Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Futtocks

EDL Leaders quit

67 posts in this topic

Robinson and Carroll quit. Apparently, they've only just noticed that their followers are drunken boneheads who like causing trouble and intimidating brown people.

The EDL is marching in Bradford this Saturday.

Haven't heard about this. Where exactly?

They better watch out, they are starting work on the Westfield project this month. The council said so. :rolleyes:

Organisations like the EDL and BNP always have a bunch of hotheads who seek mission-creep. They exist in a series of phases, with each phase always ending in tears and bloodletting.

As I see it:

The English Defence League  started out as a campaign to make Moslems have to follow the same rules as everyone else and to subscribe to traditional British standards of social freedom. The EDL membership's basic feeling was that we were being too soft on Moslems who, as a social grouping, were taking this country for a ride. EDL Supporters included a notable proportion of people from a range of non-muslim faiths and ethnicities.

Tommy Robinson now says that, over the past year or so, the organisation has been infiltrated by groups that wish to actively discriminate against Moslems. He no longer feels able to direct its activities and policies in what he sees as the correct manner.

Presumably, during and after his spell in prison, he's had his power-base irrevocably eroded.

It's certainly true that this claimed disruption/infiltration of the EDL coincides with a contemporary major schism in the British National Party.

As I see it:

The English Defence League started out as a campaign to make Moslems have to follow the same rules as everyone else and to subscribe to traditional British standards of social freedom. The EDL membership's basic feeling was that we were being too soft on Moslems who, as a social grouping, were taking this country for a ride. EDL Supporters included a notable proportion of people from a range of non-muslim faiths and ethnicities.

Tommy Robinson now says that, over the past year or so, the organisation has been infiltrated by groups that wish to actively discriminate against Moslems. He no longer feels able to direct its activities and policies in what he sees as the correct manner.

Presumably, during and after his spell in prison, he's had his power-base irrevocably eroded.

It's certainly true that this claimed disruption/infiltration of the EDL coincides with a contemporary major schism in the British National Party.

As an aside, why is it that you consistently use the term muslim and not Muslim, when the convention in modern day Britain is the latter?

As I see it:

The English Defence League started out as a campaign to make Moslems have to follow the same rules as everyone else and to subscribe to traditional British standards of social freedom. The EDL membership's basic feeling was that we were being too soft on Moslems who, as a social grouping, were taking this country for a ride. EDL Supporters included a notable proportion of people from a range of non-muslim faiths and ethnicities.

Totally inaccurate. EDL was ALWAYS well populated by known fascists. Yaxley Lennon is himself a former member of the BNP. Many of the EDLs regional organisers are still active fascists.

Please stop using the term "muslim". It is simply.wrong.

The English Defence League  started out as a campaign to make Moslems have to follow the same rules as everyone else and to subscribe to traditional British standards of social freedom.

The mission creep seems to me that they started out as a racist drinking and fighting club and then accidentally stumbled on a specific cause to hurl cans at.

I just briefly heard Tommy Robinson (ex of the EDL) on the wireless.  I suspect that he must have already aroused the interest of the English Language Defence League.

Tommy Robinson was asked about previous comments he made at EDL rallies announcing his hatred for all things Islam.

"It's no good dwelling on the past" he replied.

If he really thinks that then perhaps we won't get any more of these cr ap tv programmes where he goes round with a JCB digging up people's nicely lawned gardens looking for rotting artefacts and claiming they're summat exciting.

Does racism exist outside the EDL and can you be a racist and be non white in the UK ?

Does racism exist outside the EDL and can you be a racist and be non white in the UK ?

of course it does

of course you can.

racism is a long time discussion topic on this forum including the aspects of it that you raise: almost entirely in an articulate and informed way. In all the years that this topic has been discussed from a wide range of perspectives and specific subject matters and nobody from whatever viewpoint on this topic that any posters come from would be as ignorant to have the ideas you suggest.. The two scenarios you raise are ridiculous and in my view disingenuous

Tommy Robinson was asked about previous comments he made at EDL rallies announcing his hatred for all things Islam.

"It's no good dwelling on the past" he replied.

If he really thinks that then perhaps we won't get any more of these cr ap tv programmes where he goes round with a JCB digging up people's nicely lawned gardens looking for rotting artefacts and claiming they're summat exciting.

Boom.

I await a Boo Radley reference.

Well I'm awake and it is a beautiful morning.

English Defence League leader and founder Tommy Robinson has left the group, saying he has concerns over the "dangers of far-right extremism".

So, someone on the extreme far-right creates an extreme, far-right 'street organisation' and then becomes worried about the dangers of far-right extremism.

You do have to wonder sometimes.

So, someone on the extreme far-right creates an extreme, far-right 'street organisation' and then becomes worried about the dangers of far-right extremism.

You do have to wonder sometimes.

Listening to him and how he's now linked up with former Muslim extremists does make me think that his time in jail has given him time to reflect on what was wrong with his previous message.  Here's a controversial thought for many: what if our justice system does work occasionally?

As with other people with criminal pasts, he does deserve a chance to show that he's rehabilitated.

Boom.

Given that there were mentions of Mission creep, I was awaiting a Wayne Hussey reference (one for the teenagers, there).

There's a difference between being: -

- A Pressure Group: holding a public protest meeting to draw attention to problems posed by certain muslim social groups

and

- A Racist Sect: actually initiating violence against individual Moslems, mosques etc.

The EDL grew out of a perceived lack of action by the authorities to administer appropriate control measures by exercising existing laws, and to draw attention to institutional pro-muslim bias.

As far as I (and most of my friends and neighbours) can see, nothing has been done to address these issues in Bradford. I can't imagine that Bradford is unique in this aspect.

I would guess that the EDL, or a successor movement, will be resurrected as a pressure group to draw attention to the continued inequitable application of the law and the unwillingness of the government and local authorities to sub-divide into social groupings the reports that they release.

For example:

Last week, the Government released a report that stated 32% of Bradford 11-year-olds weren't achieving national standards in literacy.

The Bradford Telegraph and Argus report and the council's reponse left it at that, and said we must try improved teaching methods.

However, the Yorkshire Post reported that some Bradford schools were producing 11 year-olds where 60% weren't achieving the standard.

Rightly or wrongly, I suspect that: -

- those "60% failing" schools are all in muslim areas

- a lot of the children who are failing start school without being able to speak much, if any English 

- most of the muslim children attending these schools were born in this country to homes where at least one parent was born in this country

- if one of those "60% failing" schools was in a mixed-ethnicity catchment area, the government would have Ofsted down on it like a ton of bricks.

- we are not doing those "60% failing" kids any favours by failing to deal with the matter head on with the muslim community and individual parents.

Of course, I may be totally wrong in my assumption, but: -

- Bradford Council will never release figures in a manner that such suspicions could be substantiated or rebuffed.

- The Bradford T&A will continue to remain selective about which articles are made open to readers' comments.

- The majority of non-muslim citizens will once again seethe about our great city being portrayed as one big sink estate.

Incidentally, I am not, and never have been, involved in any way with the EDL, BNP or any associated organisation.