Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

emigrated roughyed

World Cup media coverage

1,641 posts in this topic

Best crowd in Bristol for 102 years!

Bigger than that. Only drew 1,000 back then. 

"A team made up from a couple of Americans plus "others" from elsewhere! Of course more rugby union is played in America" is about the gist of the bit I caught at the end of the piece.

Exactly that

Presumably they comment about every other sport being smaller than another one then?

Do they, for instance during the Union WC, state 'of course there are more soccer players in SA'. I think I can guess the answer to that one. 

Presumably they comment about every other sport being smaller than another one then?

Do they, for instance during the Union WC, state 'of course there are more soccer players in SA'. I think I can guess the answer to that one. 

Or the "dubious" qualifications of some RU England players over the years, let alone those of smaller nations.

Looks like more positive coverage coming in Bristol later - Chairman Phil has been booked to appear on BBC Radio Bristol's drive time show to talk about the game and its impact on RL in the city. Talking to the journalists and producers there, they seem very impressed - they think such a good crowd is brilliant news for the city.

I shudder to think what it would have been like if we'd had a poor turn out. They'd either have ignored it or put the boot in. To be fair toe BBC Bristol, they've been very supportive over the last few days. I spent a lot of time with their reporter, Dan Albutt, at the game yesterday, and he did loads of interviews which will go in a package on their Saturday sport show - representatives of both teams, Sally Bolton, vox pops with new fans etc.

Someone called me this morning to discuss the game (a local RL enthusiast, and RU referee/junior coach) and he told me that all he heard in the stands was people talking about how great it was and asking when the Sonics started up again for 2014. Hopefully there were some from other parts of the wider region - Swindon, Gloucester etc - who will get involved with RL in their neck of the woods and strengthen it further there.

Probably why Bristol was so successful, these banners were everywhere - at the waterfront where all the bars and clubs are, in the main square, outside the shopping centre and this one was taken in between two busy roads where there is a "bus island" full of bus stops for both the roads and there is a fountain feature there. It connects the waterfront with the Old City. All these are very prime locations.

Bristol1.jpg

The US team doing some last minute promoting of the game in Bristol city centre!

Bristol2.jpg

Some sort of feature coming up on the main ITV news soon about Sam and Joel Tomkins soon.

Probably featuring a quote I just heard on Radio 2 by Joel about RU international being a step up from RL

Smaller articles again in the Mirror (seen at work) and the Daily Telegraph, both of which dealing with characters rather than last night's game unfortunately, although there were mentions of the results.

I think maybe the RLWC office/their PR section has stopped feeding to the press or else last night's game might have received greater coverage (for the historical significance of it within our sport as well as the success of it on a local basis).

Probably featuring a quote I just heard on Radio 2 by Joel about RU international being a step up from RL

It was about which game the parents would go and they ended up saying they're going the Union game.

It was about which game the parents would go and they ended up saying they're going the Union game.

Seems fair seeing as how it is Joel's debut for the team.

They might also need to catch up on some sleep :)

And the RFU probably had the nous to invite them, complete with a full hospitality package, and then sow the story in the media.

And the RFU probably had the nous to invite them, complete with a full hospitality package, and then sow the story in the media.

Nothing to read into this. Sam has said that Saturday will be the first time he has had no family members watching him, but as it's Joel's debut that's understandable.

This was in today's SMH (with ratings figures at the end)

RLWC: TV blackout for tournament telecast has fans angered

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/rlwc-tv-blackout-for-tournament-telecast-has-fans-angered-20131031-2wlyt.html#ixzz2jLUhwphO

So much for live and uninterrupted coverage of the Rugby League World Cup.

Not for the first time since the tournament kicked off on Sunday, angry viewers vented on social media about their access to the showpiece international event. The United States enjoyed perhaps their finest moment on the world stage in their 32-20 win against the Cook Islands in Bristol.

But in a major embarrassment for organisers, league fans were unable to tune into the action due to issues with the host broadcaster and the satellite connection. When the matter was finally sorted, the coverage was replayed from the start of the match rather than providing the promised live coverage.

''The issue was with the host broadcaster and the satellite connection,'' a Seven spokesperson said. ''When the satellite issue was resolved and play was in progress, the host broadcaster re-cued to the start of the match and we could not broadcast live.''

Advertisement

The host of Seven's coverage, Ryan Phelan, tweeted: ''The issues this morning are being experienced all over the world not just 7Sport it is a major error from host broadcaster IMG.''

The gaffe follows complaints from fans unable to access the coverage on the Seven Network's 7mate station, which can only be picked up by households with HD access. Locked-out viewers aired their displeasure on social media. However, the network has no plans to switch the coverage to its main channel or 7TWO, instead blaming Foxtel for access issues.

''7mate, One and Gem are not available on all forms of Foxtel delivery,'' the spokesperson said.

''This is beyond the control of the free-to-air television networks. It is unfortunate but it's a Foxtel business decision.''

Despite the problems, including the time difference, the coverage is posting reasonable ratings. The opening game between Australia and England attracted 160,000 metro viewers, with the figure rising to 268,000 when regional viewership was added to the total.

The free-to-air shares were 42 per cent in Sydney and 48 per cent in Melbourne - the previous week the cities averaged just 4 per cent each for the midnight to 2am timeslot.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/rlwc-tv-blackout-for-tournament-telecast-has-fans-angered-20131031-2wlyt.html#ixzz2jLUXNkhm

Nothing to read into this. Sam has said that Saturday will be the first time he has had no family members watching him, but as it's Joel's debut that's understandable.

The only thing I am reading into it is that union is far more savvy at this stuff than we are.

No mention on the two main tv channels here this evening that the Kiwis are playing tonight. Like living on another planet when it comes to League.If you think the media is biased in the UK, try this place.