Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RAIDERSRUS

England v Italy

Sinfield has to play.. being picked at 7, it will be interesting to see whether he plays at 1 with Rangi at 2 both sides of the ruck or whether they'll split.

Re a kicking game, what is Mcllorum like from dummy half?

More importantly... is on box anywhere? Premier confirmed anything yet?

Premier can't show something they don't hold the rights to, end of story really.

Just noticed that 3 of the back 4 will be playing for Leeds next season (admittedly, one will be in the pack)

I really hope this doesn't mean Steve is planning to start Briscoe instead of Charnley...

It's a warm-up match. I'm sure all the subs will get a decent amount of game time, but McNamara will want to try alternatives in case of injuries/suspensions during the RWC proper.

Went to the stadium and got tickets for me and my eldest lad to go. It's his first international, so he's well fired up for it. I offered him Rochdale v Fiji and, my preferred choice, Spring View v Heysham Atoms, but he wanted the England game!

However, it was my first visit to the stadium this lunchtime and it looks like an absolute nightmare. Building work everywhere, roadworks, traffic lights etc, and it feels really soul-less outside. I really hope they've improved it by the time the Scotland v USA comes 'round in three weeks time. At least I'm on public transport that night.

Personally I think this fixture should have been at Loughborough - let England have it at a venue in camp, filling a 3,000 capacity ground to breaking point.

It's a warm-up match. I'm sure all the subs will get a decent amount of game time, but McNamara will want to try alternatives in case of injuries/suspensions during the RWC proper.

Whilst Charnley is the better try scorer, i think that Briscoe offers more from dummy half.

How we get out of our own half will be key in how we perform.

Whilst Charnley is the better try scorer, i think that Briscoe offers more from dummy half.

Well seeing as they won't be spending much time at dummy half I don't really see the relevance of that...

At this moment in time Briscoe isn't a patch on Charnley. In the opening match Charnley should be starting.

I wouldn't be surprised or upset to see Brsicoe on the wing against the Aussies. He's a terrific player. As is Josh. Josh was less than impressive in the Grand Final, though as a body of work his play off series was superb.

Well seeing as they won't be spending much time at dummy half I don't really see the relevance of that...

Erm....

Nah. I can't be bothered.

Carry on

On the negative though, Briscoe is nowhere near the finisher that Charnley is.

We need players that if given half a chance they will go, and I'm not sure that is Briscoe. Good player, but I'd pick Charnley over him, and expect to see him on the wing in Cardiff.

On the negative though, Briscoe is nowhere near the finisher that Charnley is.

We need players that if given half a chance they will go, and I'm not sure that is Briscoe. Good player, but I'd pick Charnley over him, and expect to see him on the wing in Cardiff.

I agree.

I also think it's important for a centre-wing partnership to develop, especially defensively.

Taking that theme... yes i would have liked to see Charnley at 2 to work on that partnership with Cudjoe at 3, but it seems as though Briscoe is ahead at this moment...

Ablett is at first a surprise pick at 4.. i'm guessing 4 to Hall's 5 here. However, on reflection he teams up with a winger he knows and will be defensively sound against Inglis who i presume will play 3 to accommodate Jennings who plays at 4 for the Roosters.

Interesting.

Ablett at Centre- Computer says NO!! Inglis will go past him without a passing glance. He's had a great season and would be on my bench for the 1st test....but a starting Ctr he is not!

So who in your opinion can stop Inglis( genuine question,not because I support Leeds) 

Cudjoe is Not a try scoring centre think e only scored no more then 5 trys this season , v poor for a international centre in a Side that topped the league. Goulding better

Cudjoe is Not a try scoring centre think e only scored no more then 5 trys this season , v poor for a international centre in a Side that topped the league. Goulding better

So why would you pick someone who has played 1 all year?

Reasons man, reasons!

I can not understand why a Club second rower can be considered a Test Centre.

We used to hear this about Gareth Ellis.

One of the best backs in the World would relish his chances against a stop gap centre I would have thought.

So why would you pick someone who has played 1 all year?

Reasons man, reasons!

Gives an assessment of options.   Let say Cudjoe is no picked for a particular game but Zak plays full back because Tomkins has an injury.   Then the centre's chosen get injured ... best to know if moving Zak to centre is an option, assuming you have somebody that can step back....

Well a bit complicated,,, but key point is that your testing options so you know if its a small or bigger risk for some period in a game given you have a limit to size of squad scenario....

Personally I think we should be looking for an attacking team. We can adjust our defensive lineup if we have real concerns around Watkins - but I would rather have him at centre than Ablett - why not try and worry the Aussies rather than contain them.

Of course I know that we need to be able to defend as well, but we can't build our whole team round stopping one or two players.