Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

emigrated roughyed

World Cup media coverage

1,641 posts in this topic

world cup final

A peak of 1.92m/14.9% at 3.55pm.

thats really good. interesting that the peak was towards the end and people didnt switch off because they were bored!

thats really good. interesting that the peak was towards the end and people didnt switch off because they were bored!

Could have just been football fans waiting for Final Score?

Not sure that's the case as it wasn't slated to start on BBC One until 1630 and in any case isn't it available online and on the Red Button from 1430 onwards?

Off topic please forgive me..but i was really pleased to find out that the people in front of me at OT were Irish, the people to their side were Dutch and the people behind me were German. Then had a good chat with some Northampton people at the hotel this morning who are now Hull FC fans and cannot stand Union. How good is that? what a world cup this has been..trust the bloody aussies to spoil it though

cross code sub forum thataway - any chance of staying on topic?

Could not agree more, but you have to counter some misconceptions wherever you meet them.

Yep. There would have been massive additional benefits had England made the final. But we didn't. That can't be helped. We still made great strides as a game, and need to build on what we did achieve, rather than worry about what might have been.

It gives an insight into the potential there is for a successful national side though.

I wasn't worried about what might have been.  I was lamenting it.

Honestly you could probably add 1m or more to that viewing figure if it had been 20-20 with 10 minutes to go. Figures record viewers not sticking with the game that is very one-sided as well as new ones tuning in.

Honestly you could probably add 1m or more to that viewing figure if it had been 20-20 with 10 minutes to go. Figures record viewers not sticking with the game that is very one-sided as well as new ones tuning in.

Maybe, although the matches involving England all peaked at around the same figure (with a small increase week on week) so that would suggest that there were around one million of the BBC's international rugby league audience watching because England were involved. 

Thank you to Grimsey and Gerremonside for the two brilliant eulogies that you have written to describe your World Cup experience. You have both put into words the emotions that many have felt during this exhilarating month.

Where is this post from Gerremonside ?

Just opened today's Mail on Saturday (national edition).

A paltry 8" column inches to the biying to ggest sporting event of the day (RLWC Final). Meanwhile, Marland Yarde's injury gets twice as much, and the meanderings of footbal pundits are indulged to the n'th degree.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the Parliamentary Rugby League Committee needs to earn its corn and grill the newspaper editors. There is no defence for this patent bias anymore, and simply sitting back and saying "that's just the way it is, we can't change it" will not do.

Politicians should not be questioning what a free-liberal media should or should not be reporting on. State controlled media is a very bad route to go down. Westminster has increasingly been trying to make all forms of media bend to it's own interests.

Newspapers are driven by interests of their readership. 

Politicians should not be questioning what a free-liberal media should or should not be reporting on. State controlled media is a very bad route to go down. Westminster has increasingly been trying to make all forms of media bend to it's own interests.

Newspapers are driven by interests of their readership. 

Really?  Lots of people signed up to Virgin wouldn't have had the benefit of Premier Sports coverage of the world cup had it not been for the rugby league parliamentary group, which after all is a lobby group on behalf of our sport and therefore surely has the interests of rugby league supporters at heart, unlike large sections of the media.

Really?  Lots of people signed up to Virgin wouldn't have had the benefit of Premier Sports coverage of the world cup had it not been for the rugby league parliamentary group, which after all is a lobby group on behalf of our sport and therefore surely has the interests of rugby league supporters at heart, unlike large sections of the media.

But the premier sport issue was about broadcasting premier sport on the virgin platform not telling premier sport what they should show. Completely different issues and MP's telling independent media organisation what they should be reporting on is a very slippery slope. 

But the premier sport issue was about broadcasting premier sport on the virgin platform not telling premier sport what they should show. Completely different issues and MP's telling independent media organisation what they should be reporting on is a very slippery slope. 

However, it was shall we say encouraging Virgin what to show.

And lobbying takes place as a matter of routine in pretty much all walks of life.  I'm personally glad of the RL Parliamentary Group and hope they put pressure on the media to take more notice of our sport. 

