Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

26/10/13: World Cup Game 2 - Wales v Italy

Who will win?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wales by 13 points or more
    • Wales by 7 to 12 points
    • Wales by 1 to 6 points
    • Draw
    • Italy by 1 to 6 points
    • Italy by 7 to 12 points
    • Italy by 13 points or more

Wales really needed someone to keep hold of the ball. They didn't have one. They played with heart and I enjoyed the game, but disappointed with the result.

Technically when the Italian players hand brushes the ground with a welsh player on him is that not tackle complete.

Yes, but for me the Welsh player was not on him until he'd passed the ball. I thought he'd knocked on but apparently not, 50/50 IMO

Technically when the Italian players hand brushes the ground with a welsh player on him is that not tackle complete.

I would say not because the Italian player was no longer 'grounded'.

Yes, but for me the Welsh player was not on him until he'd passed the ball. I thought he'd knocked on but apparently not, 50/50 IMO

I thought the side view proved it wasn't a knock on.

The ball carrying arm was on the ground and the Welsh player had hold of him. Does it matter if the Italian was on his feet? Also, as Noble pointed out, there was an Italian player offside.

I also thought the earlier try was unlucky because White had his hand under the ball so it wasn't grounded. 

A couple of dodgy calls for mine, and I'm peed off to see a genuine nation lose out to an utterly fake one. But there you go.

The ball carrying arm was on the ground and the Welsh player had hold of him. Does it matter if the Italian was on his feet? Also, as Noble pointed out, there was an Italian player offside.

I also thought the earlier try was unlucky because White had his hand under the ball so it wasn't grounded. 

A couple of dodgy calls for mine, and I'm peed off to see a genuine nation lose out to an utterly fake one. But there you go.

I think it does matter that the Italian player was on his feet. Without poring over the laws of the game I'm pretty sure that simply putting your hand on an opponent to complete the tackle only relates to a player who is lying on the ground.  

I think it does matter that the Italian player was on his feet. Without poring over the laws of the game I'm pretty sure that simply putting your hand on an opponent to complete the tackle only relates to a player who is lying on the ground.  

Yes but if the ball carrying arm is on the ground and the defender has touch then it's a  tackle. No?

Yes but if the ball carrying arm is on the ground and the defender has touch then it's a  tackle. No?

As I understand it, only if the ball carrier is lying on the ground. If he regains his feet the defender has to effect a tackle in the normal manner.

Correct interpretation by the VR (I think).

Edit: I do see where you're coming from. I just think it's come down to interpretation in the end.

Well tried boys. We  defended like demons but didn't have much creativity in attack. I think we'd have won if Lee Briers had made himself available. All we can do is move on and, seeing as we don't have much maverick, we'll just have to  work on a better offload game.

I thought Peter Lupton made a big improvement off the bench and should be the starting hooker.

Matt Seamark, Ian Webster and Neal Budworth looked, understandably,  a bit off the pace and I'd only have (at most) two of them in the 17 for the next game. I'd give Christiaan Roets or Rob Massam a go.

Isn't he grounded by having the ball carrying arm on the floor

I'm not talking about when the Italian player fell on the floor but when he regained his feet. As he passed the ball the ball carrying hand touched the floor and there definatly was a welsh player in contact at the time.

Wales played with a lot of heart but were a bit one dimensional

imo, echoed of Harris's coaching time at the old Crusaders, in fact it looked like nothing had changed in his tactics.

regards 7

Wales thought very well today although I feel Italy had alot more to give and dint get out of 2nd gear Wales did they nation proud and lets remember this is a team without heritage stars and the key for Wales is to keep building with the young players and carry on the great development work

Italy are a disgrace and a sham. It would be so much better if they had the hinesty simply to call themselves Sydney Italians and have done.

A proper national team being rebuilt on solid foundations for the first time in 100 years deserved better than to come up against an NRL select combination.

I saw enough to believe Wales can beat Cooks and USA, as the Sydneysiders group is much harder and the other 2 teams in it will win their cross group games.

Wales' problem is that they are trying to play without 6, 7 or 9. That'll be too much in the end.

Incidentally, wonderful to see Rhys Evans playing so well at 1. He looked like the player he was 2 years ago.

Italy are a disgrace and a sham. It would be so much better if they had the hinesty simply to call themselves Sydney Italians and have done.

A proper national team being rebuilt on solid foundations for the first time in 100 years deserved better than to come up against an NRL select combination.

I saw enough to believe Wales can beat Cooks and USA, as the Sydneysiders group is much harder and the other 2 teams in it will win their cross group games.

Wales' problem is that they are trying to play without 6, 7 or 9. That'll be too much in the end.

Incidentally, wonderful to see Rhys Evans playing so well at 1. He looked like the player he was 2 years ago.

I agree. Wales need Briers so badly and Lloyd White in at Hooker IMO, not quick enough for a half back.

The only consolation for Italy I guess is that the players seem Italian when you read their names, but then again the after match interviews are horrific.

I agree. Wales need Briers so badly and Lloyd White in at Hooker IMO, not quick enough for a half back.

The only consolation for Italy I guess is that the players seem Italian when you read their names, but then again the after match interviews are horrific.

Yeh really thought briers would have 1 last go with Wales and he's needed desperately, Lloyd white is a talent someone I rate but is a hooker not a half. Tbf when you look at the Italian lineup they all look like Italian names obviously the problem is some of these guys won't play again or would switch to aus if given the chance

Italy aren't a disgrace, the rules are a disgrace. Agreed on Wales playing without enough direction of pivots and definite agreement on Rhys Evans

Nothing wrong with Italy. The rules are there, they're playing to them. They have more Italian players than the Cook Islands have Cook Islanders, but no-ones complaining about them!

Yeh really thought briers would have 1 last go with Wales and he's needed desperately, Lloyd white is a talent someone I rate but is a hoover not a half. Tbf when you look at the Italian lineup they all look like Italian names obviously the problem is some of these guys won't play again or would switch to aus if given the chance

As much as I agree that the Italian team has potential to be embarrassing, I don't think the players are so mercenary if I am honest. Aren't they in effect playing for nothing?

I will be supporting Ireland on Monday night but don't sound very Irish.

Whatever you may think of the "Italians" selection, it does not take away from the fact that Italy played very well and were great value for their win. Thought that the Azzuri showed some really good ball handling skills, particularly Mantellato with his outrageous offload. People were writing last week that England should never lose to Italy, but why not? Italy proved today they have a good team and plenty of creativity.