Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

26/10/13: World Cup Game 2 - Wales v Italy

Who will win?   45 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wales by 13 points or more
    • Wales by 7 to 12 points
    • Wales by 1 to 6 points
    • Draw
    • Italy by 1 to 6 points
    • Italy by 7 to 12 points
    • Italy by 13 points or more

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

108 posts in this topic

Discuss World Cup Game 2 - Wales v Italy here.

Really looking forward to this game as well. What do our Welsh friends think the team should be?

I think Italy came out storming against Eng as they had a point to prove, and won't be as geared up against Wales.

Additionally, this is where the comp begins, not a trial game, and Wales know this is their crunch match - USA and CI should be easier affairs

Really hope for a Wales victory here. Wales have stayed generally quite low profile for this, would be great for them to launch onto the big stage with a victory in front of a big crowd live on BBC2.

Wales have now got a bunch of forwards who can do a lot of damage and hold their own with the best. As long as they start with the likes of Flower, Dudson, James, Kopzcak and Evans, I think they'll get up some momentum.

Wales have now got a bunch of forwards who can do a lot of damage and hold their own with the best. As long as they start with the likes of Flower, Dudson, James, Kopzcak and Evans, I think they'll get up some momentum.

Agreed... and some talented backs too. Wales' problem will be in the halves and possibly full back.  I think it will be a great game to warch, a tough encounter and very close.  Wales to win by 2 points.

Agreed... and some talented backs too. Wales' problem will be in the halves and possibly full back.  I think it will be a great game to warch, a tough encounter and very close.  Wales to win by 2 points.

Didn't you play R Evans there in the warm up fixture? I'd have Ellliot Kear at full back (always impressed for the Crusaders) with Massam and Williams on the wing; plenty of pace and strike power there with R Evans in the centre with someone else. So I'd go with:

1. Kear 2. Massam 3. Roets 4. R Evans 5. Williams 6. Webster 7. Seamark 8. Dudson 9. White 10. Kopzack 11. B Evans 12. Frizzell 13. Flower

14. Budworth 15. James 16. Patrick 17. Lloyd  

Pretty good team I think. Where does Guertjens play?

Didn't you play R Evans there in the warm up fixture? I'd have Ellliot Kear at full back (always impressed for the Crusaders) with Massam and Williams on the wing; plenty of pace and strike power there with R Evans in the centre with someone else. So I'd go with:

1. Kear 2. Massam 3. Roets 4. R Evans 5. Williams 6. Webster 7. Seamark 8. Dudson 9. White 10. Kopzack 11. B Evans 12. Frizzell 13. Flower

Guertjens is a prop.

I'd possibly look at either Lloyd or Frizell at centre. Both can play there and it means they have another full-time pro in the starting 17, and they have a strong enough set of forwards to cover moving one of them.

I think Wales will win this, but not by much.

Guertjens is a prop.

I'd possibly look at either Lloyd or Frizell at centre. Both can play there and it means they have another full-time pro in the starting 17, and they have a strong enough set of forwards to cover moving one of them.

I think Wales will win this, but not by much.

The idea of having Frizell in the centres is a good one.  You'll need someone strong to combat Guerra if he plays in the centres as he did on Saturday.  Emmitt could come on to the bench with James or Patrick in to the starting line up.

Both the Evans boys played in the warm up. Elliot Kear had a reasonably good warmup but there were times where he didn't look to safe under the high ball - to be fair that could just have been the floodlights... and he has been superb for the Bulls this season. I'm not sure Rob Massam will get a game against Italy but he will against USA at his home town.

Emmitt must play, and possibly at 13, so they go with the approach Wigan and Leeds adopt from time to time of 5 big lads. Rhys Evans is a wonderful talent and should play at 1. I wonder whether, had he been at Wigan or Saints, he might not have been playing for England by now...

I would hate Italy to win, as I may have made clear elsewhere, so this game has even greater significance for me.

Guerra looks big playing in the forwards. He's going to make a massive centre.

I would find a place on the bench for Peter Lupton who can cover backs and forwards.

Frizzell hasn't trained for three weeks and only arrived a couple of days ago, so I don't think he'll play on Saturday.

Italy by 14 - buoyed on by their recent success against England, with feet firmly on the ground thanks to Minichello.

A team of NRL players against some part timers and average players

Italy team to take on Wales

1. Anthony Minichiello ©

2. Joshua Mantellato

3. James Tedesco

4. Aiden Guerra

5. Chris Centrone

6. Ben Falcone

7. Ryan Ghietti

8. Anthony Laffranchi

9. Dean Parata

10. Paul Vaughan

11. Mark Minichiello

12. Cameron Ciraldo

13. Joel Riethmuller

Interchange (Two to be omitted)

14. Sam Gardel

15. Ryan Tramonte

16. Brendan Santi

17. Raymond Nasso

18. Tim Maccan

19. Gavin Hiscox

WALES (from)

Neil Budworth   Moranbah Miners

Ross Divorty       Halifax

Gil Dudson          Wigan Warriors

Jacob Emmitt     Salford Red Devils

Ben Evans           Bradford Bulls

Rhys Evans          Warrington Wolves

Ben Flower         Wigan Warriors

Tyson Frizell       St George Illawarra Dragons

Jordan James     Salford Red Devils

Elliot Kear            Bradford Bulls

Craig Kopzcak    Huddersfield Giants

Rhodri Lloyd       Wigan Warriors

Peter Lupton     Workington Town

Larne Patrick      Huddersfield Giants

Matt Seamark   Wynnum Manly Seagulls

Anthony Walker               St Helens

Ian Webster       Central Queensland Capras

Lloyd White        Widnes Vikings

Rhys Williams     Warrington Wolves

I've gone for a quite big Italy win, as I said last time when was Wales even got close to us in a friendly?