WC Highlights  should have been on BBC2 this afternoon. Relegated to the Red Button. Should have started at 6pm . Now nothing 

The Final got back page coverage on the Telegraph Sports section (well 70% of back page with rowing). I know back page is good Monday-Saturday but I'm presuming front page is better for Sunday... Front page was Aaron Ramsey and Wales v Australia Union.

Ian Chadband did the match report and did the "World Cup Report Card". To summarise three positives and three negatives:

P - Organisation and running, seven sell-outs four stadium records records in Wales and Ireland, Final sellout etc

P - England game against New Zealand and their close match against Australia

P - The fact that league players are down to earth including SBW as opposed to football players

N - England's discipline including Hock, Hardaker, Chase and McNamaras handling of it all

N - Wales' performance. Massive missed opportunity

N - Referees not making enough try decisions themselves, and video referees taking too long with calls.

I see our old friend Michael Calvin was at it again today. "The so-called feel-good factor is a PR-driven fantasy". Apparently the marketing betrayed those working at junior level outside the M62 corridor. And there was everyone at the Sonics feeling enthused and re-invigorated. If only we'd got the memo!

Not posting a link as it will only encourage him. Bobbie Goulding has re-tweeted a picture of it (and that's been RT'd by RLMeltdown).

Read the piece by Michael Calvin. I think the gentleman doth protest too much and loves the attention. He's such a tease.

To the two posters above, I can only apologise. I can honestly say I know no one in the game who would be so stupid and petty. In fact, I coach a junior side in the Midlands and we have a few lads who play for us in the winter and a junior RL side  in the summer, without any problems at all. No one at my club has ever even passed a mild comment

Most people in rugby union are sound.  I am involved in rugby league and the club that have helped us most are Liverpool St Helens RUFC.  That said, we have also had the experience of a ground being booked for national team training at the last minute whilst their national team were actually playing a game. 

No meed for you to apologise, it is a few people being cocks, but we have them in every sport.

There seem to be a few 'highs and lows' articles knocking about, and every one seems to be really struggling for the 'lows', but they seem to be trying hard to find them and so far coming up pretty empty.

I read somewhere England not making the final was a 'low' of the tournament. We played in arguably the best game of rugby by a british team for a generation, and the end result is a reason to be negative about the tournament.

I see our old friend Michael Calvin was at it again today. "The so-called feel-good factor is a PR-driven fantasy". Apparently the marketing betrayed those working at junior level outside the M62 corridor. And there was everyone at the Sonics feeling enthused and re-invigorated. If only we'd got the memo!

Not posting a link as it will only encourage him. Bobbie Goulding has re-tweeted a picture of it (and that's been RT'd by RLMeltdown).

I've just seen this on twitter.This guy is a strange fellow to say the least,its like he's wrote this article about another sporting event and then just decided he would attach it to the RLWC

I think the guy has issues. Its clearly attention seeking drivel. I wonder why the sports editor thought 'yeah that's fine to print'? It simply wouldn't happen to other sports.

Whatever his criticism might be, RL makes a better fist of its lot than the 'independent' does of being a newspaper. I hope the rag goes under soon.

BBC Sports Personality soon, wonder if we will get more then our normal 1 minute of coverage !!

Twice in 3 months for Calvin. Think he's best ignored.

There seem to be a few 'highs and lows' articles knocking about, and every one seems to be really struggling for the 'lows', but they seem to be trying hard to find them and so far coming up pretty empty.

I read somewhere England not making the final was a 'low' of the tournament. We played in arguably the best game of rugby by a british team for a generation, and the end result is a reason to be negative about the tournament.

I think the guy has issues. Its clearly attention seeking drivel. I wonder why the sports editor thought 'yeah that's fine to print'? It simply wouldn't happen to other sports.

Whatever his criticism might be, RL makes a better fist of its lot than the 'independent' does of being a newspaper. I hope the rag goes under soon.

This wouldn't be the same Michael Calvin who said that Romelu Lukaku was the worst £20m player he'd ever seen? Apart from the fact he didn't cost £20m, €4m went straight to his dad Roger and the fact he's actually rather good, it wasn't a bad comment. He has since changed his tune but that doesn't do much to rebuild his credibility in some people's eyes.