Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thirteenthman

Samoans backed by Government - with conditions...

35 posts in this topic

The Samoan team at the WC are being backed by the Samoan Government, but this comes with conditions:-

http://www.samoaobserver.ws/other/sports-affairs/7480-sifa-splashes-650000-on-toa

We’ve also given [the team] our advice that if they embarrass us again, this is the last tournament the government will assist with. We will stop it.

Also, there's some interesting views on RL by the Samoan PM-

Speaking about Toa Samoa’s preparations, the Prime Minister is confident the team would do well; pointing out that league doesn't involve too many technical drills like scrums and line-outs. He said all rugby league players need to do is pick up the ball, run hard at the opponent and sidestep.

How were they embarrassed last time?

How were they embarrassed last time?

They finished bottom of their group when they were tipped to finish top.

The Samoan government have a history of taking the ###### out of RL. A couple of years ago Samoa were supposed to tour the UK and France, it was all planned until the government decided to pull out of funding it and gave the money to Union.

Samoa has a total population of 177, 714. 28.3 % of the Samoa population is under 15 years of age and 6.3% above 65 years of age. 

The Samoan government have a history of taking the ###### out of RL. A couple of years ago Samoa were supposed to tour the UK and France, it was all planned until the government decided to pull out of funding it and gave the money to Union.

Hard to get detailed information, but Samoa have always seemed to me to be the least open-minded of the Pacific nations when it comes to RL.

The issue with the Pacific island Nations is most are extremely poor and rely on aid or royalties to get by.

The cities are pretty well just small towns that are in part shanties, many live in traditional Villages that have not changed much over time.

Much is expected from them that is unrealistic and without the Islanders that have migrated to Oz and NZ and been brought up, developed or born in those countries they would not really be on the RL  (or Union) map.

Samoa has a total population of 177, 714. 28.3 % of the Samoa population is under 15 years of age and 6.3% above 65 years of age. 

What's more relevant is how many people are qualified to play for Samoa.  How many live in Samoa is neither here nor there.

Understanding Samoa may help understand what happens there.  With a population just ./2 that of Wigan MBC, things in Samo might not be what we think  they are.  No need to reply to this post if you don't find it interesting or relevant.

Understanding Samoa may help understand what happens there.  With a population just ./2 that of Wigan MBC, things in Samo might not be what we think  they are.  No need to reply to this post if you don't find it interesting or relevant.

My point was that, from what I have been able to glean from the various local news outlets, Tonga and especially Fiji have been a lot more welcoming to our sport, as far as lightly-populated Pacific islands go.

But as you say, unless you take the time to find out in depth what things are like down there, this may just be a misconception. But the Prime Minister's comment was prime Inverdale material.

Roy's "lost", apparently. Odd.

He was supposedly struggling with an arm injury according to reports the other day and was a doubt. Strange Parish didn't actually say he was injured though.

He was supposedly struggling with an arm injury according to reports the other day and was a doubt. Strange Parish didn't actually say he was injured though.

I found something on FaceBook, saying he and John Sutton had been carrying injuries and needed a full off-season recovery programme.

If, as we are lead to believe, the RLWC makes a large profit, money should be channelled into developing Rugby League in the islands  IMO.

When the NRL got its billion dollar TV deal there were sound bites about developing talent in the South Pacific.  I've heard nothing about this since. Having visited Fiji a few years back and seen kids playing both RL and RU, I would say the untapped talent in the region is enormous.

Apparently (in 2006) 39,992 people living in Australia claim Samoan ancestry. 15,244 of them being born in Samoa.

To be honest, I thought it'd be more!

If, as we are lead to believe, the RLWC makes a large profit, money should be channelled into developing Rugby League in the islands  IMO.

When the NRL got its billion dollar TV deal there were sound bites about developing talent in the South Pacific.  I've heard nothing about this since. Having visited Fiji a few years back and seen kids playing both RL and RU, I would say the untapped talent in the region is enormous.

I think it would be better used to develop northern hemispere rugbyleague

I think it would be better used to develop northern hemispere rugbyleague

I'm not saying give them all the money, just a fair sized crack of the whip. 

If RL is to grow, the international game has to grow.  In my opinion it would take less money for the likes of Samoa, Tonga, Fiji and PNG to be brought nearer to the standard set by Australia, NZ and England than it would Ireland, Scotland & Wales.

So if players in an R/L game only have to perform those elements described by Samoa's PM, what does he imagine that those playing onion have to do to score when running the ball, or is he like so many onionista's, content with a downpour of penalty goals to decide the outcome of games, doesn't require much thinking about does it? 

Sorry, I completely forgot that Onion is an intellectual game played by those that are also inevitably; intellectual.

I'm not saying give them all the money, just a fair sized crack of the whip.

If RL is to grow, the international game has to grow. In my opinion it would take less money for the likes of Samoa, Tonga, Fiji and PNG to be brought nearer to the standard set by Australia, NZ and England than it would Ireland, Scotland & Wales.

Surely since there are significant populations of Pacific Islanders living in Sydney itself, and nearly all of the Tongan/Samoan/Cooks/Fijian squads are NRL based, it'd make sense for them to play internationals in Sydney during the NRL season and use money made from that to develop the game there?

Surely since there are significant populations of Pacific Islanders living in Sydney itself, and nearly all of the Tongan/Samoan/Cooks/Fijian squads are NRL based, it'd make sense for them to play internationals in Sydney during the NRL season and use money made from that to develop the game there?

In 2001 the Samoan population in NZ was 115,000.  It has grown considerably since.  There are more Samoans living in Auckland than in any town or city in Samoa itself.

For many years Samoan RU has held trials for its international teams in NZ - which has always made snide remarks about heritage players in Samoan RL teams a bit annoying.

No problem with the first bit - why should governments fund teams (please note, I said teams, not sports, before anyone works themselves into a froth) that don't perform to something like their potential in these sort of events? It's only the same as the way funding works over here, it's just that the Samoans have been a bit more blunt about it!

I can't imagine the Samoans have got the largest funding pot to begin with, so why not be open about this sort of stuff? They expect some sort of return on the money they're spending, which could, and probably should, be used for something more worthwhile in the grand scheme of things.

As for the second bit, it's actually pretty ironic - for years Samoa (and the other Pacific Nations) have been known in rugby union for being good at the running and hitting hard bit, but lacking in the technical departments, so quite why he feels he can get sniffy about stuff like that is beyond me.