Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RAIDERSRUS

England v Italy

Hardaker n watkins best centres we have

When Hardaker has played at centre for Leeds he's been terrible,poor positioning,unable or unwilling to release his winger when given the opportunity,poor defense.He definitely isn't a centre.

When Hardaker has played at centre for Leeds he's been terrible,poor positioning,unable or unwilling to release his winger when given the opportunity,poor defense.He definitely isn't a centre.

He was terrible in defence at centre against the Exiles too IIRC.

Personally I think we should be looking for an attacking team. We can adjust our defensive lineup if we have real concerns around Watkins - but I would rather have him at centre than Ablett - why not try and worry the Aussies rather than contain them.

Of course I know that we need to be able to defend as well, but we can't build our whole team round stopping one or two players.

Nail on head!

Give McNamara some credit FFS. He will have all the Aussie players, Tim Sheens and the coaching staff watching this game and analyzing it in the week. There has to be a case of giving people a run and holding your cards close to your chest.

By starting with Briscoe he is saying to the Aussies watch his game and look for his defensive weaknesses, the spotlight is off Charnley. Exactly the same with Roby, Watkins and one or two others. They will all get a run out but only the coaching staff will know how the 'run out' is being used.

Roby, Charnley, Watkins will all be starters for sure. I don't think McIllorum will even play but it if the Aussies think he is there for the tough stuff at the start then it is job done. People just make too much of this thing. It is not a test match and both squads will be giving 20 players a run out.

Give McNamara some credit FFS. He will have all the Aussie players, Tim Sheens and the coaching staff watching this game and analyzing it in the week. There has to be a case of giving people a run and holding your cards close to your chest.

By starting with Briscoe he is saying to the Aussies watch his game and look for his defensive weaknesses, the spotlight is off Charnley. Exactly the same with Roby, Watkins and one or two others. They will all get a run out but only the coaching staff will know how the 'run out' is being used.

Roby, Charnley, Watkins will all be starters for sure. I don't think McIllorum will even play but it if the Aussies think he is there for the tough stuff at the start then it is job done. People just make too much of this thing. It is not a test match and both squads will be giving 20 players a run out.

Surely the Aussies be able to work that out too then? I mean they are professionals after all..

I wonder whether McIllorum might be a decent option. In the finals he has played his opposite numbers have been completely nullified, and that includes some very talented - including Wire's 2, Houghton, KC and Roby. I know he's very unpopular but you could make a case for him starting against the Aussies, as the one thing we don't want to be doing is chasing the game. Of course, I'd not be crying blue murder if he decides not to play him at all, but I think he has a chance.

I wonder whether McIllorum might be a decent option. In the finals he has played his opposite numbers have been completely nullified, and that includes some very talented - including Wire's 2, Houghton, KC and Roby. I know he's very unpopular but you could make a case for him starting against the Aussies, as the one thing we don't want to be doing is chasing the game. Of course, I'd not be crying blue murder if he decides not to play him at all, but I think he has a chance.

Like I've said before wasn't his biggest fan but these last 2 years he's stepped a real leader on the park, defensively very good and has that grunt and mongrel about him that we need against the Aussies bit like Newton who the Aussies feared to a degree.

Surely the Aussies be able to work that out too then? I mean they are professionals after all..

But only McNamara will know what his plans are and the Aussies, know matter how they spin it, will be using educated guess work.