Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

walter sobchak

Sonny Bill Williams (Merged threads)

168 posts in this topic

That's a mute point, he would still have walked into the NZ squad and would have been an asset marketing the World Cup

I don't disagree but he's gone and that's that.

The saddest thing though for me is this just highlights how small and irrelevant our World Cup still is and how much of a challenge there is to gain recognition let alone credibility on the international stage, when one of the world's best players isn't bothered about playing in it.

I have no idea how you make that connection.  This is the second time he's left league.  He's only been back a couple of seasons hasn't he?  He goes where he can make most money and love himself most.

At least with him gone our Burgess boys should be able to hog the limelight!

That's a mute point, he would still have walked into the NZ squad and would have been an asset marketing the World Cup

I think it speaks loud and clear. ;)

I have no idea how you make that connection.  This is the second time he's left league.  He's only been back a couple of seasons hasn't he?  He goes where he can make most money and love himself most.

At least with him gone our Burgess boys should be able to hog the limelight!

2013 was his first season back playing RL.

If SBW was motivated purely by money surely he would have stayed at Toulon, although episodes such as his short stint in Japan, suggest he's not averse to a quick buck.

He hasn't got many years left as a player now, so it will be interesting to see where he jumps.

Larry I agree with you, we're league fans and like most of us I'm sure I can't understand why anyone would watch that sport ahead of ours, that's a whole other conversation, but just because you or I don't like watching it, or playing it, doesn't mean SBW doesn't, it gave him the chance to travel, play in France and for various other teams, and probably the greatest attraction for him, he played for NZ in the 2011 World Cup. As we sadly know unions international set up is far better than our own, so if that's part of his reason then again I don't blame him.

As we sadly know unions international set up is far better than our own, so if that's part of his reason then again I don't blame him.

It's not better. It's better funded. Try watching it, it's gash. I'd much rather watch an u11s league game than that rubbish.

If he wants to go play union then so be it, as good a player as he is i don't think it will be that much of a loss to the game. Personally i don' think many countries in RL put that much emphasis on the honour of playing for your country. So its hardly surprising when players act like this and don't seem that bothered.

Don't think he is available unless he has changed his mind in the last 8hours.

Sonny Bill Williams @SonnyBWilliams 8h

Wishing the kiwis all the best in their title defence, having my first break since 2008. Looking forward to spending time with fam n friends.

The reports are that he has changed his mind

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/sonny-bill-williams-declares-himself-available-for-new-zealand-kiwis-world-cup-squad-20131008-2v65p.html?rand=1381217067297

I said the set up was better, not the actual game itself. You can't let your hatred of rugby union cloud your judgement of what a professional sportsman wants to do with his career

I won't miss him.

The Kiwis might miss him.

The marketing bods will definitely miss him.

Agreed awesome news if true. According to The Dominion if he doesn't play for NZ they are even suggesting he will boost Samoa because he is finding it 'hard to leave' league apparently!

God, I hope so. Bad for the Kangaroos, but man, what a boost for the tournament and obviously the Kiwis. Just reading that has got me excited. Please happen.

I thought he had said on twitter he wasn't going to play for NZ in the WC?

He has changed his mind?

A superb athlete who will really light up the tournament blah blah blah ;)

This will be a wonderful boost to the tournament if he does play.

I completely agree. The RLWC needs the biggest names available. He is a great player and it would be fantastic to see him play.

So which unfortunate player would be getting bayonted only to be told 24hrs later they were back in when he changes is mind again.

Surely the decent thing is to throw his hat in with Samoa since they don't seem to have finalised their squad yet.

While it might be box office news in NRL land, I don't think it'll have more than a marginal impact over here. We're doing pretty well in any event.

I think it's wrong that we should be absurdly grateful to someone possibly "deigning" to play in our World Cup.

Personally I'd like him to play and I don't mind who he plays for ...well as long as it's not Australia.

If he ever felt anything for RL and wanted to do something for the game that he started out in then playing in this tournament would have been that gesture.

I'd happily see him off to do whatever we wanted after that.