Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

XIII

DW Fitness

27 posts in this topic

I don't want people to take this the wrong way, but why are dw out of order? if he has a contract he needs to fulfil it. I feel for him, having been in Avery very similar position myself, but it's the way it is

Great player Rob Massam

Not really "sickening" but a disappointing position to be in

Hope he doesn't miss out or lose out.

I just wouldn't think it would cause DW fitness too much of hardship to say since you are not working and it's for a real cause you don't have to pay to be here. Most companies normally try and help out an employee doing something like this, not penalise them financially.

I just wouldn't think it would cause DW fitness too much of hardship to say since you are not working and it's for a real cause you don't have to pay to be here. Most companies normally try and help out an employee doing something like this, not penalise them financially.

It sounds like he is self employed and renting from DW. Why should DW fund his dream?

It sounds like he is self employed and renting from DW. Why should DW fund his dream?

They shouldn't.  But they still could. 

I've pledged.  Hopefully others will and he will have enough money to play for his country.

Whilst I don't think less of a company for not contributing as any is entitles to give or not give, I just think to still charge him given the circumstances is harsh and deserves highlighting.

They shouldn't.  But they still could. 

I've pledged.  Hopefully others will and he will have enough money to play for his country.

Of course they could, but what would they get for that? Maybe fund raising could have been done in advance?

Whilst I don't think less of a company for not contributing as any is entitles to give or not give, I just think to still charge him given the circumstances is harsh and deserves highlighting.

I still pay my bank my mortgage even if I am away on holiday for the month.

I have some sympathy but surely the Wales team will be getting paid for this tournament?

Of course they could, but what would they get for that? Maybe fund raising could have been done in advance?

I think he's been a late call up?  I might have got that wrong though.  Either way, he wouldn't have been sure of a spot in the squad until relatively recently and so I would imagine speculative fundraising would have been difficult to pull off.

I have some sympathy but surely the Wales team will be getting paid for this tournament?

You would think so but part-timers still have jobs to do whether they are getting paid or not.  I would guess that those who are employed have sympathetic employers as they could be out of work for six weeks but he is self employed so that's a different kettle of fish.

I think he's been a late call up?  I might have got that wrong though.  Either way, he wouldn't have been sure of a spot in the squad until relatively recently and so I would imagine speculative fundraising would have been difficult to pull off.

That's fair enough and I did think that when I was typing it tbh.

Personally I wish the bloke good luck, but I won't be contributing to his monthly personal bills.

You would think so but part-timers still have jobs to do whether they are getting paid or not.  I would guess that those who are employed have sympathetic employers as they could be out of work for six weeks but he is self employed so that's a different kettle of fish.

My point is that as he is self employed he will lose money - surely he will be earning money playing for Wales? This may be slightly less than he could earn as a personal trainer, but surely he won't lose all of his income for two months?

I don't want people to take this the wrong way, but why are dw out of order? if he has a contract he needs to fulfil it. I feel for him, having been in Avery very similar position myself, but it's the way it is

I guess like you, he will have to weigh things up.

I don't see it as a disgrace, why should DW lose income that they've budgeted for and have a contractual right to?  Having said that, if Dave Whelan still owns the brand then I'm firmly of the view that they should lose money :-) 

I guess like you, he will have to weigh things up.

I don't see it as a disgrace, why should DW lose income that they've budgeted for and have a contractual right to?  Having said that, if Dave Whelan still owns the brand then I'm firmly of the view that they should lose money :-) 

Yes - I would have thought they could have had some kind of player sponsorship deal tbh which could have turned into a real positive for the Wrexham DW branch.

You can't go willy-nilly breaking contract terms and conditions.  Precedentt etc. plus at the next finance meeting:   "You've given how much away?"   No. ..I think the Crusaders crowdfunding idea is the right way to do it. Maybe use kickstarter, which is global.

Not charging is the same as giving.  Clearly, you do think less of DW for not contributing.

There'll be many other people outside the world of sport in similar contract positions.  I've been there myself.  Nobody helped me - nor did I expect them to do so.

His situation is no different to the other part-time players who are in the competition, who are having to take holidays/unpaid leave from their jobs outside of RL in order to take part. Are we going to have a whip round for all of those players too ?

It's pretty poor that NRL-based WC players are getting up to AUD$70k for appearing in the tournament, yet non-NRL players are getting nothing. I know it's all to do with the NRL collective bargaining agreement, but surely some of the wealth should be spread more evenly.

DW could quite easily have got £1000 worth of good publicity and good will out of this.

DW could quite easily have got £1000 worth of good publicity and good will out of this.

Whelan, if asked to comment, would just have mentioned that he once broke his leg.

Rob is one of lifes good guys.  He hasn't asked for any help but the North Wales Crusaders became aware of his personal situation and started the campaign to help him financially.  There has been no suggestion from the club that DW Fitness should assist in anyway but fans have picked up that as a self-employed personal trainer he wont just be losing his normal income he also has to pay out his rental fees to DW Fitness even though he wont be using their facilities while he is playing for Wales.  As far as I am aware he wont receive any money for playing for Wales.

As others have pointed out DW Fitness could get a lot of good publicity in supporting a young man to realise his ambition of playing for his country in the World Cup.

if a player doesnt receive any money for being in camp full time for two months playing for his country in the world cup then we should stop with this pretence we can afford to stage a tournament like this.

I simply cannot believe the Wales team will not be paid for two months work.

Ive reda this story and good luck to the lad. Semi pro's have to make plenty of sacrifices in RL for not great rewards.

However, I can't find anything 'sickening' or 'disgusting' about this situation (OP's words).

I agree with Dave T, surely he should be paid something by Wales?