on Sky or the situation we have now with the bigger matches on BBC and the rest on Premier.

Of the 2, I think Rugby League as a whole will benefit more from the 2nd option. The BBC is so big there are Rugby League adverts in many obscure places at the moment (BBC3, BBC Radio 6Music, etc....) as well as the website publicity they have given us. If Sky had been the sole broadcaster we would not have got any of this

The BBC reaches the parts other broadcasters can not reach.  It always has and continues to do so.

Murdoch knows this and has had numerous attempts at trying to change the BBC's unique broadcasting position.