Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

superten

london broncos

61 posts in this topic

Get someone in charge of the club who knows what they're doing. thats the best place to start.

Well, the RFL bought Odsal for Bradford and they found a saviour for Salford, let's see if they have anything for London.

It's not looking good though. Might have to play the Lotto tonight.

I am all for London having an increased salary cap, but you can really think it should be three times the salary cap for teams up north? How come the London wieghting isn't that much for other professions (which do see northerners going down south)?

EDIT: Sorry, just read what you said again - it's not JUST the money, but the better jobs being up north. I take it this means winning teams too. But would making London able to just completely buy their way to the top whilst also denying other clubs (e.g. Salford) not be a bit, well, wrong?

I'm no expert on economics, but with house prices in London over 300% higher than equivalents in the north coupled with the lack of local talent in sufficient numbers to draw upon (compared to say Leeds which has Bradford, Wakey, Cas etc on its doorstep), I would guess that you would need around 3x the money to entice quality players to enable you to run a successful SL club in London.

Whether it is 'fair' all depends on your perspective and the definition of 'fair'. Some people think that London should have the same proportion of TV money as the northern clubs to allow a level playing field. But given the economical issues and lack of players that London have to contend with, it isn't anything like a level playing field. I.e. £1.8 million in London will likely buy the same quality of team that £0.6 million would up north.

Regardless of whether it is 'fair' or not, I cannot see London ever being successful as long as they essentially have to compete with one hand tied behind their back. I've heard many people argue that if you're expanding your business into new areas, then greater money needs to be ploughed into the venture to ensure its success. This would certainly need to be the case with London.

So will Salford VW

all the lancashire clubs will mate, i am sick of hearing the same old drivel about my club when it is just that......drivel

Well, the RFL bought Odsal for Bradford and they found a saviour for Salford, let's see if they have anything for London.

It's not looking good though. Might have to play the Lotto tonight.

actually mate eamon mcmanus found a saviour for salford fat nige just jumped on the band wagon, he even stole the rallying call i gave to ashley gibson on twitter....."save our salford" all the rfl have done is look after yorkshire clubs making sure they keep them in super league, i wouldn't be surprised if one day it came that they asked crusaders to fall on their proverbial sword to save wakefield.

Having been down here for over 20 years, I think the only things we need to achieve in London are - sustaining the massive strides on the junior/amateur side and having enough events in London to keep league followers in the city engaged/happy. I don't think we need an SL club based here to do those things. Londoners simply don't feel attached to "London" in the same way that people in other places do. Hence, we don't need to worry about losing a "London" fan base, because it was only ever going to be an impossible dream. What the world record crowd at Wembley in 3 weeks will show, once again, is that there is massive interest in TGG, if the game is good enough.

5 big events a year, the Skolars and a Championship Broncos and all will be very well indeed.

In this week of all weeks, everything is possible!

Having been down here for over 20 years, I think the only things we need to achieve in London are - sustaining the massive strides on the junior/amateur side and having enough events in London to keep league followers in the city engaged/happy. I don't think we need an SL club based here to do those things. Londoners simply don't feel attached to "London" in the same way that people in other places do. Hence, we don't need to worry about losing a "London" fan base, because it was only ever going to be an impossible dream. What the world record crowd at Wembley in 3 weeks will show, once again, is that there is massive interest in TGG, if the game is good enough.

5 big events a year, the Skolars and a Championship Broncos and all will be very well indeed.

just read london league taking 1900 to wembley-not all in vain -if departed.

This.

As I posted on another thread, I'm a southerner with no rugby league roots, but grew up watching RL on Grandstand in the 80s, and I bet there are millions like me. Was never interested in treking a long way to see the Broncos but would be interested in a more local club, even if at a lower level. But main draw is big events a Wembley like CC and internationals. Aussies should play at Wembley every year, just like the RU team does at Twickers. Would become a regular fixture on the London sporting calendar. This World Cup has really caught peoples interest - we're bringing up 8 from Sussex for the Wembley semis - people will always turn out for elite international sport, whatever it is. Don't waste this chance RFL!

How big a influence on the amatuer game have the Broncos had though. There must surely be a lot of youngsters down there that want to play at a high level but would never concider moving up north for one reason or another.

If they give up on London i think that could spell the end of the expansion dream, which surprise surprise is exactly what some people want.

It does seem extreme to give them 3 clubs money fair enough, but it may attract the right invester and set the job up right  once and for all, the finding of the right ground would be vital as well i would think.

actually mate eamon mcmanus found a saviour for salford fat nige just jumped on the band wagon, he even stole the rallying call i gave to ashley gibson on twitter....."save our salford" all the rfl have done is look after yorkshire clubs making sure they keep them in super league, i wouldn't be surprised if one day it came that they asked crusaders to fall on their proverbial sword to save wakefield.

You and Fev had to fall on their proverbial swords to let Broncos in in the first place! It was an insult to those two clubs to keep London at the bottom of SL all those years without giving them extra favours to help them become a top club. In other words, what was the point in damaging the games finest hotspots of local talent without going the whole hog and making sure that the Broncos won trophies?