Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave T

26/10/13: World Cup Game 1 - Australia v England

Who will win?   111 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Australia by 13 points or more
    • Australia by 7 to 12 points
    • Australia by 1 to 6 points
    • Draw
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 13 points or more

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

958 posts in this topic

Ha I know, the memory of Lee Smith (playing right centre!) being skinned by Greg Inglis at will still haunts me, and I think Tom Briscoe was subbed off at half-time with Smith moved to the wing to try and halt the flow.

I think if England can get within the 12 point handicap it will be a good result for the tournament and show that we can pose a realistic threat to winning the trophy.

Yeah, that was a really dark day with the DW (JJB then) far from full. By half-time I was ready to throw myself off a bridge. I actually think this one will be a very cagey affair in the first half. Lots of biff and completed sets. Many of the Aussies (Hayne, Thurston, Slater, Smith, Cronk, Scott, Gallen, Bird) have not played a game in anger for 5-6 weeks. They will be dusty and we need to shove it up 'em. They don't like it up 'em!! LOL

Yeah, that was a really dark day with the DW (JJB then) far from full. By half-time I was ready to throw myself off a bridge. I actually think this one will be a very cagey affair in the first half. Lots of biff and completed sets. Many of the Aussies (Hayne, Thurston, Slater, Smith, Cronk, Scott, Gallen, Bird) have not played a game in anger for 5-6 weeks. They will be dusty and we need to shove it up 'em. They don't like it up 'em!! LOL

Does anyone like it "up em" 

The Aussies have another team trying to put it  "up em" three times every year.

Its State of Origin, you would figure they are used to it by now.

As much as some people on here moan about McNamara, the squad selections chosen on this thread show how hard a job he has.  7 teams selected, 7 different selections, and all with valid and reasonable inclusions/exclusions.

No matter what team he goes with he will get it wrong in 90% of people's opinions.

As much as some people on here moan about McNamara, the squad selections chosen on this thread show how hard a job he has.  7 teams selected, 7 different selections, and all with valid and reasonable inclusions/exclusions.

No matter what team he goes with he will get it wrong in 90% of people's opinions.

He is an average Coach but a champion Scapegoat it seems.

Tomkins

Charnley

Cudjoe

Watkins

Hall

Widdop

Chase

Graham

Mcllorum/roby

Mossop

Westwood

S Burgess

O'loughlin

Roby/Mcllorum

G burgess

Hock

C Hill

Does anyone like it "up em" 

The Aussies have another team trying to put it  "up em" three times every year.

Its State of Origin, you would figure they are used to it by now.

Yeah, it also sounds like they like to sing Queensland songs after they win with the Kangaroos too :) . However, as you are new to this board (new or previously banned and are now returning under a new name) I will fill you in.

You will find that there is a collective group of TotalRLers who have suffered generations of disappointment with Eng/GB and need the "shove it up 'em cry" to help blur out the many many disappointments. I will be starting the annual 'they don't like it up 'em thread in the next 24 hours - watch it grow.

Yeah, it also sounds like they like to sing Queensland songs after they win with the Kangaroos too :) . However, as you are new to this board (new or previously banned and are now returning under a new name) I will fill you in.

You will find that there is a collective group of TotalRLers who have suffered generations of disappointment with Eng/GB and need the "shove it up 'em cry" to help blur out the many many disappointments. I will be starting the annual 'they don't like it up 'em thread in the next 24 hours - watch it grow.

I have never been banned from any Forum.

I used to post here under another name but when I came back here recently I found I could not log in so I had to join up again.

England will win this game,

tomkins

charnley

Hardaker

watkins

hall

chase

widdop

graham

roby

s .burgess

hock

Westwood

sinfield (if oloughlin dnt make it)

Mcilorom

mossop

hill

g.burgess

The only way ablett can counter inglis is by locking him in the changeroom.

Watkins (right centre) will be opposite Inglis (left centre) anyway; well should be...

Hope England don't fall into the trap of getting over 'pumped-up' for this one.. we've seen teams in the past go into a game so pumped up it has the reverse effect.

