Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Larry the Leit

Who'd have thought it?

37 posts in this topic

A necessary learning curve for her personally and Gove. Their positions vis a vis the teaching profession are identical.

A necessary learning curve for her personally and Gove. Their positions vis a vis the teaching profession are identical.

This was completely unnecessary.

This was completely unnecessary.

^ this

Free schools are a disaster.

And only going to get worse as the numbers grow and the idiocy of both the idea and the people running them comes to light. In the short time since they've come on board we've seen this woman, we've seen a Muslim Free School accused of mistreating female staff, and various other stories emerge. Apart from the fact that they suck precious resources out of the education budget, they've also massively overspent - money that has been taken from other schools to make up the shortfall.

Can anyone remind me what Labour's position on this is? They should abolish them all immediately upon entering government (if they ever get back in).

The report from the OECD the other day, that branded our 16-24 years olds as borderline tree stumps, suggests the "normal" schools arent much cop either.

And only going to get worse as the numbers grow and the idiocy of both the idea and the people running them comes to light. In the short time since they've come on board we've seen this woman, we've seen a Muslim Free School accused of mistreating female staff, and various other stories emerge. Apart from the fact that they suck precious resources out of the education budget, they've also massively overspent - money that has been taken from other schools to make up the shortfall.

Can anyone remind me what Labour's position on this is? They should abolish them all immediately upon entering government (if they ever get back in).

They fully support them, and academies. Especially academies set up by donors, the Aldridge academy for instance.

The report from the OECD the other day, that branded our 16-24 years olds as borderline tree stumps, suggests the "normal" schools arent much cop either.

Then that report is BS.

Why?

A report can be made to say whatever it is they want it to say and i never believe any of them about anything. To suggest that the majority of 16-24 year olds are thick, is not only insulting it's wrong. Do you know any? Spoke to any lately? I suppose everyone was Einstein when you were that age but they certainly weren't in mine. 

There have always been many people with no intelligence, it isn't a generational thing.

A report can be made to say whatever it is they want it to say and i never believe any of them about anything. To suggest that the majority of 16-24 year olds are thick, is not only insulting it's wrong. Do you know any? Spoke to any lately? I suppose everyone was Einstein when you were that age but they certainly weren't in mine. 

There have always been many people with no intelligence, it isn't a generational thing.

But you believe it when people say "free schools are ######"?

I'm doing a part time Chemistry degree, last year for some reason, we had a maths refresher class, one of the questions was something like 44 x 37, the girl sat next to me tried to solve it by doing (40 x 30) + (4 x 7), this was a first year Chemistry degree student.

This report isn't from the Tories, Labour or Lib Dems.

Facts are facts.

People who set up schools on a whim are unlikely to be good at running schools.

What

I'm doing a part time Chemistry degree, last year for some reason, we had a maths refresher class, one of the questions was something like 44 x 37, the girl sat next to me tried to solve it by doing (40 x 30) + (4 x 7), this was a first year Chemistry degree student.

I believe they are a bad idea to begin with. The instances I know of don't make me feel any different.

I agree that basic standards amongst some people have fallen but don't tar a whole generation.

I'm doing a part time Chemistry degree, last year for some reason, we had a maths refresher class, one of the questions was something like 44 x 37, the girl sat next to me tried to solve it by doing (40 x 30) + (4 x 7), this was a first year Chemistry degree student.

Where are you doing it though?

I'm doing a part time Chemistry degree, last year for some reason, we had a maths refresher class, one of the questions was something like 44 x 37, the girl sat next to me tried to solve it by doing (40 x 30) + (4 x 7), this was a first year Chemistry degree student.

How did she pass A-level chemistry?

Read it. 

http://www.oecd.org/pisa/46624007.pdf

No journalist will.  British media only does bad news.

Yet you assume we can all see this method of working out is silly.  In other words you assume the average reader of this forum is fairly numberate, showing that you do not think things are all that bad.

Actually there has always been very few people with no intelligence but plenty with bad education.

Actually there has always been very few people with no intelligence but plenty with bad education.

There has definitely been a lot of people with little intelligence. But there was always big factories where they could get jobs pressing buttons. Most of those factories and buttons are now gone.

There has definitely been a lot of people with little intelligence. But there was always big factories where they could get jobs pressing buttons. Most of those factories and buttons are now gone.

Are you really saying that people who work(ed) in factories lack intelligence? That someones class/socio-economic status is related to their intelligence?

Are you really saying that people who work(ed) in factories lack intelligence? That someones class/socio-economic status is related to their intelligence?

I think he is saying that some folk who worked in factories lack intelligence.

Now everybody knows that intelligence isn't solely about socio-economic status or vice versa but to say that there is no relationship is OTT.

How do you arrive at that? I work (or did) in a factory.

I am pointing out that there have always been a large number of people with not much intelligence. Not thick just not very bright.

What happened to them was not a concern for the authorities because they could gain decent employment in a large factory doing straightforward button pushing jobs. Those jobs aren't really there now for unskilled people so there is an issue what these people can do. So we have people highlighting it as though it is a new phenomena to have not very bright people.

The report said nothing like that. What it did suggest that there was a disparity between schools in pooer socio-econic areas compared to the more advantaged communities. Also the performance between densely populated communities was and the suburan and rural communities was significant. When the socio-economic factors were removed state and privately run schools seemed to have roughly the same performance.