Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

28/10/13: World Cup Match 5 - Fiji v Ireland

Who will win?   41 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Fiji by 13 points or more
    • Fiji by 7 to 12 points
    • Fiji by 1 to 6 points
    • Draw
    • Ireland by 1 to 6 points
    • Ireland by 7 to 12 points
    • Ireland by 13 points or more

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

265 posts in this topic

"new rule change for next season - youre not allowed to return the ball from the kick-off at less than 30mph or its a penalty...."

gets my vote!

I don't know how the players are going to cope with kick offs at a faster speed, the way some heads have been whipping back in contact is unblievable. At the risk of sounding over dramatic, they truly are superhuman. Contact sport at it's most brutal.

Just finished watching it. This World Cup is coming up trumps big time.

I thought the Irish put in an effort they can be very proud of, I really enjoyed their commitment. I was particularly impressed with Scott Grix, good player.

Also good to see yet another Raider (White) put in a very respectable performance. Hopefully Papalii gets a chance against Fiji now.

Let's keep this tournament rolling. Enter Tonga/Scotland...

Agreed, Grix took an absolute battering at times but kept coming back for more, fair play to him. Thought Eamon O'Carroll put in some mammoth carries as well, even having two tackles in that staggering first set of six!

Grixy isn't the best player, but he puts everything he has into a game every time he puts his boots on, if medals were given for effort and courage he'd have plenty

Is Jarryd Hayne injured?

No, he's Australian (again) Just like Uate is Fijian (again)

Ashton Sims is a lively soul ! Glad big Sam will be back for the Fiji game ... Ashton versus big Sam will kick off !

SIMS BROTHERS VS THE BURGESS BROTHERS.................... I KNOW WHO WOULD WIN!!!

No, he's Australian (again) Just like Uate is Fijian (again)

Do we want the best players playing in this tournament or not ?

I don't have a problem with players changing sides - it's just something we have to cope with as a sport.  It's an economic issue.

I enjoyed the game and also, the beer, fish and chips and me missus and daughter enjoyed the pie's.   All in all a good old fashioned RL experience, oh and yeah the long walk in the rain to the car added as well - took me back to days of ole....

More seriously the Fijians tried to intimidate the Irish, but it was really good to see the Irish not allowed themselves to be bullied.  Having said that some of the tackling was brutal at times, no problem with that as it was fair, but some was thuggish and how it took so long for a Fiji player to be sin-binned was surprising, even then it wasn't main culprit.  The game is tough enough especially playing the Fijians without some of the cheap shots from them.  How on earth the number 8 wasn't sent to the sin-bin instead of just being talked to on a number of occasions makes you wonder why he isn't on report given the Sam Burgess high tackle example, this fellow was a serial offender.

The Irish did have plenty of ball and territory after the first blistering 15 mins from the Fijians but the Fiji defence was too good for the Irish who always struggled to create real opportunities. Whereas the Fiji team looked dangerous whenever they got into the Irish half.

Best team won but whilst enjoying the physical nature of the Fijians they did overstep the mark and should have been more seriously punished sooner than the eventually sin-binning (unfortunately for the person sent as it was obviously one of those "the next man" situations)  which led to cooling tempers, although this was helped by the number 8 being interchanged and off the field for a good while.

The Irish side manned up facing a truly muscled and full on side of ripped athletes...credit to them and their excellent coach!

ps I would not have fancied 80 minutes of that whatever the pay check!

Really enjoyed my day out in Rochdale. http://southwakefieldsharks.wordpress.com/2013/10/29/fiji-bati-a-song-a-smile-and-a-smack/

Great crowd, didn't really believe all that about Rochdale & Fiji, but it's true. Brutal match.

Now on my way to Workington to see Tonga give it to Scotland.

Enjoyed reading yer little blog... funny enough we had a beer in the Flying Horse. As you say a nice beer, some cheap food on the go and a walk to the ground.  I sneaked in some fish and chips from chippy opposite Wilbutts Lane Stand end plus prior to that had a few beers in the club pub at the ground, The Ratcliffe I think its called so if yer ever get back pop in there for a pint and a pie, assuming you can fit it in without spoiling the fish and chips.    

BUMP

Fantastic photos - especially like the ones of Petero 

Stu Littler looks like he is photo bombing 19