Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

30/10/13: World Cup Match 7 - USA v Cook Islands

Who will win?   35 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• USA by 13 points or more
    • USA by 7 to 12 points
    • USA by 1 to 6 points
    • Draw
    • Cook Islands by 1 to 6 points
    • Cook Islands by 7 to 12 points
    • Cook Islands by 13 points or more

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

229 posts in this topic

Looking forward to this game.

How long do you reckon it'll take to get back to Temple Meads after the game? I need to be on the half ten train to Paddington, as we're off to the Avignon game and have a flight to France from Luton at six on Thursday morning. Squeaky bum time, maybe!

Your best bet will be to grab a cab. You'll probably have to leave before full time for a bus to catch that train.

This promises to be an intriguing evening - another mostly newbie crowd I imagine with unfamiliar players and unknown quantity teams. First chance to see fast Eddie P, while Gelling can be a one man entertainment package when he puts his mind to it.

I've just screwed up here. Out on the road this week I have to be in Bath late morning Thursday after 2 days in London. Without thinking I decided to stay on in London and now can't change my booking - would have loved to have seen this match. :fie:

I'll be travelling in from London (Northwood) and will be flying solo so if anyone needs a lift back etc, let me know. Happy to help out!

Any updates to how sales are going and expected crowd

Not officially, though the numbers I've heard are very good and we're expecting a decent walk-up, so I'd expect it to be pretty good. Sales apparently very brisk last week - big surge, which is great.

Do we know how many tickets have been sold for this?

I've already answered this one. Basically, no official figures have been released, but suffice to say the heads-up I've been given suggests that sales have been going incredibly well over the last week. We should be looking at a bigger crowd than many expected, and a decent one at that. The weather is supposedly set fair and we expect a decent walk-up to boost figures as well.

So, basically, wait and see :)

Lots of street parking nearby but can get quite busy. I'd suggest head the other side of the Gloucester Rd and park off Kellaway Ave. About a 5 minute walk from the ground.

I've already answered this one. Basically, no official figures have been released, but suffice to say the heads-up I've been given suggests that sales have been going incredibly well over the last week. We should be looking at a bigger crowd than many expected, and a decent one at that. The weather is supposedly set fair and we expect a decent walk-up to boost figures as well.

So, basically, wait and see :)

Sorry was rushing.

Sorry was rushing.

Ticket sales story in the Bristol Evening Post tomorrow, I think. Figure being banded around is impressive. According to "sources" two sides of the ground are sold out, with another (standing) looking like it might be pretty packed as well. There's one side (the one they're filmimg from) closed as it stands, but they'll open if there's enough demand.

At an estimate, I'd say easily over 5,000. Could still be higher.

Some words about Rugby League's rise in Bristol over the last decade, which hopefully should put into context what a remarkable story it is that we have a RLWC match in the city: http://www.bristolsonics.com/world-cup-match-caps-rugby-leagues-rise-in-bristol/

Nice article!

My train leaves Temple Meads at 22:10... I hope I don't have to miss any of the match... Would you say it's a 20 minute walk?

Nice article!

My train leaves Temple Meads at 22:10... I hope I don't have to miss any of the match... Would you say it's a 20 minute walk?

Longer than that - probably 15/20 minutes on the bus. Taxi probably your best option. Does the train stop at Bristol Parkway/go from Parkway? That's a bit closer (though still public transport/taxi territory)

Longer than that - probably 15/20 minutes on the bus. Taxi probably your best option. Does the train stop at Bristol Parkway/go from Parkway? That's a bit closer (though still public transport/taxi territory)

Yes it does! Parkway 22:47. Isn't Parkway very very far from the Memorial though?? How much would a taxi to Parkway cost?? Is there a bus?

Yes it does! Parkway 22:47. Isn't Parkway very very far from the Memorial though?? How much would a taxi to Parkway cost?? Is there a bus?

I'm pretty sure buses do run from Gloucester Road (couple of minutes walk) to somewhere near parkway. It's 2.8 miles in total - probably 10 minutes drive at that time of night.

The other option is to get a bus into the city centre, down Gloucester Road (around every 5-10 minutes I think),then either walk or get a txi the rest of the way.

I still think getting a taxi to Parkway would be your best option, since the train is going later. Not sure on price… maybe 6 or 7 quid? That way you'll have a bit more time after the match (which should end around 10pm I'd have thought)

Brilliant thanks for your help il get a taxi

Nice article!

Definitely get a taxi.

sadly after my sojourn to the wilds of cumbria last night i can't make this game, but will be watching on the box. go tomahawks

Part of me wants the USA to do well because I still foolishly think the Yanks will eventually take to the Greatest Game :sclerosis:

However, the Cook Islands have got the population of (insert small provincial town name here) so they've got to be the minnows against the behemoth that is the USA!

Just hope for a good game

Kukis all the way...... but then I'm biased :-)

I was stood on that Island, Cookie (your Avatar) almost 12 years ago. Had a great 10 days there.

Come on you Cooks!