Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave T

26/10/13: World Cup Game 1 - Australia v England

Who will win?   111 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Australia by 13 points or more
    • Australia by 7 to 12 points
    • Australia by 1 to 6 points
    • Draw
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 13 points or more

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

958 posts in this topic

According to some on here, no one!! can lead a team round like Sinfield. We would be doomed if he got injured and we actually had to play Gareth Widdop at stand off!!!

I think Sean O'Louglin could and I rate the guy but he is injury prone.

According to some on here, no one!! can lead a team round like Sinfield. We would be doomed if he got injured and we actually had to play Gareth Widdop at stand off!!!

Funny I've not read any such things, you wouldn't be indulging in a bit of hyperbole now would you.

If Sinfield gets injured we have a few players who could take up the role because we have a very good squad

I think Sean O'Louglin could and I rate the guy but he is injury prone.

I suspect O'Loughlin might have been the coach's first choice replacement captain if Sinfield was unavailable, but it seems Sean's still not 100%. 

I wonder if he'll be given a go in the next match or whether McNamara will hold off from using him as long as possible until he's more confident in his fitness.

I suspect O'Loughlin might have been the coach's first choice replacement captain if Sinfield was unavailable, but it seems Sean's still not 100%. 

I wonder if he'll be given a go in the next match or whether McNamara will hold off from using him as long as possible until he's more confident in his fitness.

It will be interetsing to find out... Personally, I'd rather see KS at 13 next match with Surgess back in the second row and Chase and Widdop the halves then swap Sinfield for O'Louglin at half time. Mossop and Ablett not to play and Graham back. Would give Widdop his chance and see how O'Loughlin goes. 

Someone's just Tweeted the England selection... to face  Australia... and they Tweeted it 4 minutes ago.

He's right on the ball, isn't he? :blink:

I'll believe the evidence in front of my eyes thanks

horatio-nelson-blind-eye.jpg

Diatribe? :resent:

Well, I would say that just because widdop has performed well in the NRL is no guarantee that he would perform well in an Eng-Aus test outside the Melbourne team. Same, even if he performs well against fiji or Ireland. I think S Mac will look at the first match and think he got the team selection ok... you can't say he got it wrong because the team did perform and you don't know how a different team would have performed... it was the error rate and penalty count that got us in the end. I'm not saying the team would not be better with Widdop but he would have to make a pretty strong case for inclusion... I would have thought this was obvious and not... diatribe...

So without any evidence you did not denounce Widdops ability to perform well at S/O? Or state that he would need a superhuman effort to prove he could be as good as Chase, with words to that effect, diatribe will suffice.

I would veer to the point that, having performed so well in a league far superior, the NRL,  to the S/L, over three seasons, would bear more merit and convey a better class of achievement upon any player.

I ask you yet again 'D.....man' do you consider that either Sinfield or Chase could have done at Melbourne what a much younger and less experienced Gareth Widdop has done at that club?

And whyever you infer that the lad is there simply because Cronk and Smith do everything for him and he just rests upon their laurels, is more than merely a case of ignoring the facts.

Widdop was sorely missed, when injured by Melbourne, that is the reason he was put into the side probably before he ought to have been and was not at all ready to have done so, he is/was an important cog in that team and well worth his salt on his own achievements, not only on the backs of others, as you seem to imply.  

Another question you have conveniently avoided answering as well, Why would Widdop have to "really deliver", in order to impress?

As I also asked and you have deemed not to answer too; when has the Sinfield/Chase combination done that either and, V whom, to date? 

1. So without any evidence you did not denounce Widdops ability to perform well at S/O? Or state that he would need a superhuman effort to prove he could be as good as Chase, with words to that effect, diatribe will suffice.

2a. I ask you yet again 'D.....man' do you consider that either Sinfield or Chase could have done at Melbourne what a much younger and less experienced Gareth Widdop has done at that club?

2b. And whyever you infer that the lad is there simply because Cronk and Smith do everything for him and he just rests upon their laurels, is more than merely a case of ignoring the facts.

3. Another question you have conveniently avoided answering as well, Why would Widdop have to "really deliver", in order to impress?

4. As I also asked and you have deemed not to answer too; when has the Sinfield/Chase combination done that either and, V whom, to date? 

As for points 1+2a/b - I'm not saying Widdop hasn't done well in the NRL nor have I stated that Sinfield or Chase could have done any better.

As for point 3 - look at it another way, if Widdop has an average game against IRELAND or FIJI, S Macnamara won't be picking him to start against NZ or Aus, regardless of his NRL achievements. That's my point. You seem to be saying that even if Widdop has an average game against these teams he should be included anyway because he plays in the NRL. I would disagree!

As for point 4 - I've never said they had.