Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

30/10/13: World Cup Match 7 - USA v Cook Islands

Who will win?   35 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• USA by 13 points or more
    • USA by 7 to 12 points
    • USA by 1 to 6 points
    • Draw
    • Cook Islands by 1 to 6 points
    • Cook Islands by 7 to 12 points
    • Cook Islands by 13 points or more

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

229 posts in this topic

Discuss World Cup Match 7 - USA v Cook Islands here.

I had no idea on this one. After the warm-up matches, I still have no idea who'll win. :no2:

I would have said the Cook Islands but after the USA beat France, who knows....

I would have said the Cook Islands but after the USA beat France, who knows....

Going to see the Cook Islands train on Thursday - David Farleigh says he has a brutal session planned, so that could be worth seeing. Incidentally, it is open to the public - 9.30 at SGS College WISE Campus in Filton. The players will be signing autographs and taking photographs with fans afterwards.

This week the Cook Islands have also got two school visits, a civic reception, a public meet and greet and have been asked to appear live on BBC Radio Bristol. So there's plenty being done to promote the match.

I'm biased now - the Kukis all the way!

All I can do is stand and applaud the efforts made by those promoting the Bristol game.  The output on here is fantastic.

I don't know what efforts are being made at other locations but Bristol would certainly be near the top of the list if awards were being given for best promotion by host venue.

So looking forward to watching this. I would love the Cookies to win, but fear for them after last week end. Be good to see Gelling and Pettybourne. Given the background, my preference would be for the Cookies, but I just can't wait. I hope there'll be a decent crowd. Wallace and Gromit don't know what they're missing.

I wouldn't read much into the Cooks loss to NZ.  NZ could quite easily have done that to both France and USA and possibly a bit more.  The Cooks have some good standard NRL players in key positions.  Isaac John had a good run in the halves for Penrith this year.  I don't recall Dylan Napa playing against NZ and he is a very good young player at the Roosters who left his mark on many a player this year. 

Kukis all the way...... but then I'm biased :-)

The heavyweights of world Rugby League collide in Bristol! I am off there too being a Bath resident now and am looking forward to it immensely. It may not be a massive crowd but it's not for want of trying that's for sure. I think they are missing a trick by not having a combine harvester half time show as that would double the attendance.

I would like the Cooks to win given their native roster and that the Iros are a couple of my favourite players from the 1980s. Hopefully Rugby League will be the winner!

The Cook Islanders performed their Haka at Watershed in Bristol last night, right out of the blue at the end of an event in their honour.

Youtube footage here:

WCE - I know there's a crowd thread elsewhere, but I assumed you had some inside info - what's the expected crowd? I read 1,500, which would still be fine, but I'd be interested to know how much room we would need to take up to make it look presentable? We could all wear fat suits to make the terrace seem fuller, and/or bring along "people" made from pillows and coats if that would help.

No idea on ticket sales, to be honest - even those closest to it (council officials, local RLWC reps etc) don't seem to know. The 1.500 is a base figure that seems accurate, as far as I know, as of a few weeks ago. They're expecting a decent walk up and there's loads more promotion happening between now and then, so hopefully we can push it up more.

There should be some major items on BBC local news/TV/radio over coming days, which should help, plus plenty in the local paper. Indications are that plenty of people will decide at the last minute - if the weather's OK the crowd should be decent.

The "Mem" is usually good, atmosphere wise, even with low crowds… just ask Bristol Rovers supporters ;)

What's the best way to get to the memorial from temple meads? Being a plymuff boy bristol scares me. ;)

What's the best way to get to the memorial from temple meads? Being a plymuff boy bristol scares me. ;)

There are buses from outside Temple Meads/across the road that go up Gloucester Road (the Mem is just off Glos Road). Or, change at Temple Meads and get a train to Montpellier station, walk down to Gloucester Rd (a couple of minutes) and get a bus (5/10 mins depending on traffic) up the road and get off by the "Mem".

Those are probably the best options. There's a good real ale boozer near the ground - The Wellington, I think it's called. Bath Ales place.

This is part of what makes the World Cup so exciting for me is games like this were its hard to pridict again you would say the cooks but after USA win and couple of players to come in who know, I'll go for close win for the cooks

Had a chance to watch the Cooks training up close today - some brutal conditioning going on, and the weights they were lifting in the gym were massive. The reporters from BBC local radio and TV were certainly impressed.

All seems to be hotting up here - more promotional events over the weekend and lots more interview requests rolling in. Seems like interest is growing.

Captain Zeb Taia and some of the other lads visited Mangotsfield School today, which went down well - both secondary and primary age kids got some coaching and were allowed to ask questions during a Q&A. Lots of enthusiasm from the kids, who mobbed the team coach as it left. All great stuff! When we started the Sonics 11 years ago, I never thought I'd see anything like this on our patch!

There are buses from outside Temple Meads/across the road that go up Gloucester Road (the Mem is just off Glos Road). Or, change at Temple Meads and get a train to Montpellier station, walk down to Gloucester Rd (a couple of minutes) and get a bus (5/10 mins depending on traffic) up the road and get off by the "Mem".

Those are probably the best options. There's a good real ale boozer near the ground - The Wellington, I think it's called. Bath Ales place.

It is indeed. Lots of good real ale boozers in the area. The Annexe next to the cricket ground is recommended and does great pizzas. The Inn on the Green opposite Horfield Sports Centre is also excellent. A bit further down Gloucester Rd the Robin Hood Retreat and The Prince of Wales are worth a visit. 

Plenty of places along Gloucester Rd to eat as well.

Looking forward to this game.

How long do you reckon it'll take to get back to Temple Meads after the game? I need to be on the half ten train to Paddington, as we're off to the Avignon game and have a flight to France from Luton at six on Thursday morning. Squeaky bum time, maybe!

Had a chance to watch the Cooks training up close today - some brutal conditioning going on, and the weights they were lifting in the gym were massive. The reporters from BBC local radio and TV were certainly impressed.

All seems to be hotting up here - more promotional events over the weekend and lots more interview requests rolling in. Seems like interest is growing.

Captain Zeb Taia and some of the other lads visited Mangotsfield School today, which went down well - both secondary and primary age kids got some coaching and were allowed to ask questions during a Q&A. Lots of enthusiasm from the kids, who mobbed the team coach as it left. All great stuff! When we started the Sonics 11 years ago, I never thought I'd see anything like this on our patch!

Hope stuff like this makes you believe all your hard graft promoting the game has been worthwhile, come on the TommaRoo's