Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

emigrated roughyed

World Cup media coverage

1,641 posts in this topic

Good to see the old boy network is alive and well. :dry:

Yes but this was just a small (but well connected) school. The scale of it when you get to the top of the game must be mind blowing

What is he supposed to write in this story-that everything is rosy in the England camp and they are feeling positive about winning the tournament?

The media are primed to look for negatives in camp discipline and behaviour, this is a favourite theme when covering major tournaments. Anyone remember what happened on the pitch in England's last rugby union world cup, or France's last bash at the soccer version; no but I definitely recall Mike Tindall and dwarf-throwing and the Gallic team going on strike.

The difference is for every article criticising someone, I bet there were 5 saying 'come on everyone, get behind the team' etc. Balance.

The only upbeat articles I have seen is from non RL people generally.

IIRC Wilson, Irvine and Hadfield are all freelancers, so they only get paid if an article is carried by the paper. Write something disparaging about the game or the people in it and you stand more chance of getting it in print. Then you get your cheque.

What is he supposed to write in this story-that everything is rosy in the England camp and they are feeling positive about winning the tournament?

The media are primed to look for negatives in camp discipline and behaviour, this is a favourite theme when covering major tournaments. Anyone remember what happened on the pitch in England's last rugby union world cup, or France's last bash at the soccer version; no but I definitely recall Mike Tindall and dwarf-throwing and the Gallic team going on strike.

He is saying that England are not telling the truth. That means he must know the truth. Why doesn't he tell us? He is a journalist after all isn't he?

IIRC Wilson, Irvine and Hadfield are all freelancers, so they only get paid if an article is carried by the paper. Write something disparaging about the game or the people in it and you stand more chance of getting it in print. Then you get your cheque.

This is probably the reality of it, however one thing we have seen is that the press have been absolutely prepared to put in decent articles, we have said for weeks now that there have been some genuinely interesting reads in the build up. Most of them from 'outsiders'.

once again the liverpool echo did the great game proud, reports on all the week ends games and a look ahead to others, with the yawnion international getting a very small mention. just a shame that the game never took off in the city,

once again the liverpool echo did the great game proud, reports on all the week ends games and a look ahead to others, with the yawnion international getting a very small mention. just a shame that the game never took off in the city,

But I heard a lot of support for Widnes comes from Liverpool?

The fantastic Scotland v Italy match got all of 12 words in Tuesday's SMH here in Sydney !!! (I am not making that up)

On a brighter note, this was posted on an Australian RL forum:

"I don't know if it has been mentioned elsewhere but the World Cup is being broadcast throughout the subcontinent on Ten Sports. It is one of the biggest cable sports channels in Asia. I've been watching the games from Sri Lanka and Nepal."

Hadfield writes: England have said that they will make no further comment, while Hardaker has asked for his privacy to be respected.  

That's OK  and is the correct response from England but he concludes with this rubbish which contradicts the line above.

"Another mess, badly handled."

Maybe he should give his fee to the RLBF

Look upon negative press stories as being positive. That is the higher the profile of any sport the more focus and hence more negative stuff gets into news. Of course positive stories too but it still means the sport is getting a higher profile otherwise even negative stuff wouldn't get into the media.    We all want more media coverage. but of course only want it if its positive but it ain't how the media work. The higher the profile the more journalists looking for dirt to get an headline.   So far the dirt has been pretty poor fare when you consider all aspects.   That is it ain't much and hardly gets picked up by the big media that is TV which is a poor show to the journalist and his efforts in digging the dirt - after all he is trying to drive his career and to get headline's means he can charge more for his services, so far it is poor stuff to the big boys of the media world and won't have done anything for the careers of those so called headline grabbing stories.

Overall the RLWC as a whole is well on the positive side.

Mr Irvine has today decided that the England players have chucked their toys out of the pram.

Invaluable writing tips for University of Huddersfield's finest no doubt ...

That is an excellent little article. Not hiding the fact that there are heritage players being used, but also not using it to beat the team with.

This is what our journalists struggle with. They feel they have to batter the game over things like this and then say that they are not cheerleaders!

TBH, some of the articles this year have been brilliant reads, almost all of them have been from non-rl journos.

Just found this on the BBC Sport website (sorry if it's been flagged up before):

"BBC Sport has committed to broadcasting live International rugby league for the next four years, including the Four Nations in 2014 and 2016 and the next World Cup in 2017"

At least George Riley always has positive things to say.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/24812485

True. And he'll always try to give the game a bit of an extra push when doing the morning bulletins on Five Live. He's not doing those so much during the World Cup due to his broadcasting commitments, but he certainly got a bit of chat going this morning.

http://www.mondopallone.it/2013/11/04/rugby-league-world-cup-2013-ruggiscono-australia-nuova-zelanda-e-inghilterra-pari-litalia-con-la-scozia/

"Naxos Brough and the protagonists: two goals for the 'hooker Olympique Avignon, direction and flashes of class to the star of Huddersfield Giants, Man of Steel last English league. The ingredients were perfect, well misturati, cooked at the right temperature and the dish came very tasty: 30-30, and is all in all an equal right, which keeps the games open, waiting to see the outcome of Tonga-Cook Islands."

For all the good things BBC have done so far around this world cup, looking at the BBC sport home page you wouldn't know the world cup is happening. You'd like to think whichever group of people are in power at the BBC, when signing the deal for showing the world cup they would have put structures in place to make sure things like the BBC sport website pushed content and features throughout the duration of the tournament with a consistent presence on the home page. That doesn't seem to be the case. You'd also like to think the PR team behind RLWC13 would also be supplying content and features to a whole manor of websites, blogs and news agencies throughout.

For all the good things BBC have done so far around this world cup, looking at the BBC sport home page you wouldn't know the world cup is happening. You'd like to think whichever group of people are in power at the BBC, when signing the deal for showing the world cup they would have put structures in place to make sure things like the BBC sport website pushed content and features throughout the duration of the tournament with a consistent presence on the home page. That doesn't seem to be the case. You'd also like to think the PR team behind RLWC13 would also be supplying content and features to a whole manor of websites, blogs and news agencies throughout.

After the England game on Saturday, their lead story on the homepage, including photos was of the England RU game, a game televised live by Sky Sports.

I suppose I am just being chippy!

After the England game on Saturday, their lead story on the homepage, including photos was of the England RU game, a game televised live by Sky Sports.

I suppose I am just being chippy!

Yesterday, the @BBCsport twitter feed did not have a RLWC tweet for over 15 hours at one point, while the breaking news feed on the sport homepage carried no RLWC stories upto 15:30 when I last checked it.