Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Larry the Leit

Hinkley Point

50 posts in this topic

So there's going to be a new Nuclear Power station in Somerset.  A couple of things that stand out for me are:

1. It's going to be largely owned by the Chinese and French state.

2. The Guaranteed price per unit of electricity is 77% above today's price.

EDF are looking at making a 10% return which must be like Christmas everyday for them and the French taxpayer.  The question is that if this government is so clearly against state investment and involvement how come it is happy to have the state investment from two other states?

bloke on radio 4 just now mentioned its only govs that do this sort of stuff and we will have some form of gov investment. It'll be on iplayer in a bit.

Either the taxpayer pays, as now with the huge cost of nuclear decommissioning, or the consumer pays, as now with the rising cost of fuel, or the pesky furriners pay...or all three. 

One thing is sure, we are about to enter a new phase of political posturing, ill-informed criticism and debate, and late and over budget delivery of projects.

Meanwhile, the cost of energy will continue its relentless rise...the only realistic way that consumption will decrease. 

Radio 5 just now. Apparently we could have built our own but ex dear leader flogged off our capability. BNFL ? Westinghausen? Or something.

Nuclear good.  EDF iffy (10 years late on average with delivering them in Finland and France).  Technology 'old'.  Cost looks expensive.

So one step forward, two back?

flogged off our capability

Incapability is maybe a better description, though. Always(very)  late. always (very) over budget, always the taxpayer paying.....

It's shameful political posturing that has happened from both Tories and Labour since the 80s.  The UK has needed a national power strategy for decades yet neither government wants to invest in it as the delivery is likely to come when their opponents are in power.  Far better to say you're fixing something now, much like hospital PFI schemes, then let the next government pick up the over-inflated bill for it when it finally delivers.  Why would Cameron, Clegg and co care about what happens 10 years from now when the power generation from these reactors kicks in, they'll be long gone as a political force.

Take, for example, if Labour had decided back in 2005 to seriously consider investing in nuclear power plants, rather than wasting £10bn on ID cards from 2005-2010, then we'd be looking at the first of 5 new nuclear plants due to come online in a couple of years and, what's better, we'd own the things that we could then lease to power companies.  If Major had decided in 1995 to do the same then we'd be wondering what all the fuss was about on the global energy markets as we'd be able to provide our own electricity at bargain basement prices through the state owned plants already running.

I'm all for nuclear power, but a Severn Barrage would apparently have been cheaper. As it will take ten years to build the nuclear plant, the barrage plant would presumably also be quicker to come on stream.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/anger-over-decision-build-nuclear-6214900

A co-ordinated multi-source energy strategy would be even better, taking advantage of all sources.  That'd require competent political thought though.

The thought is there, I am sure. Just not the votes. And of course, it'll cost to produce clean reliable  low emission, safe,  secure energy...and it seems, we all want someone else to pay.

I really don't understand why a small town in Leicestershire has been picked as the preferred location.

Seems mad to me and very dangerous

I really don't understand why a small town in Leicestershire has been picked as the preferred location.Seems mad to me and very dangerous

It's because with global warming the sea will reach Burbage.

There's got to be a joke about the Severn Bore in there somewhere.

If this is a reference to West Country Eagle then it's bang out of order.

There's got to be a joke about the Severn Bore in there somewhere.

Any reference to Stephen Jones belongs on the Cross Code Forum.

cant we just get all the un employed to tread huge hamster wheels? also getting them fit in the process and saving on the nhs as a bonus

there are options;

1. get the taxpayer to pay, like with HS2

2. Scrap HS2 and for the same money build four new Nuclear power stations 

there are options;

1. get the taxpayer to pay, like with HS2

2. Scrap HS2 and for the same money build four new Nuclear power stations 

... in Surrey

;)B)

cant we just get all the un employed to tread huge hamster wheels? also getting them fit in the process and saving on the nhs as a bonus

Clearly this is IDS.

why are countrys such as germany decommissioning their nuclear power stations

isn't contracting a nationalised business contrary to the government's beliefs?

why are countrys such as germany decommissioning their nuclear power stations

Some would say it's a knee jerk reaction. I'm not sure.

isn't contracting a nationalised business contrary to the government's beliefs?

I'm not sure.  What makes you say it is?

Some would say it's a knee jerk reaction. I'm not sure.

I'm not sure.  What makes you say it is?

3on the part of the germans or the UK?

I was under the impression that the this government and those passim of a similar persuasion were against nationalised industries hence they have just sold the royal mail

interesting point. 

for Germany, nuclear was max 22 % of electricity generation. Fukuyama scared them with an upcoming election, probably a stronger anti nuclear lobby,  maybe a better insight to true end-of-life costs. I wonder of its anything to do with all ours being on the coast? Is that relevant?

whatever, energy prices will continue their relentless rise.

Govt. only half against state ownership as only they sold half of Royal Mail  I wish they'd privatise MPs expenses...with Michael O'leary to sign them off!

interesting point. 

for Germany, nuclear was max 22 % of electricity generation. Fukuyama scared them with an upcoming election, probably a stronger anti nuclear lobby,  maybe a better insight to true end-of-life costs. I wonder of its anything to do with all ours being on the coast? Is that relevant?

whatever, energy prices will continue their relentless rise.

Govt. only half against state ownership as only they sold half of Royal Mail  I wish they'd privatise MPs expenses...with Michael O'leary to sign them off!

does that mean that this government only half agrees with all the privatisations of previous Tory governents?

Who knows? Maybe it means the job is only 50% done.