Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paul Ballantyne

Anthony murray named as new coach..

40 posts in this topic

lets move forward now...welcome aboard Mr Murray... :drinks:

| PRESS RELEASE |

After just over a month of waiting and lots of speculation from press and fans alike Barrow Raiders are very pleased to announce their new coach for the 2014 as ANTHONY MURRAY.

A relatively young coach, but with a wealth of experience both playing and coaching at many levels.

Anthony started his professional playing career in 1997 at Warrington moving on in the same year to Widnes, playing at stand off and hooker. His professional clubs include Leigh, Rochdale, Swinton, Oldham, Chorley Lynx, Workington and had a season at Craven Park from 2000-01. He scored an impressive 11 tries in his spell with Barrow.

In 2004 Murray started his coaching career at Leigh East and more recently East Lancashire Lions. Murray boasts an international coaching pedigree being the current coach of the Scotland A side with former Barrow coach Steve McCormack.

Andrew Gaffney Director Of Rugby said ' Anthony was a professional player at many top clubs and had a distinguished career under a selection of top quality coaches. In 2008 he became player coach at Eccles till 2010 and between that time coached NCL eagles touring France. Since then Anthony has coached Millom till present. He is now also working with Steve McCormack coaching the Scotland team.'

Gaffney went on to say, “Anthony was one of the first of 8 potential coaches to be interviewed and stood out immediately.”

'We are delighted with the appointment of Anthony and now look forward to building the squad with Anthony utilising his many contacts in the Rugby world'

A wealth of playing experience, once voted National Conference League Player of The Year, and a young, vibrant, enthusiastic coach. The club have the upmost confidence in Anthony that he can take the club where we need to go.

BARROW RAIDERS

Gonna give him a chance before I start criticising people, he's local which is good so hopefully bring few decent locals in! Good luck to him

Gonna give him a chance before I start criticising people, he's local which is good so hopefully bring few decent locals in! Good luck to him

If Wigan is local then yeh

Now that the appointment has been made and the dust has settled we all really need to get behind Anthony and the club in what is going to be a really difficult campaign.The last thing we need is fans criticising the new coach before he has even started.

The most important thing now is to strengthen the squad with some quality signings to compliment the players that have already re-signed.

Good luck Anthony, let's hope you can make a success of it. So called big name coaches aren't always needed, here's hoping there's a bit of money available to assemble a quality squad now. I would say another 17 players need to be signed up now to be competitive next season.

If Wigan is local then yeh

Hmm, he could give a lift to Andy Ballard if we signed him?

If we cant get a local fullback Jonny Youds from Leigh Miners is deffo worth a look ... excellent fullback and a goalkicker/tactical kicker to boot (pardon the pun)

Jonny youds had a go at haven a couple of years back didnt work out for him and he had a few games to impress had a go at fullback wing and centre

i know millom were very keen to sign james gordon on when he left the raiders so perhaps murray may have another look at him.

chris warren is another name who murray likes and rates very highly. i believe chris can play wing or fullback.

i imagine there will be a couple of other millom lads that murray may think are worth a shot.

If you're offering the same money to players as the staggeringly low amount you were offering to prospective coaching appointments - little more than travelling expenses in fact, then you'll struggle to attract any new recruits.