Forget the Italy game, thats history. Lets prepare properly to face the best team in the comp. Get focused on what we need to do and execute. We've got enough players with big game experience to handle any situation, lets make sure we remember that fact.

If Ablett is selected in the Centres it is already conceding that England is trying to counteract the opposition rather than playing their own game.

A Club Second rower is not what you want against the best Back in the World.

If Ablett is selected in the Centres it is already conceding that England is trying to counteract the opposition rather than playing their own game.

A Club Second rower is not what you want against the best Back in the World.

Agreed.

My England 17 would be:

1. S Tomkins 2. Charnley 3. Watkins 4. Cudjoe 5. Hall 6. Widdop 7. Chase

8. Graham 9. Sinfield 10. Mossop 11. Hock 12. S Burgess 13. O'Loughlin

14. McIllorum 15. Hill 16. G Burgess 17. Westwood

Plenty of attacking threat and forward aggressiveness across the park with Sinfield to steer the ship around the field. McIllorum is a better option than Roby for this when Sinfield comes off. C

Can't wait!

1 - Tomkins

2 - Charnley

3 - Watkins

4 - Cudjoe

5 - Hall

6 - Widdop

7 - Sinfield

8 - Mossop

9 - Roby

10 - Hill

11 - S.Burgess

12 - Westwood

13 - O'Loughlin

14 - Chase

15 - J.Graham

16 - G.Burgess

17 - Hock

The first 15 minutes are just going to be a bash em competition with a lot of energy spent in the forwards - Hill and Mossop can hold their own in this department.  After 15 I would then bring on Gurgess and Graham to continue bashing holes for these two - Gurgess to continue bashing them, and Graham to do what he does best - take it to the line and either make yards or put Surgess/Westwood through holes.  After 25 minutes then bring on Hock for Westwood.

Graham will then play for the rest of the game, and probably give Sam a 10min breather just after half time.  We need our strongest defenders on the pitch between 55-65 minutes as this is when we tend to ship points

are you a ventriloquist in your spare time.

are you a ventriloquist in your spare time.

Yes Rob Burrow is his Doll

Gruff's team does it for me.

Do you not think having a spare halfback on the bench is a waste? Contunity is key in those positions!

Do you not think having a spare halfback on the bench is a waste? Contunity is key in those positions!

I take the point, but I would see Sinfield reverting to 9 and Chase injecting a bit of something different from the bench.

If we had 2 of the best players in the world in those positions then yes I would.  But we don't so we will find ourselves at times having to mix it up a bit.

I think it's a given Sinfield will play hooker at some point, therefore Chase can move into the scrumhalf position.

Widdop to stay at 6 throughout.

I think having Chase, Widdop and Sinfield on the pitch altogether at certain times throughout the game will gives us a bit more unpredictability.  

I agree.

If Chase has to cover the backs it means a team shuffle, I am not sure if England can afford a shuffle and players out of position as much as a team like Australia can where many of the outside backs and even Half's could play anywhere in the backline.

When Shenton went off back in 2009 England collapsed not so much because of the loss of  Shentons skills but the re shuffle made the team a basketcase and open to Australia's attack.

You need a versatile Bench player that can cover the backs for injuries or a player like Luke Lewis or Bird that is comfortable in the Forwards or backs.

Picking a Bench player only for one role could be a disaster.

I think having Chase, Widdop and Sinfield on the pitch altogether at certain times throughout the game will gives us a bit more unpredictability.  

That's my point, start with Sinfield at hooker. 6 and 7 need to be on the field at kick off and stay in those positions; continuity brings understanding and organisation to the party, something, which interchanging those KEY positions doesn't.

I've added a poll to this thread.

Amazingly, narrow losses don't seem to occur in this fixture. Obviously, we have be flogged a few times by the Aussies but I can only remember an 8-4 defeat in 2004 being within 6 points. Our last few victories against the Aussies were 23-12, 24-12, 20-12 have also not been squeaky bum last minute ones. We are due a victory over them - history does point to that and there has been no win since 2006 which is a long time between drinks.